“Nice but not great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Diasselo Apartments

You added Diasselo Apartments to your Saves list
Diasselo Apartments
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Papa Michali Katsouli Street, Malia, Crete 70007, Greece   |
Ranked #12 of 97 Hotels in Malia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Lichfield STAFFS
“Nice but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

We booked a last minute holiday to Crete and decided after reading the reviews on Trip advisor that we would stay at the Diasselo Appt. Conveniently located between Malia and Stalis, the Diasselo is a small family-run apartment complex with a homely atmosphere. Popular with couples, these apartments enjoy a quiet location set back from the beach road, with both the beach and resort centre within easy walking distance. Overall for the price these apartments were OK. See pictures attached.

The outside pool area and bar were very pleasant and clean, but I personally thought that the rooms were a little too basic. I know that the rooms were cheap but why we had an old newspaper on the window were the window was broken is still a puzzler to me, surely glass is not that expensive but more over why would the owner feel that this was acceptable, if not for his guest than surely for his reputation.

The bathroom was most definitely in need of modernisation and the taps in the bath were dangerous, when they were on the hot tapped spouted out boiling water. My husband was the first to take a shower and he got slightly burnt, but was able to quickly jump out of the bath, had that been a child, they wouldn't have been able to react quite as quickly and the owner would definitely have had to confront some very angry parent as it really was quite dangerous.

The rooms were extremely basic, I know that on holiday people tend to eat out most of the time, but it's also quite nice to have a leisurely breakfast on the terrace. Due to the lack of utensils this wasn't possible. I wouldn't take children to these apartments purely based on the lack of entertainment, both in the rooms, no television no radio no seating area, although there was a table and two chairs in the kitchen part and in the resort itself, although I do believe that during high season the owner does a BBQ and quiz night once a week. After saying that Malia is mainly for the young who prefer to go into town.

Due to the exchange rate Crete was extremely expensive, 5 euros for a bottle of bud and around 3 euro for a bottle of local beer. The food was the same in nearly ever restaurant with the exception of a few places in particular the Camelot (turn left at the end of the street) which served delicious freshly cooked food and averaged around 27 Euros including wine.

Overall the apartments were nice but not great, in need of a little modernisation and a bit more entertainment. I must also mention that the bed linen was changed three times during our week long stay and the owner let us stay in the rooms until we were collected at 03.00am for our flight home which was very nice of him as some other people travelling back with us at other resorts were not allowed to do this, so thank you for that

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
county durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

arrived at apartments at 4 in the morning no one to greet us rep let us in and my face fell only a kettle one huge pan and cldnt cook if i wanted to as there were curtains above cooker fire hazard bathroom was soaking wet obiously a pipe leaking as floor was saturated only 2 bulbs in apartment no bulbs above our patio table so cldnt sit out at night only seen maid once and i was busy changing at the time she did not knock on door just walked in my husband and i holiday yearly and this apartment was the worst we have ever been in never again wld we go back

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ipswich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

We arrived about 10pm. it was nice and relaxed and welcomed in by the owners and settled in nicely, we even went out that night and checked the bars/clubs out as you do.
the next day it all changed, we were all told the do's and dont's and he was like a a teacher telling the assembly off! after that he spent most of his time watching us. we came in one morning at 7am from clubbing and made a noise and did we know about it! he was right in my face face threating me and my friend had to calm him down. i litterally went back into my room got changed and left the p[lace to cool down for a bit.
basically i would only recommend this place to my grandparents. definitely for no one else.
and to top things off when we were leaving, the coach turned up and he came out to shake our hands and i ignored him but then he strrated crying in front of me and the rep's! you make your own mind up on that one!
the nightlife is so good i wanted to stay out all week!
P.S. watch out for the gypsy's on the street, i got robbed by 7 of them. went straight in my pocket and pulled out whatever was in there! and the police don't do anything

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

This was my 5th stay with Panos and Marianna and their family, I cannot fault the warm welcome I receive each time I visit.

There were two other couples staying at the apartments John & Jo and Jayne & Paul who had all stayed at the apartments before, this made the aprtments feel even more relaxed and friendly due to the repeat visits from the customers who all chat and relax together around the pool and have drinks together in the evening.

If you want a relaxed holiday away from all the young ones Diasselo apartments are the place to go.

Thanks again Panos Marianna and the family for a great holiday.

Monica XX

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We received a warm and friendly welcome at Diasselo, and Panos and Mariana were incredibly helpful and friendly. The room was of a much higher standard than we expected. The pool bar has an extensive selection of crinks and food (I'd recommend the home made moussaka!) and the pool is in the sun all day. Diasselo was lovely and quiet, although only ten minutes from bars and restaurants in Malia, and five mins from the beach. We had a fantastic time here and our accommodation could not have been any better- we all loved staying at Diasselo apartments!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

me and my husband andy have been here 4 times now marianne and panos very good hosts we were welcomed from 1st day we got there a very friendly place to be panos mum and dad are lovely people hope panos dad ok now we have made some friends each time we have been there the beach is lovely the bars and clubs are brill very friendly people where ever u go i cannot fault the place we are going again next year .

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

We stayed here in May 2006, it was the best holiday weve ever had, they make you feel really welcome and they love children, everywhere we went our daughter got a free ice cream or fruit, we are goin back end of Aug this year, and cant wait, the man who owns the apartments panos is really nice, an his family are lovely, if you ever go, try the bar near the apartments called DV8 its a nice place to sit and have a few cocktails and the foods good to

• Stayed May 2006, traveled with family

Been to Diasselo Apartments? Share your experiences!