“Great till the end” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 96 Hotels in Malia
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Great till the end”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I read all reveiws as I do to all hotels we go to, this was mixed but we never take much notice because some people are hard to please....
Any way we arrived about 1.45am all was fine some one was waiting for us. (Reception is not open 24 hrs as stated.nor is the bar open late) Room was fine, staff very friendly and helpful all week. Food basic, breakfast choice of boiled eggs, cereal, ham, cheese or fruit. Every morning the same. Evening meal you have two choices salad or meat dish. Didnt mind we had somthing to eat.
The whole week was fine not to much noise at night when young people came back from clubs, pool area was great and as I said before staff couldnt do enough for you.
The only thing that spoilt this holiday was the attitude of the manager on the last day. Because we had landed in early hours of morning we were booked in hotel from the day before. We were due to be picked up by coach at 8.45pm to take us to the airport. we had to check out the room for 12 o clock, We spent the day round the pool and about 5 o clock I asked the manager where the curtersy room was so we could shower and change. I was a bit shocked when he told me their wasent one, he told us we could change in the pool toilet, this is the first hotel I have been to where they dont have a room on hand for this purpose. The only thing I was glad of was the fact as this year me and my husband had come on our own and not with the kids and grandchildren like we usually do. Just imagine geting small children washed in a pool toilet.
Then we went to get our evening meal and was told by one of the staff that if we wanted a meal we were to go and see the manager and we could have one but would be charged for it. Now I always thought on day of departure you were still entitled to your meals after all we missed meals the 1st day. So that meant we only had 7nts and 6days holiday. You can imagine how embaracing this was for all of us everyone heard because it is only a small room. Well we went round to reception the manager was waiting for us. He didnt want to know he just said no room, no meal. This realy spoilt the end of a lovely holiday because we love Crete and go every few years. We got our cases and went up the drive and sat in the bar opposite and had meal and drink.
This is one hotel we will not visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on top floor. only 3 floors but noise not so bad on top.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

When reading the other reviews of this hotel I was a bit worried about my stay here to say the least! But from day one my mind was changed and I realised most of the reviews on here to be untrue! The staff here are all very friendly, the managers are not at all 'grumpy' as they've been described and are in fact lovely and very friendly! The food is nice and there is a buffet with a lot of selection every night, the breakfast is also lovely with lots of choices! The room is clean and everything we have needed, the pools are lovely as is the whole of the outside and the beach isn't at all tiny. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012
Riga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We visited this hotel at the end of June 2011.
The hotel is clean, personal is friendly, location just perfect.
Food is very basic but we were not expecting more from a 3 star hotel anyway.
So, it is really good value for the money we paid.

The hotel is located aside from the town noise (from all those night clubs and discos). So, location is good.
The main problem is that english teens and students come to Malia for parties in thousands.
And if you are unlucky enough and your hotel have at least 4-5 rooms occupied by them then you can forget about sleep at night.

They have parties in hotel and hotel managers (it being run by 2 brothers) will do nothing about it !!!
So, the whole hotel block (it has 2 blocks) which is about 50 rooms will suffer just from 2-3 rooms occupied by English teens as their main activity starts at midnight.

The first 10 days we were lucky as there were not any English teens but then their arrived.
We got them in 3 rooms ( 1 in each floor) and I don't think I have to describe their behavior as anyone who came across them once knows what I am talking about.

I have solved the problem quite quickly (on the second night).
The behavior of those teens got close to perfect after that, but I believe that my approach will not be suitable for any of you as it requires some skills (in the area I don't want to mention).

So, if you want to have good sleep stay away from this hotel !!!
Or be ready to solve this problem yourself.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Gravesend, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

simple i woke up at 3am to find male member of staff in my room now im a 25 year old bloke not a woman thank god also had my phone nicked from room

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Simply horrible hotel. Grumpy foul mouthed manager. Dirty rooms. Awful tiny beach. Very low quality hotel food. What else should I say... Breakfast and dinner were miserable in terms of quality, quantity and choice. I would not recommend this place... not even to my worst enemy! There are certainly lots of hotels in Malia where you can pay the same and get a much better service, if this can be called "service" at all!!!!!!
Be careful with the guys at the reception (two brothers, the owners I think). They tried to trick us into spending ridiculous amounts of money for late check-out, etc. Plus, they accused us of trying to fool them by asking for something we've paid while they pretend we haven't (and making up excuses to justify their shameful actions...)
Don't let the photos trick you... the swimming pool area is really small and the beach is only ten metres wide.
ONE MORE IN CRETE, BUT....
NO MORE IN THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I stayed at Aeolos beach as a last resort as My original Holiday to Portugal got cancelled due to the Ash cloud! We arrived in Malia having been there in 2008 and searched for hotels in the local internet cafe. It is a long walk as its right on the beach. The view from the hotel was lovely, and so were the staff.

Breakfast was always the same.. the usual cheese, bread and ham. With a few cereals, juices and Jams. Not much to choose from but it will do after a night out.

The pool was always clean and our rooms cleaned ever other day. Sheets are only chnaged once a week, as are towels, so you may want to bring a spare one with you.

there's tv in the room, with limited channels and a mini fridge.

If you're a bit of a young one and you want to go to the 'noisy' beach, ( as one of the hotel staff callled it LOL) you can walk right a long the beach front heading east to where Bikini beach is and Mark's cafe. Takes about 5 -7 mins in the sand. Especialliy if you lose your flip flops!

All in all it was a good holiday! I love Malia and have never had a bad time there. Would defintately stay at the Aeolos beach in the Future!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I travelled here with my partner and another couple, upon arrival the Manager was not very welcoming. He took our passports straight away and also notified us that under no circumstances were we allowed to take our own food/drink to poolside due to some Greek Law. The first morning when we were having breakfast he came down to the bar and accused us of stealing his sheets of the bed in the room. We were trying to explain that we hadnt and even had to walk upto our room to check that they were definatly there as i had made the bed with them that morning. Once back at the bar we stated to the manager that they were in the room he was not apologetic and very sarcastic.
This put abit of a dampener on the start of the holiday and he made no effort to make sure that we enjoyed our stay. The rooms are very basic, but perfect distance away from the pubs/clubs as only 10minute walk. I would not recommend this to familys or couples looking for a romantic get way.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Aeolos Beach Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!