“GREAT VIEW OF THE SEA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Cosmomare

You added Hotel Cosmomare to your Saves list
Hotel Cosmomare
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ripa di Cassano, 43, 80063 Piano di Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Piano di Sorrento
Winnipeg, Canada
“GREAT VIEW OF THE SEA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Apart from some minor inconvenience with the wi-fi not working in the room and some confusion with how to operate the A/C we had a very pleasant stay. The 3 sisters who run the hotel are great hosts and did everything they could to make our stay wonderful. We would have appreciated a little more variety at breakfast but we didn't care so much as we were admiring the view most mornings. The man who attended to the breakfast could have been less grumpy.

We considered the hotel elevator to be a novelty.

The hotel is a 10 minute walk to the train station and a 15 minute ride to Sorrento. Good location.
Do not rely on the bus as the motto is "If we are 10 minutes late, we are not likely going to show up at all".

Room Tip: The A/C is wired to stop functioning when a window is opened so be patient and lit it do its job. A...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We spent four nights at the Cosmomare as a school party of 46 girls (Y10 to Y13) and 5 teaching staff. The hotel staff were very welcoming, despite at first being seemingly (and perhaps understandably) apprehensive about a large school party visit.
The hotel staff did speak some English, but it was helpful to have Italian speakers with our party. It was admittedly difficult to get our whole party in at first; the lift is small and the hotel is on the fifth floor. However, once all girls and cases were finally transported up we were all very pleased with our accommodation.
The impression I received of this hotel vis-a-vis school visits was very much that if the school party respected the rules of the establishment and showed that it would be considerate of the hotel's neighbours (including all those inhabiting the apartments on the four floors below!) then basically the hotel staff would really bend over backwards to please in return. We bribed the girls with all sorts of treats (gelataria related/bedtime "extensions") in order to get them up and down the stairs in a reasonable degree of silence.
The rooms were all extremely clean and of a good size. Some were genuinely lovely rooms, far better than you would expect on the average school trip, with beautiful views and lovely balconies. During our stay the staff were most accommodating of us and extremely helpful. They allowed us to use the communal breakfast/lounge area for group activities during the evening, and even brought weary staff glasses of complimentary chilled white wine once the girls had all been shepherded off to bed. This was most welcome!
Breakfasts were well organised and there was enough room for the whole party to eat together in one go in the dining area; our packed lunches were available punctually and account was taken of our students' various dietary requirements/allergies. One word of warning; there are cockerels on one side of the building, who are very keen to rouse guests at the crack of dawn! By the time we were ready to leave to return to the UK, we had planned our exit from the hotel with military precision and we managed to evacuate all students plus luggage in a very smooth and efficient fashion, using the lifts for bags and sending the girls down the stairs on foot.
I would definitely return to this hotel (travelling independently as well as with a school party). The staff were genuinely lovely and the standard of accommodation high; the views are beautiful. In some ways this hotel is not ideal for a school party; however I feel that once you have conquered the stairs and your students have shown themselves to be respectful and well behaved, this hotel offers a great experience for a school party.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Ive travelled the world and stayed in many hotels, this place is the worst EVER! Bar? What bar! Breakfast? Pathetic cereal, no milk and bread......where's the toaster, cheese, ham, eggs. Ants in the rooms, miserable staff. Nowhere to go at night in Piano Di Sorrento, air con controlled by staff downstairs, they constantly turn it off, only allowed 2mb internet (don't upload pictures) OVER PRICED- POOR EFFORT - VERY POOR!

• Stayed August 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from Piano di Sorrento after spending two weeks in this beautiful part of Italy. We had a lovely time. The hotel is run by a very nice lady and her daughters, who were very helpful at all times. The young man in the breakfast room was also very helpful and friendly, which is the nature of Italian people. The hotel is very clean. The quality of the furniture is very good. The view from the breakfast room and some of the bedrooms overlooks the marina and the sea. We definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room, which allows you to sun bathe if you wish, or sit out and have a drink or rea...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

When I arrived I had some trouble finding a parking space on the street. Then I saw the building and looked rough around the edges and I thought I was getting a very low quality hotel. I followed the signs to hotel Cosmomare and it took me inside the building which looked like a apartment complex (not what I was expecting). The elevator you have to take to the fifth floor for the hotel. The steel cage elevator barely fit me and my luggage. At this point I was thinking what did i get myself into. Arrived at the fifth floor and to my surprise it was very new looking, remodeled, and clean. Very nice views of the sea and mountains in the lounge. The service was excellent and I had a bottle of wine and fresh strawberries waiting in the room for me. I would suggest pay for their parking garage if you are driving. Eliminates the unexpected happenings with parking on the street. The staff there was very nice and friendly. They were always eager to help in anyway possible. For example, I was a hour late for breakfast and they were still kind enough to get me what i wanted. The rooms were very simple but nice, clean, and sharp looking. I had a balcony view of the mountains which was very relaxing to sit out at night and watch the town. Over all I had a great stay there and despite what it looked like from the outside, it turned out to be the best choice for my hotel I could have made. I hope to visit Sorrento again very soon and I will be staying at Cosmomare again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is the third year I have stayed here with a large group of teenagers. At first the staff were tense and obviously not used to school parties. This year though they were excellent and very warm and helpful in all they did. It is a great spot and the views are splendid. Everything works efficiently, and any small issues are quickly addressed. A super hotel for groups and individuals. The restaurant round the corner, il Chiosco, also excellent homely local cooking and excellent value.

• Stayed July 2012
conure59
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Entrance by very small lift but no problem, once in hotel the staff very nice and helpful.We were allocated a triple room with a balcony and the views from our room and breakfast / bar area were fantastic, overtowards Naples and Vesuvius and the islands. Breakfast was cereal,rolls,croissants, cake,yoghurt,french toast and preserves,coffee,tea and fruit juice. Sat overlooking the marina and extensive view, it was a pleasure to experience. The Family owners recommended 2 restaurants. At both, the staff took time to explain the menus to us and the food and service were excellent. We used the hotel garage for our hire car, (driving in Italy is not for the faint hearted).So once more thank you to a friendly family for a lovely holiday and we hope to return once more.

Room Tip: We were in a room on the top floor with a lovely seaview and sunset.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Cosmomare? Share your experiences!