“Fantastic time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 96 Hotels in Malia
son matias, majorca
“Fantastic time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We went to this hotel with mixed reviews but with an open mind, when we arrived after delayed flights and delayed travel we were dreading it. We were in a garden room old Crete style I loved it, ground floor big terrace.
The grounds were tidy and hotel clean, we did have stormy weather at the start but finally after 3 days it was beautiful.
Food was a good variety of salads nice dishes on offer for food, only criticism it could have been hotter, but didn't ruin it for myself or hubby. People complained about food on reviews and I don't know why, all I can say you must be really fussy.
Staff, well every member we encountered were great, polite and friendly, Vasalis, you are wonderful, lovely mature, and great to chat with , Damien great to have a Brit to have a laugh with, great guy. Elvis great bar entertainer what can I say haha.
To all other staff who's names I cant remember, thank you, you guys work really hard.
Management had no problems, got me a taxi straight away when I needed one, polite and friendly.
Location great on the beach, and how can I forget the main attraction, Gianni's Bar next door to Hotel, Family run the best people in the world, amazing food, we loved the place and we are going back next year just wish it was longer than 2 weeks.
This is an honest review on my part, it may not be a perfect hotel, not many English, didn't bother us, great beach.
Only bad points is, paying for safe 35 Euros for 2 wks. Sunbeds should be free on beach but there not, but not enough beds round pools. And all inclusive finishing at 10 when entertainment starts at 9.30, come on you guys play fair at least make it until 11pm. But this did not ruin our holiday .

Room Tip: we loved garden view, quieter rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 17 of us & after reading reviews I was a bit worried especially when it wasn't just for myself.. I was in fact petrified the whole holiday was going to be awful but I needn't have worried at all..the hotel was lovely, the staff were lovely n friendly..valasis the barman was lovely, my little boy loved him :-)the staff are a credit to the hotel.. the food was nice although a a few things the same there was still food to eat. I would definitely go again n stay in this hotel. The only thing I would have changed would be the size if the shower, it could do with being a little bigger :-)..places to eat out if u want gringos mexican restaurant. .beautiful food n great hosts..also the george n dragon where spartacus n brad work..great guys :-) loved every minute of my holiday n would recommend to anyone

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend and family went last week just got back today and I have to say don't worry about the previous reviews. This hotel is in a spot on location on the beach and the rooms (new block) had a sea view and were a very large size for two with a sea view! The staff were fantastic they loved the English as we were polite please and thanks and tried to learn Greek ! All the Russians and Germans were quite rude but I suppose we expected it lol. The food was pretty good and plenty to keep you full even Greek food to sample. As I said the staff we lovely Damien an English Greek guy was polite and also Elvis and valasis were a credit to hotel friendly funny and made a pleasant stay. We would certainty return and thank the staff and hotel for a lovely stay. We did venture to malia 20 min walk and also over the road to bar stavros and father violets bar from hotel to watch the football Aston villa and had a lovely drink there. Thanks all for a lovely holiday !

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

I came on here before I visited this hotel and went with an open mind! All the reviews I have read, are absolute rubbish! The hotel is an absolute credit to Crete! The staff, rooms, food, bar were all absolutely fantastic! The only thing that may raise a few eye brows was the all inclusive bar closing at 10pm? A huge thank you to Elvis and Vasilis for making our stay that little more enjoyable! They work all hours god sends but always manage to keep a big smile. The location is a little out of Malia but it's only a 15-20 minute walk to the strip so it's not a big issue to be fair! The staff there love the English! The hotel is occupied by several nationalities mainly Russian. They went about their business as we did ours. Not many sun beds around the pool so some are forced to go on to the beach! Which again is no issue. If you can speak a word of two of Greek, have a try! They love it and will talk back to you in Greek.

Across the road was a small bar which was ran by a young Greek man and his father. Both absolutely lovely chaps! All that remains to say, is go with an open mind and do not take the negative reviews so seriously! It's a lovely place with lovely staff and would 100% definitely return in the future!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I went on holiday with my sister for a week in May. I must say, i don't complain about much and I am not a fussy person but the entire holiday was filled with stressful anxious memories being in the hotel. The food was bad and was the same every single day.

The staff are very rude. My sister lost her money through a Internet box on the computer, only to be told.."what are you.. Thick?" It was quite scary! The alcoholic drinks are poor, very small servings, always having to go back up. The bathroom always flooded every evening before going out, so be careful not to slip!

We did witness a barman telling a lady to [--] off at one point which was quite distressing. (She had a young boy sat next to her!).

The hotel is mainly Germans or Russians and believe me..
Stay clear. They stare and won't talk to you if you try. Me and my sister will never be returning and wish you all luck who is waiting to go!!

• Stayed May 2013
Volgograd
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

i was on this hotel for 5 days
i would like to thanks every employee who work on this hotel.....
they are doing their work very well and they always have a smile......even if they haven't paid for more than a two months.......
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel is right on the beach which is really nice. But the rooms could be better. My room was in the old building and it was really outdated, small and with no view. Unfortunately there was no way to change the room because hotel was fully booked. Other rooms in the new building or bungalows were much better so ask for it when you book this hotel!
The meal was great! I had HB and enjoyed delicious breakfasts and dinners with local greek amazing food! Those who had ALL IN were eating noodles everyday..
Every evening there was a show in beach bar which was very nice to start a night.
The center of Malia where all the clubs, pubs and bars are located is 2-3 km far, so you can walk (which is quite long an enoying) or you can go by taxi which is 5euros. Malia is a great place to have a party! It's like little Ibiza!
Rent a car to quad to explore the island!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new building, because rooms in old building are really outdated
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Phaedra Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!