“Great Location, Bad Room...still won my heart!” 3 of 5 stars

La Ripetta
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ripa di Cassano 4, 80063 Piano di Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Great Location, Bad Room...still won my heart!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The hotel greets travellers with a beautiful contemporary entrance hall. Staff very very friendly overall and the daytime team proficient in english. Meals in the restaurant were incredible, especially the seafood. The room itself is very small and very basic compared to even budget rooms in the USA. There was no ironing board or iron, even upon request. The only english tv channel was CNN. The bathroom is sufficient but very small with a shower curtain that literally became a very close and personal new friend. :-(
The air conditioning could not cope but opening the windows at night when facing the ocean provides a nice cool breeze. Overall I would describe the room itself as terrible but this property won my heart during my week long stay due to many redeeming features like to staff, the cuisine and the spectacular sunsets enjoyed with very inexpensive but great wine.

Room Tip: Book a sea view!!! Only option.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had a change of plan whilst on our holiday to Italy and ended up booking an extra night in Sant'Agnello. As our hotel had no rooms available we decided to try one night at La Ripetta. On our first night in Sant'Agnello we were staying at a place down the road and went out to look for a place to eat. We saw the hotel and realised it was where we would be staying later that week. After struggling to find anywhere else we decided to give the restaurant a try. HUGE MISTAKE. It was by far the WORST experience we have EVER had eating out. The staff we so incredibly rude. On arrival we were sat outside and could not help but be amazed by the view. There is no doubt that it was impressive. It is a shame that it was all that was impressive about this restaurant.

We eventually ordered our starters and waited a long time before they were brought out. My partner ordered ham and mozzarella and I ordered the bruschetta. After too long waiting they brought out ham and mozzarella and ... a steak?! My partner went to speak to another waiter who we felt spoke better English. His response? "What you want. I am very very busy" in the most rude tone you can imagine. Our waiter heard as well and so did bring out the correct starter. This bruschetta was a piece of pizza bread with a tiny amount of tomatoes. Not the Italian cuisine expected. After finishing, the rude waiter then also brought out a bruschetta and was angry that we had already had it. Poor communication between the staff. The steak remained sat on our table throughout the whole meal. As for the mains, my partner ordered pizza which was ok. I ordered a pasta which was inedible. It was the most greasy, fatty pasta dish I have ever had with no nice flavour to it and chewy, nasty meat. I could not eat it. We then waited... and waited ... until eventually the rude waiter came to clear our table. He asked why we had not eaten the steak despite the fact we had said it was the wrong order. He picked up my pasta and said something to the other waiter which we are sure was him swearing in Italian. No one came over again and so we had to go in to get the bill. My partner refused to pay the full amount, including the added service charge as the service was disgusting and for my dish as I could not eat it. The woman was rude and unhappy with the fact that we wouldn't pay the full amount. DO NOT EAT HERE. Go somewhere like Da Peppino's in Sant'Agnello - a much better experience.

We were really concerned after this experience about what the hotel would be like but in actual fact it was very different. The manager was really lovely and offered us a free lift to the station on our departure. The rooms were nice and the view was stunning. Just don't be fooled by the pictures. The spa and jacuzzi area are only available to those who book.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was at La Ripetta with a school and have many comments about this hotel. To start with the positives the hotel had a very nice terrace and lounge area which were good socialising areas. The terrace itself had fantastic views as did the seaview rooms. Personally I was in a street view room which did not have air condition but was easy to keep cool with the windows. It was very loud though. The mattress was solid and was on a wooden board not springs and there was only one pillow which was much too soft. The room had two singles and a bunk (I was in a single) There was very little room to move about in the room. The bathroom was average although after your shower the floor was very wet. I was pleased with the staff and they helped us to sort out an incident that occurred during our trip. The rest of the group reported having ants in their room and a blood stained pillow. The food was average. The pasta was okay but the meat often contained gristle and muscle. The breakfast was to say the least shocking as it consisted of croissants, small rolls and cornflakes with juice and a hot drink if wanted and they were fairly horrible. This hotel is okay for a short school trip but poor if you want a two week holiday in this area.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are quieter and have a better view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel is located on cliff side, beside a little fishing port. Really nice lobby freshly painted. Employee only speeks italian and a little bit of english, adds to the vacation. Good overall food, great wine. Basic room with a beautiful view. The dinning room's view is magnificent. Gellato place just in front with good prices and awesome gellato. 10min from sorrento. There is everything you need !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I dont like writing bad reviews, but while on holiday in Italy myself and my partner went for dinner here. The view was lovely, but the service was terrible.
We where staying only down the road so thought we would try it out. While waiting in the queue to be seated, the staff actually ignored us to seat other people behind us, and people just arriving - they didn't have reservations, they just didn't like us because we where tourists I guess!
The staff were hostile towards us, and no hello, or thank you where given. I can understand they may be fed up with tourists but we where friendly and did no complain, therefore felt our treatment was very unfair.
The food was average, and a over priced when compared to the service! If it wasn't for the location I don't think this place would survive by the way the treat non locals. I will never be going back!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sant'Agnello, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

What a wonderful place to stay! La Ripetta is a really nice restaurant and a pretty hotel to spend a week end, enjoying Sorrento and Penisola Sorrentina. About the price, we can easily say it's good. We suggest to book one of the room placed in front of the sea...

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have just returned from a week in this filthy place!!!....I read the reviews beforehand but was too late to cancel....the breakfast consisted of cornflakes and warm UHT milk, croissants, and brioche rolls...no cheese or ham, nor eggs....the beds are very hard and the pillows are harder, the furniture is tatty, especially if you stay in one of the rooms at the front of the hotel...where the noise from the stret outside will kep you awake most of the night....I decided to stay at the hotel one day and lie in the sun, round the back of the restaurant where the hot tubs are.....I dangled my feet in the cold water and noticed a white scum on the bottom of the hot tub!!!!....and the water jets were corroded in filth, i immediately took my feet out, but next day i woke with a very red, inflammed ankle, itchy and felt like tiny needles were being stuck in me....i thought I'd been bitten by an insect, and went to a pharmacy for cream, I spent the rest of the holiday in extreme pain and foot bandaged....on returning home, my Doctor has now said I have cellulitis, a bacterial infection in my ankle, obviously caused by the extreme filth of the hot tub!!!...I have pics of the tub to prove how filthy it was, and would gladly upload them to this site if I could, so other customers can see the real La Ripetta Hotel!!!.....they also have a spa....but charge FIFTEEN EUROS PER HOUR for guests to use!!!!!...I suggest all websites who advertise this hotel should send a rep over to check it out for themselves!!!.....ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THIS HOTEL IS THE VIWS FROM THE ROOF TERRACE AND RESTAURANT BALCONY!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Ripetta? Share your experiences!