“Malia Mare” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 92 hotels in Malia
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Malia Mare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I had changed this hotel from happy days apartments as i liked the look of this one, we had changed from £500 for two weeks to £460 for one so I had looked well into what i was wanting before i made the decision to change it... there was 3 of us going and was branded 'late and livley' its only good point on this is its location... we got a sign in our faces as soon as we walked through the door saying if we were not aloud to play music after 8pm... which didnt really bother us but please jet2 be able to establish the difference between the people they are suitable for... room looked nothing like the pictures...dissapointed considering this is one of the reasons i changed to this hotel the rooms looked alot better. We paid for air con and a safe for about 79euros.... our air con leaked all over one of the girls bed so we went to reception to report it...this was about our 3rd day so the owner (very helpful) came and brought us some towels and said someone would come to fix it....on the 5th day it started leaking again so we advised a woman at the reception who basically told us blunty it will be fixed tomorrow... by the next day tea time no body had came and basically we asked for our money back as we wernt prepared to pay for something that we wernt getting.. thewy shut it off and gave us 7 euros? for 4 days of no aircon? apart from that we enjoyed our stay.... nice touch with free wifi!

Room Tip: a room with air con that works
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Warszawa, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We came to Malia Mare for a family holidays. The hotel is run by Kostas who made impression of being a little bit fierce. But, when you talk with him, you will see that he is very helpful, hospitable and warm person who is very worried about atmosphere in the hotel. And, must say, he has a lot of worries, especially with young groups of Brits who come to Crete just to have drunk and party and do not respect other guests.

My kids witnessed some sort of obscenic scenes by the pool, but I must admit Kostas always was trying to manage with such sort of situations. Eg. he forced one guy to dress the t-shirt for the breakfast:) Chapaux bas!

Regarding the service: maybe breakfast were similiar every day, but I need to stress that it was always fresh and tasty. Room service was at the highest level - room was always cleaned, the towels were changed every two days.

At the end of our stay we got free drinks and present from Kostas - really nice accent.

To sum up, I really enjoyed staying in that hotel. It is shame it is located in nearest area of clubs and pubs. But if you asked me would I choose it once again coming to Malia with kids, I would decidedly said: 'yes':)

Kostat and the rest of the crew: Evcharisto polu!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bourton-on-the-Water, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After a terrible start to the holiday with our holiday company going into liquidation, our taxi canceling our transfer to East Midlands airport and our coach transfer delayed by 4 hours in Malia, one of the things we were all thankful of was that our hotel had been booked and it was all paid for and ready for us to arrive (after speaking to the receptionist on the phone prior to our arrival).

At first glances this hotel seemed perfect for our group of 11 who were on holiday to relax, have a good time and party. We paid slightly more to stay here than some of the other hotels in the resort because we heard it had a good rating, a pool bar and was fairly close to the clubs. Although the locals in Malia have funny ways of showing hospitality to visitors in their country by constantly demanding orders and screaming at you, we found the staff at the hotel reasonable at first. However if your expecting a smile and friendly conversation you are a long way from home for that.

The trouble for us started after the first night out on the strip. I came back the following morning to find 40 missed calls and 8 voicemail's on my mobile from my friends exclaiming that we were going to be thrown out of the hotel! I spoke to my friends who said that basically the travel company hadn't paid our hotel due to going into liquidation and because of this, they were just going to throw us out! Now working in the hotel industry if there was a problem with payment the first rule of thumb is to speak with the person responsible for the booking (which was me) and to sort something out before threatening others. The way that the staff had automatically threatened all of my friends with eviction without speaking to me was ludicrous.

So I went to reception and spoke to the manager about the problem. They told me what had happened and then I went on to explain about customer service and trying to help the customer - well this went down like a lead balloon. They exclaimed that if we didn't pay straight away we would be thrown out. Now as I was out with a mixed age of guys (some who were still in college) I explained there was no way we could pay for this right away and would need a couple of days at least to get money transferred. Well anyone would have thought I had asked them if I could walk around the hotel naked! The staff were so rude, so unhelpful and were adamant that it had to be paid today.

After they threatened to kick us out again, I explained to them once more time that we needed a couple of days to get all the money together. Therefore if they wanted to kick us out then that would have to be the option. They soon backed down and gave us 3 days to get all the money together. Well, I mean anyone would have thought we all had the memory of goldfish - every morning, afternoon and evening they kept nagging and nagging. I honestly don't know what they were trying to achieve with it when we said we were getting it sorted on the first day.

Although the hotel does have air conditioning in the room you have to pay for this to be activated - I honestly think this is a complete joke considering there is nothing in the room whatsoever to cool the room. Every humid climate I have visited from the Canary Islands to Florida has had air conditioning as part of the room and is always on. Just another money making scam by these hotels - we never bothered with it in the end - just slept on the balconies or elsewhere. This hotel was purely a place to keep our bags.

As I have seen mentioned on a few trip advisor reports from this hotel the noise levels in this hotel have to be kept to an all time minimum. As a hotel that claims to be for young people, I can honestly say I have seen old peoples homes with more noise and leniency. Every splash in the pool was looked at with glaring eyes and if we dared put any music on that was like saying the B word on a plane to them. One day we were on our balcony socialising with the people to the left of us when the receptionist went onto the street and told us to be quiet for talking and laughing! If I wanted to be nagged I would have stayed in the UK like most of my mates - as a hotel in a "lads" resort they need to assess their clientele to be honest with you.

Another small point was the breakfast - nothing much to shout home about as it's all continental so if you are booking a holiday here and the travel agent says it includes breakfast please don't expect more than a croissant, toast and a few jams and cereals. The only saving grace for this hotel was the cleanliness of the rooms, the pool and the food outside in the restaurant. All were of good standard and is one of the reasons I didn't mark 1/5 for every box.

All in all I had friends that stopped in other hotels and they had much less hassle than what we had in our hotel. Their staff were friendly, they were accommodating and when they had problems they weren't nearly thrown out onto the streets. In all honestly if I was going to go to Malia again I would stay away from this hotel as they just tried to make our lives a living hell.

Room Tip: If you're a group of guys / girls wanting to have a little fun in a hotel that claims to be for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

lovely hotel and i do not have any complaints about the standards of the hotel! but re think staying here if you are a young lively group it wont ruin your holiday but it will certainly put a damper on your holiday, firstly on our second evening at the hotel we had a written warning coming through our door and so did every other young group about noise we were a group of 8 scottish girls wanting to have a laugh so we decided to stay in this "young lively hotel" as it is advertised but aparently according to costas the owner (lovely man but get on his bad side not so lovely) this is not how he wants his hotel! we were in three rooms 2 triples and a double one of the the triples was like a double with 3 beds crammed in a tiny fridge and a balcony for a table a chair and one person, after the written warning the rep bibas from jet 2 seemed to sort things out, on one of our last evenings my friend was pushed down the stairs by the security guard tony (watch out for him) apparently he has now been sacked, and because of the language barriers it was very hard to explain this to the owner and the manager maria (stay on her good side otherwise she has “contacts” and will keep you in the country and not let you go home) overall we had a brilliant holiday purely because of the people we met but malia has a lot better accomadation to offer for lower prices than the malia mare hotel!

Room Tip: not a hotel for families
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed at malia mare on the 31st- 7th with 7 other girl mates, we arrived at malia mare and was very shocked. When we arrived there was the security guy called tony (Watch out for him hes evil) he gave us our keys to our room wasn't that friendly or helpful.
We got put into a room right near the front which we asked to move and was aloud to do so which is one positive. When getting ready in the night we werent aloud to play music on our Ipod speakers and at one point Tony knocked on our door opened the door and pulled the plug out which was unacceptable! We could of been naked. Also they kept complaining about the amount of noise everyone was making when they need to realize there hotel is basically on the strip? What do they expect. Also there was a massive row there with one of the northerners crying because Tony had pushed her. The breakfast there is rubbish! Cheese & Ham no point having breakfast but there's a nice local shop opposite it. Oh yeah we found red ants in our sink! I could carry on and on but all together the hotel done our job for what we needed.

Dumbarton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

the hotel is perfect for any friends holiday, three of us stayed at the hotel in june! it is perfectly placed just at the top of the strip so is a perfect destination for any young group of friends to stay for a crazy holiday. the rooms are minimalist and air con is 50euros for the week and a safe is an extra fee too which is quite expensive. the hotel offers bed and breakfast but we never made breakfast so cant comment on how good it was or anything however we did get food by the pool most days which was incredible, really fresh and cooked in front of you! the staff by the pool were lovely and very laidback and chatty. we had a small problem with ants on our balcony on the first day and the man who works by the pool and on the garden dealt with this straight away after he asked how our room was and we explained this was our only problem, he was very nice and so helpful! the food and drink by the pool wasnt too expensive either, great value for money! the pool is absolutely gorgeous! pleanty of sunloungers some in the shade and the sun to suit everyone, there is also a jacuzzi which was nice! the rooms are basic but adequate, however BRING A HAIRDRYER!also our fridge leaked but we dont know why, that might have been our fault, theres a great little store across the road with a really friendly guy who sells the cheapest drink in malia and always gives good deals...the hotel has an absolutely beautiful garden of cactus's and exotic tres and plants all around its beautiful and well maintained. it is a very clean and pretty hotel wrth staying at! we would 100% reccommend this hotel! it is peaceful and quite although located at the top of the strip we never heard a peep once we got inside :) hope this helps

Room Tip: we slept downstairs and along he corridor which is backing off from the strip so there was no noise...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stayed here with 9 girls came back last week (6th july-13th 2012), stayed for a week we arrived late on a friday night and as we got to the hotel they tried to put us in the sister property of this hotel Malia Holidays about 300 meters up the road. We were not happy with this as we had our eye on this hotel for ages but i spoke to the manager who was excellent and we all ended up in Malia Mare. Staff were so friendly and helpful, rooms were clean, maids came in everyday apart from one and cleanded the whole rooms changed the bed sheets everyday and clean towels. Pool was lovely with a swim up pool bar, the food at the pool bar was lovely and not expensive. Would only recomend this for people looking for the nightlife. Its at the top of the strip so you dont get as much of the noise. I would recomend paying the small charge for air-con as on the first night we did not get it and it was TOO HOT TO SLEEP! but we got it by the second day and was well worth the 50 euro! Only thing i would say is the breakfast is poor, has bread, cheese and ham and thats about it! It didnt bother us too much as we wasnt up for breakfast most mornings. I could not fault this hotel and would recomend anyone looking for fun and nightlife in Malia to stay here, felt safe the whole time i was here and had the best week!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Malia Mare Hotel? Share your experiences!