“Shocking” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Shocking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

The rooms were infested with swarms of ants, the floors were as dirty as the streets, the beds were like sleeping on a pavement, the pillows were like resting your head on rocks, there was very limited hot water for showers and the rooms were very cold. When you woke up it felt like you was in a freezer and was on the brink of getting frost bite. Not very nice at all.

When informing the manager it was possible to mistake him as a tramp and was dressed like someone who was homeless. He issued a brush to deal with the ants and along with some ant killer. He made no effort to take a look at the situation and quite clearly didn’t care.

The manager did nothing but moan. He was badly mannered and nothing but annoying. Downstairs was a seating area with sofas but if you were to use them you must remain in dead silent as if you were at a funeral or he would start complaining and say there was a charge for excess noise.

In terms of meals it was shocking. Breakfast was just bread rolls and a drink which was hardly going to fill you up especially when the manager limited it to 2 per person. The evening meal wasn’t much better. The menu was fixed and you had no choice it was a starter and a main meal so if you didn’t like it you had to starve. Additionally everything was served drowned in olive oil which made it very greasy and sickly.

Upstairs where the owners of the hotel lived, there was constant noise and along with this the traffic outside was horrendous. Anyone would think there was a football match on with bobozela horns going off. All of this made it very difficult to sleep as you were constantly been disturbed.

I’m sure there must be much nicer hotels in their area where you get better value and services. Visit at your own risk.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hungarian first
Sarvar, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

In September 2010 we spent 6 nights in this hotel (my parents - both aged 53, my brother - aged 26 and me). We had 2 double rooms next to each other on the 3rd floor.

There wasn't any problem with rooms, or bathrooms, they were poor furnished, but clean - maybe they know, that in Italy you would not spend your time in the room! :)

There weren't any other rooms on this floor, but the hotel owner's flat, and a small terracce with a jacuzzi out of order... :(

Unfortunately we had a lot problems with the staff: they cannot speak German or English, only Italian. They smile a lot, but they cannot help you, after you made yourself understood, they did not fix the problems. The breakfast was very-very poor: all the same every day, and from the 3rd morning, not 3 then 4 slices of cold buffett for 4 people! Oh, and of course, 3 slices of cheese for 4 people. Butter and jam for all day, but nothing else...

We had half board in this hotel, we had to choose from 2 menus for the next day. The dinner included 3 course: cold / warm starter or some soup, main dish and dessert. The dishes were tasteful, but so much little!
We had to take a sit every evening by the same table (our number was 108), so they had to know, that we are 4, for all 6 mornings and 6 evenings. Some times we get only 3 glasses, or 4 glasses, but 3 covers, or 2 covers with 4 glasses, we did not get the menu what we have choosen 1 day before, some times we were asked what we would like to have for drink, some times not. We ordered red wine and get white wine and so on. Only on 1 day from the 6 was everything perfect.

The flat of the owner was next to our room on the 3rd floor. This man is not for the guests in his hotel! He slamed the door of his flat so much noisy 5-6 times every night, that I could kill him. It was totally impossible to sleep because of him. "Nice" hotel owner.

On the 2nd day I needed an iron. I talked to the receptionist on the first evening, she told me, that they have it, and of course I can use it every time. Ok, I thought, than I'll come back next morning, because it was too late. Next day, her colleague told me, that they do not have any iron. And I cannot iron here. I have to ask it after 8 o' clock. We had some program, so we had to leave the hotel, but I tried to get the iron once in the afternoon. I talked to the hotel owner then. He absolutely cannot help me. I am not too good in Activity playing, but it is not too hard to show if you need an iron, or a hair dryer. Why hair dryer? I got a hair dryer when I showed I need an iron. So, that was the point I gave it up.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

This hotel is nothing fancy, but convinient, good value and boasts gorgeous views. Ensure you get a room overlooking the sea other rooms can get very noisy as they look to the busy street. At the restaurant you can find a good food for prices cheaper than in Sorrento. The hotel does not have a private beach but there is a free public beach and a couple of private beaches below. Although the beach is right below you will need 5 minutes to the get down to it.
This hotel is within 5-7 minutes walk to the train station and Sorrento is the second stop and it only 4-minutes ride to Sorrento. Same train opposite direction will take to Napoli (take just over an hour). Trains run every 1/2 hours until around 11:45. From Sorrento you can take buses or boats to visit Positano, Amalfi, etc or boats to Capri.
Overall is a great value stay with gorgeous views.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
North Hollywood, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at this Hotel. The entire staff was so helpful and friendly. The breakfast was wonderful and we sat on the terrace overlooking the beautiful marina.
Our room was lovely and we had a small balcony with an incredible view of the Bay.

The value was very good, only 50 euros a night and we would recommend this to any couple or family who wants to avoid the crowds of Sorrento.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

I visited La Ripetta with my school. The first impression of the room was bad as it was very dirty and unplesant. We then discovered that the toilet had no seat on it so was very uncomfortable and unhygenic. The view from the window was plesant during the day but at night there was a great deal of noise with cars honking and people shouting. After many trips to the beach which turned out to be more of a hike than a two step walk as there was many slopes leading down taking over 5 minuites. Then it was discovered that the rooms were not cleaned on a regular basis as sand was nevery being swept up. The only way for it to be cleaned was if me and my friends made a pile of it so that it would be very hard to miss. After many times of this we got fed up and went to reception and requested a broom as the sand and muck was unbearable. Due to the air conditioning being broken the room was stuffy. A very bad review to this hotel as too many faults were found! Italy lovely though!

• Stayed May 2009
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

A very nice stay for the price but be very aware of a few things. First, if you are staying in the summer time, for some reason they turn the AC off at 11 PM rather shuting it off during the day when you are usually not there. Secondly, be careful that if your room is in a certain spot (II believe our room was 109, and that probably was the temp in the room after 11) if you openned the small balcony doors (no screens so anything could fly in) you can hear the kitchen help till 3 AM banging pots and pans. Even if you shut the doors the vibration through the thin walls was unbearable. We asked for a fan and got it and they moved us later to a room farther from the kitchen. Be aware that there is not alot to do around the area and I would be careful about walking from the train station to the hotel at night. Not that it is dangerous, but it is dark and there are not alot of people around as you walk. So you lose on taxi fare into Sorrento. Otherwise, spend most of the daylight hours sightseeing. The staff is nice and helpful, breakfast room is beautiful, nice view. For 95 Euros sort of bargain

• Liked — Great front desk help
  • Disliked — No AC at night
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Castlecomer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

We cannot say enough good things about La Ripetta, None of us spoke Italian but that was no problem as all on reception speak excellent English , The Manager has to be one of the most obliging people you could ever meet in ANY hotel , We found La Ripetta spotless and even the cleaning lady greeted you with a smile , The food of course was excellent and the staff in that area also friendly and effecient , so, if you are thinking of visiting Sorrento ? don't mind the walk from Piano Di Sorrento to the main town of Sorrento , it will be well worth it to stay at La Ripetta.

• Liked — The warm and friendly atmosphere supplied by all the staff members
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Ripetta? Share your experiences!