“Great location. Modern hotel. Questionable staff and practices.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hermes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Malia
Hotel Hermes
You added Hotel Hermes to your Saves list
El. Venizelou St., Malia, Crete 700 07, Greece   |
Ranked #46 of 96 Hotels in Malia
Leeds
“Great location. Modern hotel. Questionable staff and practices.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Arrival
Surprisingly clean and modern reception and lobby area. Passports were given in at arrival and kept all week.

Rooms
Our rooms (6 of us, 2 rooms, ground floor) were modern and looked reasonably clean. On further inspection, the cutlery and crockery (plastic) were dirty and the cupboards had loose cereal, bits of food etc. There was a kitchenette which included a fridge (not the coldest) and a 2 ring hob. 1 room had a kettle, the other did not. Please note, only the ground floor and 1st floor are refurbished rooms. Heard the 2nd floor rooms are not great.

We had a cockroach in our room 1 night and 1 on the balcony another (not much can be done when outside I guess). The bathrooms are ok, toilet roll provided however no shower curtain or anything to stop the whole bathroom getting drenched. Good water pressure, though hot water is only available for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening.

Extras
Air con is 25euros pp/pw and the safe is 10euros pp/pw so quite expensive if in rooms of 3 like we were! The safe is hit and miss whether it works or not, and the keypad is superfluous as reception has a key to get into it anyway. We had no bedding other than a bottom sheet and pillow but eventually got a top sheet after several times of asking. Music is to be turned off by 11pm and like many other reviews, they love their fines. 20euros per person you bring back to the hotel (get with people from within the hotel!) is the start of many. Checkout of rooms is at 11am. It is 10eurors pp to have a room until 6pm instead. Note, prices are quoted as per person however all members of the party have to pay. E.g. if 2 our of 3 in a room wanted the safe, all 3 would have to pay. Does not have a luggage room.

Staff
Anna on reception (maybe management) can be very rude and very unhelpful however she can warm to you if you do everything she tells you to (eventually). Leon who works at night can be grumpy. Told us 1 night he didn’t have our room key when we had handed it to him before we went out. Went the next morning and he did have it.

Pool
Always sunbeds available as everyone is hungover. Drinks at the pool bar are expensive but food looked reasonably priced however I heard it didn’t taste all that great. Many bars nearby do cheap food. Don’t take goggles, you’ll see how dirty the pool floor is!

Location
Brilliant, 5mins walk to the strip and large spar supermarket.

Conclusion
Despite many faults, if you’re in a refurbished room, it is of a good standard, especially relative to the resort. It’s a place to get some sleep, play by all the rules and you might escape without a fine or 2 and without arguments with the staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Me and my boyfriend went to Malia last September for 1 week to let our hair down, and to have a bit of fun. Ibiza is where I usually end up but I fancied a change of scenery and a few friends had said in the past that Malia was pretty good. WELL... I'll never be listening to them again cos it was disgusting!

I could go on for hours with all the details however relevant they all may be but I'll keep it to a minimum:

HOTEL:
1)We were shown to our room which, in the brochure, was advertised as refurbished modern rooms... this is not the case atall. The ground and first floor have been refurbished but the next 2 floors are disgusting!!
2)1 lightbulb out of 9 worked - not really very helpful.
3)Toilet seat hanging off
4)List of damages charges on back of door which are extortionate and considering everything is broken when you go in... you can see how that will end up for you. TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING BROKEN AT THE VERY START SO YOU CAN PROVE IT IS NOT YOU!
5)Self catering equipment is all rusty and dirty. If you don't wanna catch something you won't wanna use it.
6)Safe doesn't work and you have to pay for it LOL
7)Shower cubicle - this is just an absolute pain. It is one of these stupidly tiny square cubicles with a curtain that pulls round it, the water fills the bathroom and out into the bedroom!
8)Bugs everywhere!!
9)In Greece you can't put toilet paper down the toilet so they provide a bin... no liner so you can imagine the state of that... you won't wanna touch it!
10)They didn't give us a new roll of toilet paper all week, there wasn't any behind reception nor even in the lobby toilet to pinch so we had to go to the store to buy one for ourselves!!
11)Stinks outside if you go on balcony.
12)It's almost impossible to get hot water out of the shower or taps... literally ice cold. Enjoy!
13)After coming back from the beach you would imagine a maid would clean up sand etc. Nope! Sand on floor and in bed all week. Minging!
14)Me and my boyfriend got lost one night so I went back to the hotel asking to be let into my room... APPARENTLY they don't have a spare key. What a load of crap that is! Of course they have a master key or a spare to just let me in! They could prove it was me as they kept our passports behind the reception.
15)Very rude guy thought my boyfriend was bringing a girl back to the hotel (me) and when we explained we had come together he accused us of lying as he hasn't seen me before! Good job as I would've flattened him by this point I was so angry!

I think that's enough for the hotel for now but believe me... it ain't good!

BEACH:
Beach is ok. It is busy and everybody is pretty much on top of eachother. I suppose that could be a good or a bad thing!! Water was nice and you can swim over to a tiny little island with a church on which nearly killed me. Tough if u get half way and you're knackered! There are beach bars which you can go to so that's ok.

QUAD BIKES/SCOOTERS:
Defo get one! You will wanna escape from this hole so it will allow you to go exploring and it's a lot of fun. You can also find some lovely beaches if you don't mind driving a bit. N it's dead cheap to fill a quad up. About a fiver?

FOOD:
This is about the one and only thing I enjoyed on this hol! Amazing restaurant... wish I could remember what it is called but it does a cheap mixed grill which is why we went in for my boyfriend. Amazing value steaks too. The owner was so so lovely. She cheered me up no end. She even bought us little chocolate puds to spoil us so that put a smile on my face. It's opposite a chinese restaurant the other end of the strip to the beach. Defo recommended!

BARS/CLUBS:
Well... they are just rubbish! The bars are all like little dirty shacks! Watered down drinks. No atmosphere just drunk people which to be fair... i can go to my local pub if i wanna bump into drunk 16 year olds. Clubs? They can't even be called clubs they are just bigger shacks than the bars.

If you have been on clubbing holidays before be very careful. I imagine if this is your first hol and you have nothing to compare it to then you might have a good time if you're with your mates. If you have been away before you will be able to see what a joke this is. I mean I didn't even realise the strip was actually 'the strip' I couldn't believe it! And try to stay away from it in the day cos it is so dirty and will actually make you feel pretty depressed!

Guys, just save your money or add a few more quid and go somewhere else where it'll be worth it, believe me!

P.S. Reps will try and sell you anything and everything at max prices. Don't boost their bonuses as they aren't worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

05/08/2011
My son has had a great holiday in Malia and even wanted to try and stay longer.
Unfortunately last night his room and several others on his floor at the Hermes Studios
were all robbed. His money and several belongings were saftely locked away, but all of his money and some personal things were all stolen.

The staff on the desk are not being very helpfull at all and will not allow them to view the CCTV footage???.
The doors to the rooms were not broken into, so it makes you wonder who has access the these rooms?

Such a shame as my son has had such a good time, but now it has been ruined and his holiday cut short because of lack of security within the Hotel.

Please, Please anybody travelling to these apartments in the near future be very aware that this is going on.!!!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Uppingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

- When arrived, hotel looked very nice from the outside and we were shown to our room very promptly after handing over passports
- The bar staff were English and really nice, prices here were fairly expensive > for example 4 euros for a bottle of Budweiser or 5 euros for a cocktail
- However, they and the reps were the only staff to be helpful and nice. The lady receptionist was stubborn and no help whatsoever, showing little care or consideration to those staying within the hotel
- Their policy was to have extortionate fines for damaging certain things within the room or actions in the hotel. For example > Blanket 30Euros, AirCon 500Euros, Small chair 300Euros, Bed 500Euros, Door 500Euros, Toilet seat 100Euros and for flushing toilet paper 100Euros! These fines maybe something common among hotels in Greece, but the hotel would jump on any chance to fine you, for example we get fined 50Euros of a total 100Euros for a plastic bottle being thrown off the balcony which we didn't even do!
- The maids cleaned the room daily, however that wasn't the case for my friends rooms and the sheets and towels weren't changed very often or at all in some cases. I'd recommend taking toilet paper as they weren't always replaced
- To say the room was disappointing, would be an understatement. The pictures in the brochure didn't resemble the room we were given. The ground and first floors had been renovated and from as fair as I'm aware are nice rooms and more value for money, however, the rooms on the 2nd floor were poor and certainly not worthy of the price paid, with old furnishings and a lack of glasses, plates etc.
- Rooms had very little room and a small balcony in comparison to those rooms on the ground and 1st floors, therefore I strongly recommend you ask about getting a room on those floors
- Good location if you want relaxation, as you are a little walk from the strip, but it only takes 5 minutes to get to the top where the bars begin
- Long walk to the beach, about 20 minutes - however the pool is very nice so no need to go to the beach really
- A small shop which sells food and drink just opposite hotel and the second bar/restaurant on the right hand side does a great breakfast for 3.90
- Nice views and surroundings to the pool side of the hotel looking towards the mountains
- Plenty of sunbeds, pool tables, large pool but very deep and nice bar made the hotel bearable, after having a poor room

Overall, enjoyed the holiday! The hotel room was a disappointment as it could have been so nice if it wasn't for the receptionist and the quality of the room. However, the nightlife and pool made the holiday brilliant and a fairly cheap one if you decide to drink in your rooms prior to going out as you can buy drinks very cheap from numerous supermarkets on the strip. Eat at the Red Lion, The Bull or Sticky Fingers if you want value for money and quality and go to Malibu Club, Zig-Zag, Apollo and Candy Club for a great night out!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

i stayed in this hotel with 7 friends..our first girls holiday. the holiday in itself was the best i've had but i would not choose to stay in this hotel again!
at first things seemed alright apart from the odd thing like towels being changed once in the 7 days we were there, but things just seemed to build up e.g.

-towels being changed once in 7 days
-sheets not being changed once which weren't even that clean to begin with
-no shower door or curtain so bathroom floor was soaked everytime we used the shower
-10 euro fine if you get caught with food or drink not bought from the pool bar
-20 euro fine if you want to take someone back to your room for the night
-50 euro fine if you take someone back to your room for the night and don't inform reception
-so many more fines for the most ridiculous things
-our friends had there room broke in to!
-our friends found a rat in their room
-maids smoked in the rooms whilst cleaning them, the smell after this was terrible for non-smokers
-some members of staff were rude
-there was no way of having a cup of tea or coffee in our room as the kettle we took from our friends room (as we didn't have one) was disgusting! it had things stuck in the bottom and floating around and the smell was rancid!

on the plus side the pool area was ok, the bar staff were nice and the reps were really nice! apart from those few points i would not choose to stop here again! for any price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Falkirk, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I went to the Hotel Hermes in July 2010 for two weeks with one of my friends. When we arrived we were greeted at the reception by a man who took our passports and a young girl showed us to our room. Our room was on the 2nd floor. Even although their website states that the hotelhas been renovated our floor was the only floor that had not been renovated. I would advise that, if you book this hotel that you request a room on the bottom or first floor as we had a look into these rooms and they are much nicer, more modern etc and they also have way bigger balconies!

The room was clean enough, however the cutlery and pot was a different story. Nothing was cleaned and still had food on it from the previous occupant. This made us not want to eat anything in the apartment! So we ended up eating out a lot, and eating a lot of crisps! We bought plastic cups so we could have a drink in the room before we went out too. It wasnt until some of our last days, when we were running low on money, that we ended up cleaning the pot so we could cook super noodles (but we did not use the cutlery, we bought plastic forks, knives, plates and cups etc).

However, even though our room wasnt what we had expected it to be, it didnt really bother us that much. It was really just a place to sleep and keep our stuff, though it would have been nicer to have a renovated room.

The maids didnt really do much, they came in every day and made the beds but only changed the sheets once a week. We were given new towels every 2 or 3 days.. however the towels werent always clean looking and we sometimes given one bath towel and one hand towel for two people! So we ended up having to use our beach towels!

The bathroom was quite rank to be honest. The shower head had been broken off of the wall so we had to hold the shower above us! Also, there was no shower curtain at all, so the bathroom got flooded everynight after showering! There was also a toilet brush in there that had faeces on it! Disgusting! And the toilet was prone to getting clogged, however the maid was able to fix it.

The hotel in general is clean - e.g. pool/reception area. The pool is big enough and always clean. The pool bar was reasonably priced, not too expensive.. but you get much better deals down on the strip of course. The only thing at was really annoying about the pool was that you cannot eat or drink any food except from that bought at the pool bar! However, I think this goes for the all hotels in malia. I heard it was something to do with tax, but I'm not sure.

There is also a shop right accross the road that you can get all the basics in; water, alcohol, toilet paper (as the maids only gave us one roll a week), crisps, super noodes. However, it is quite expensive. I would recommend walking down the strip to either the SPAR which is actually on the strip (unmissable), or we also found a Greek supermarket which was even cheaper as it sold Greek stuff. I think its called Ria or something, if you come out of the Hotel Hermes and walk toward the strip its on your right, down a side alley.

As it is an 18-30 hotel, dont expect to get much sleep unless you are drunk because people will constantly bang on your door at night, shout, sing or argue in the corridors etc. This wasnt a problem for us because we expected this.

Overall, the Hotel Hermes was a good hotel, I must admit that I have been in better hotels, but I'm sure that there are far worse in Malia. And for what we paid, I think we got a decent deal and would probably go back there.

A final note about Malia, DO NOT GIVE MONEY TO BEGGING CHILDREN ON THE STRIP! Honestly, some of them are so cute! But my friend gave them a few euros and then a lot more of them came around us and she had her camera stolen. Also DO NOT GO TO THE BEACH AT NIGHT! We never went there anyway, but we had heard that some other girls did and they got robbed off older males. Although, you will probably be told all of this anyway. Dont let this put you off Malia though, because if you just ignore the kids they go away, and the strip is always really busy so you are always safe! Just make sure girls to keep your bags zipped up so they cant dip your bag.

Malia is amazing, great nightlife and excellent weather! Loved it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2010

We paid £189 for a one week stay which is very cheap.

The hotel is just off the main strip which is a positive thing, although crossing the road to get to the main strip can be irritating as crossings exist but cars dont stop at them.

The first floor rooms are all the upgraded ones so I recommend you try and get one of those. The rooms themselves were basic but comfy. You cant flush your toliet paper and the showers dont have curtains and they are hand held but thats standard for Crete not just the hotel. The hot water is not turned on until 5pm every day. The manager Mike is really nice, the other woman is not. It costs 50 euro for aircon and a safe for the week, or 40 for the aircon. But once again thats standard for crete. Because the reception keep your passports for the stay I recommend getting a lock for your suitcase and putting any valuables in it rather than pay for the safe because you dont need to look after your passport.

Bring earplugs as it gets very noisy when people are coming home at all hours, but as its an 18-30s holiday hotel thats expected. The rep will try to sell you alot of events for 190 euro or 3 events for 95/105 euro. THIS IS A RIP OFF. They charge around 35 euro per event but if you buy your tickets at the clubs themselves or on the strip its much cheaper. The waterpark is only 26euro on the strip, the silent disco is 20euro on the strip, the foam party is 15euro on the strip [bare in mind we went at the last week of the season so it was quiet]. I highly recommend the waterpark, its a great day out but be warned it does take around an hour to get there.

The pool area is very nice and the sunbeds are all brand new. The beach is about a 20 minute walk away at the bottom of the strip, but its pleasant enough and only 2.50 for a sunbed. Mikes bar has free lie-lows to use on the sea.

I recommend the loft bar for food and drinks, 5 doubles for 5 euros. They also have free internet and computers. I also recommend sticky fingers and the Red lion for food as its very cheap, at the bottom of the strip. Heaven bar is good for drinks but slightly more expensive for food. I did not like the golden lion bar for food and the PRs are extremely pushy, so just be ready to tell people to go away. Zumo does lush smoothies which are great on a hot day.

Do not get a quad bike or moped as your travel insurance will not cover you and they are very dangerous as the locals drive like manics.

Bring toliet roll or buy it when your their as the hotel will not provide you with more after you run out. The rooms and sheets wernt the cleanest but they could be worse. I recommend bringing snacks etc with you and might even suggest if you want to predrink in your room bring alcohol from back home as its quite expensive to buy it in the supermarket. The supermarket is a Spar at the top of the strip on the left hand side.

We had lovely weather and just went for a relaxing sunny holiday at the end of the season but apparently the best time to go for clubbing etc is end of july start of august and it gets rammed.

I would recommend the hotel for location, price, size and overall appearance just be prepared it is 18-30s.

Its number 81, possibly on the road Ethniki Odos Lasithiou,
telephone number [--]

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Hermes? Share your experiences!