“Good value--location, and clean.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Essencia
#39 Real St., Corner San Juan St., Dumaguete City, Philippines   |
Ranked #9 of 25 hotels in Dumaguete City
Minneapolis
“Good value--location, and clean.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is a very nice hotel for what you get. The rooms are a good size and have a fabulous bathroom. You can stay at places closer to the ocean, but we didn't mind walking from here.
There is a restaurant that we used for breakfast everyday (not included). The dinner menu wasn't that appealing to me, so we stuck with breakfast which was just fine. We loved this place and will definitely go back. My only complaint was the beds were uncomfortable--way too firm. These were the rooms with two single beds. Its a nice property, and I understand it is the newest hotel in Dumaguete.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Taking into consideration that the hotel is less than a year old since it opened, it has professional staff. The rooms are well-kept and cleaned automatically in a day to day basis. Hallways has a clean smell and the food catered by Ms Ginging are quite good and balanced with consideration of the diverse cultural participants of our communications planning. Availability of drinking water is in every floor and the room is well lighted to work with in the evening.

It's situated 15 minutes aways (by foot) to almost everything convenient such as the boulevard, the cathedral, bank, atm, mall, provincial capitol and of course the famous "sans rival".

They even have additional security when extremely large group is around such as "Youth Federation" for the convenience of other in-house guest. Thank you Hotel Essencia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I only stayed in this hotel for 1 night before our early flight to Cebu the following morning. The staff were very courteous and helpful. They allowed us to check-in and leave our luggages in their care which was very much appreciated especially we barely have a day to tour around. The hotel is very new, in fact, we managed to avail of their special rate. It's close to everything- Silliman Univ, banks, food chains, local restaurants, grocery stores, souvenir shops, etc. We just walked around the city and most especially lingered a bit more in the boulevard which iwas a good walking distance from the hotel. Early morning the following day, the hotel van was waiting for us to bring us to the airport. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. This can certainly accomodate big groups. They have a restaurant and some function halls for group activities like reunions, weddings, etc. Too bad we can't stay longer. We didn't have time to use their other amenities.

Room Tip: Inner rooms are smaller but more quiet than on the street side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
paranaque, philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

when we arrived in Dumaguete, we changed hotel since the room that we booked in another hotel was too small for our family of six...we called so many hotels due all were fully booked since it was the week for Palarong Pambansa. A freidn fo our told us that Essencia still had a room but it was th emost expensive room, the deluxe suite. Most expensive being Php 4,400...so we book it, and whoa, the room was so big, with a sala, huge bathroom, a jacuzzi for two, an 3D TV and computer with internet! Room looks nearly brandnew. We eneded staying six night, going beyond budget, but it was worth it. Food in the lobby was also very good. Breakfast of danggit was Php 165, but worth it. They had good chinese food, excellent fish that can be grilled, steam, fried...whatever you prefer. But I think the most popular was the patatim....which I didnt dare to try due to my health.

Downside is that we found cockroaches two days in a row! They cleaned it up...never saw one again. Wifi is also very slow and intermitent.

Overall, I highly recommend this place, for business or vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed here for 8 days. We had a room on the 6th floor with a nice view - mountains in the background, city street below. Room was big, with nice amenities - tv, ref, hairdryer, toiletries. Bathroom was clean and big. Location very central, a short walk to many restaurants, at worse, a 5min trike ride. Staff friendly and accommodating. Pillows and linens (quilts) were really really nice. They have a free van airport pickup. Minor things for improvement: no floor towel in the bathroom (tho they gave us one when we asked - similar to the handtowel. It would be better if they had separate ones. Beds were a bit hard compared to another hotel we stayed at, but not too bad. Breakfast was soso. Rooms - they said the rooms are the same but the higher floor cost more. I would stay here again, definitely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed here overnight on our way to Dapitan.

Like a new car, this hotel feels and smells fresh/uncontaminated. Staff being new themselves are also in the stage of learning the ropes of the trade, albeit were courteous and friendly.

The door uses a slot-less key card, just point in front to unlock. TV, A/C remote controls, safety vaults are all working. Ample (6) electrical outlets so you can plug all gadgets all at once. Mini bar, water heater for complimentary coffee and hair dryer are available. So were 2 pairs of slippers and gas mask – in case of fire. There’s also a cold water thermos which one can refill from the water dispensers present in every floor.

Guests’ comfort and convenience were truly considered by the owner. Thumbs up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Since I frequent Dumaguete City and it's part of my job to try out almost all the hotels in the city, I made reservations in this new hotel for me and my guests. I had no problem making reservations, but when we got there, the front desk officer assigned me to a room that was already occupied. Imagine my surprise when I saw that someone was occupying the room where I'm supposed to stay. I had to wait for several minutes before the staff was able to find a vacant room for me.

The room and bathroom were quite big and I was happy to know that they had a spa at the ground floor. But their restaurant didn't offer breakfast and there was no internet there. The internet in the room was quite fast, though.

Upon check-out, I had to wait because of the slow service of the staff. Oh well, it would take me a long time to try it there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Essencia? Share your experiences!