“Wonderful and disappointing.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Cheverny
New Sharon, Maine
“Wonderful and disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First the positives: Our room was elegant with lovely wallpaper, curtains, chandelier, big windows overlooking the grounds. The public rooms were excellent: comfortable lounge area, beautiful breakfast room and truly superior dining room. The staff was attentive and provided us with everything we asked for. We had a truly magical evening in our room watching the sunset over the park and finishing the picnic I packed for the trip. The bed was big and very comfortable. It was was very quiet and the spring bird song was lovely evening and morning. Breakfast was very nice with lots of options. We had dinner one night and enjoyed the meal and chosen wines to go with it.

Now for the problems: We drove up to the front door to scaffolding on the patio that I was so looking forward to lounging on with drinks and food. The entrance way was cordoned off and under construction. The park and grounds were bursting into spring color but looked as though they hadn't been attended to in a long time. The pool area looked like it hadn't been used or cleaned in years. Maybe it was next on the renovation list. I chose an Orchard Room on the internet imagining that I could walk out into an orchard or patio and drink my morning coffee. No orchard was in site. My room was in the main building and elegant. Internet did not work in our room at all and barely in the lounge. I was greeted the first morning to the sound of tile being cut for the entrance way, the second morning it was the sound of scaffolding clanging onto the truck. This was rated as a four star hotel and it was very expensive especially the food( breakfast and dinner). And am I the only one who hates "one size soap/ shampoo" fits all? I would think four star hotels could provide nicer toiletries.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cachan, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed there for 2 nights. It was a wonderful experience .... The chateau is very charming . The room was comfortable, overlooking a wonderful park. The staff was so friendly and kind. An the food was delicious!!! Definitely a weekend to remember!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Mersea Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2015

The staff appeared to be doing me a favour - everything was too much trouble. Expensive, which is fine IF it was worthwhile, but it wasn't! The room was very average with stained carpets, also, more importantly it was extremely cold; the heater only worked during the evening, when I woke during the early hours because the room was freezing, the heater did not appear to work - I guess it was operated from a main control, which was switched to off during the night. The dining room was also cold and uninviting. Food was average, also expensive! I left feeling tired and drained, which is not good when this was a stop-over for a further onward eight-hour drive! Yes, I did complain, but it fell on deaf ears! Payment? Goodbye!!

Room Tip: The hotel is obviously being renovated; Lucky dip!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

Stayed two nights here as part of a bus tour. Found my room to be a good size and very comfortable. Charmingly furnished, with a modern bathroom. As I was on the second (third by American count) floor I was pleased to hear there was an elevator. But it's tucked away behind the dining and lounge areas and not all of our group were aware of it until the second evening!

Beautiful grounds, very peaceful. Wish we'd had a little more time here to actually enjoy them.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2014

We stayed at the Chateau du Breuil for three nights on our trip to the Loire and Normandy in mid-September. It was a wonderful experience! The room was spacious and clean, the bathroom setup was convenient, and the staff was very helpful. We had a room on the second floor, but fortunately, there was an elevator down the hall from our room.
The food was delicious, both for breakfast and for dinner. We decided to eat in at the chateau each night for dinner and we were not disappointed! We enjoyed the liesurely, numerous, delicious courses and attentive, but not hovering, service at dinner. Breakfasts at the chateau were delicious, also. Several mornings, there were two or three choices of fresh berries for breakfast, as well as the usual breakfast foods– quite a variety.
One morning, the concierge helped us find the best (also a very scenic) route to Chambord. All in all, this was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main Chateau.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2014

The family room was very beautiful, all the staff very kind. It is a very good address. The calm of the park is great. The breakfast is delicious and the diner also.
It was just missing perhaps a kettle and a tea pot in the room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had read the reviews and was a little concerned about staying here for 2 nights as a part of a tour. We ended up having a wonderful experience and I think the negative comments come from people who didn't understand the nature of the place.

There has been significant criticism because the owners don't like you drinking your own wine at the tables on the patio or in front of the hotel. This is because those tables are like a restaurant's table to them. They are put there for guests who are ordering drinks although it is not required to sit at them. You wouldn't bring your own bottle of alcohol to a bar and expect to drink it there and although the atmosphere is different, I don't fault the owners for requesting this of guests.

It is true that the Chateau is not near anything but that doesn't mean you have to eat there. The reception area was happy to call a cab and make a restaurant reservation for us to go into Coeur Cheverny for dinner and we had a wonderful meal at a place called Les Trois Marchand. We stayed in the main building which does not have air conditioning but does have fans and we were very comfortable (it was a cool week for August though). Other people on the tour stayed in the newer building and had great things to say about their rooms. Our kids used the pool and enjoyed that as well.

The breakfast was very nice and we ate dinner at the Chateau with the tour one night and I thought the food was fine but not outstanding (not enough choice for me) so I'd recommend going into town. The menu is displayed prominently so you can decide easily.

I would say that maybe a coat of paint on the outside of the chateau would spruce it up a bit but overall we had a really great experience there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Chateau du Breuil? Share your experiences!