“Unknow treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Brasov
17 attraction reviews
“Unknow treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

As we were returning from Sainte-Baume Holy Cave we saw the basilica in the city so we decided to turn around an visit it. Smart choice. Inside there was a pipe concert, Michel Tissier was playing. The resonance was great. From outside the basilica shows a mixture of old styles as the sections were constructed in different years. Inside the are more chapels beautiful designed, still keeping old paints and religious objects. You can go close to the altar and admire the beautiful old furniture where the chorus was singing. On a side you can visit the crypt where the relics of Mary Magdalene are kept. We had no idea there are kept in France before visiting this place. There is no entrance fee to visit the basilica, but you can buy a candle and so contribute to the restoration work that is still done. You can leave you car nearby (some 100 m) in a free parking place (follow the signs, it's easy). Next to the basilica is the town hall (beautiful architecture, also in restoration). We had no time to visit more of the city because of the rain but we didn't regret the stop.

Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Inspirationally overwhelming and beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

Superb! See photos and more info on Facebook - Search Mary Magdalene The Untold Story. Travelled there last year from Paris via train to Marseilles then rented car and drove in rain to get there. The basillica and tomb are overwhelmingly beautiful. I was disappointed I didn't get to grotto due to the rain. But, she is bringing me back on a luxury liner and I will drive again from Monaco this time! I booked cruise without any idea that our stop in Monaco was only 90 miles from the tomb. Going back in 3 weeks and can't wait. I am so thrilled and excited! I know the sun will be shining this trip! MM is so very, very special. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Anahola, HI
12 attraction reviews
“An awesome basilica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

I was in St. Maximin right during the festival where they parade Mary Magdalene's skull around...that's right, they claim to have the skull of Mary Magdalene, and during July, they parade it around the town. She wears a gold mask, to protect her delicate bones from the harsh Provençal sun. Afterwards, she resides behind the Rood screen inside the Basilica. I'm told that she normally is kept downstairs in the crypt.
Whether or not you believe all the hype about relics and Mary Magdalene coming to Provence, it's awesome to experience and it's still the skull of someone who died around the 1st century CE.