“Wonderfull Beach, very nice Rooms, friendly Staff and the best Restaurant on the Eastcoast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar

Save Saved
You added Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar to your Saves list
Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Paje, Tanzania   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Specialty lodging in Paje
hambourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

The best place to chillout ! One of the nicest place in Zanzibar ! And try the Pina Colada in a fresh Coconut and the grilled Tunasteak ! Familiar and friendly Staff ! Very good mangement ! Waterpressure is low but this is standard in Zanzibar ! Asante Sana for this amazing holiday ! I'll back soon !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hanseh, Manager at Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Hi Jan - it's been some time since you wrote the review, but still: thank you! It's lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay last year, and we are happy to tell you that our lodge has only improved: the location and the staff are still amazing, and the food has certainly become much better - our restaurant is now one of the most popular in Paje.
We hope to see you back here in our little paradise soon!
All the best from Ndame Beach Lodge team

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

What more can you want from a beach lodge? A beach right at your doorstep, a welcome drink as you arrive, cushions to lie on by the beach, a bowl of water by your room door to wash your feet from sand and dining under the stars. However as I was to discover, I was still receiving more than I could have asked for from Ndame Lodge, almost 3 months after arriving home in Australia! Upon leaving the lodge, I left behind my mobile phone, however, a quick email to Ndame Lodge and I was assured by Hans that it would be posted to Nairobi for me for pick up. However, now back in Australia, I was still awaiting my phone when I received an email a few days ago from Aisha telling me that the phone had been sent back to Ndame lodge as I had provided an incorrect address. When I hesitantly suggested they now send to phone back to Australia, I was pleasantly surprised when Aisha replied that not only would they send the phone back to Australia but free of charge! This just brought me back to my travels in Africa where one of my greatest experiences were with the locals, not only do they smile a lot, are welcoming and friendly but they actually give a damn! I don’t even care if my phone doesn’t arrive now as I’m just satisfied that Hans and Aisha actually cared!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hi. It's been a long time, but first question: did the phone arrive in the end???
We are glad to hear that you have such nice memories of our lodge, and it would be lovely to welcome you again - we have made quite a lot of improvements since you left, and we are sure that you would have a wonderful relaxing time in our little paradise.
All the best from the Ndame Beach Lodge team
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Ndame beach lodge is a perfect place to unwind. Padded sunloungers are provided.The beach is perfect for long walks but there is a lot of seaweed and you can't swim easily.
Our accommodation was satisfactory we only had a fan and yes there were a few power cuts but it is Africa. We didn't have a bathroom door which took a little getting used to but we managed.

Food was fantastic the first night it was a BBQ evening and you saw your dinner being prepared infront of you. Very tasty but the next night it was shocking!!! We also heard another table returning their meal. The staff were very friendly and even sang Happy Birthday to my friend which was lovely.

Security wise as 2 ladies we did not feel safe walking along the beach at night. It is pitch black . Thankfully a group of us found another place to eat so we all walked together.
one big negative was that we put our valuables in the hotel safe and on the day before we left we discovered a large amount of cash had been stolen. Management acted very quickly and we were refunded. Although we enjoyed our stay at N'dame beach lodge this spoilt our time there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I booked this place after positive reviews on tripadvisor. The reservation process was smooth. After a few emails, they agreed that I could pay them after arrival. At arrival, the office staff first led us to the wrong room, then we have to change to the room reserved. The room was small with poor ventilation. There was an air conditioner on the wall but obviously did not work. They do have fan. There was a black out for a few hours during one night and it was very warm and humid without the fan. The rest room was very small and had a malodor. No bath soap, shampoo or anything was provided. The staff in the office(except one girl) and restaurant (except one guy) all seemed unhappy. It felt that the guest owned them something. The brochure in the office stated that they provide flight reservation confirmation service. When I asked them to confirm my flight. The girls were very unhappy. She initially told me they don't have the phone number and then dialed a number and told me that no one answer the phone. In all, the service has a lot of room to improve. it was a disappointment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

Located on Paje beach, this is a beautiful spot. The hotel was well run, the rooms were basic with a fan (no A.C.) but clean. Set right on the sand with a bar/restaurant. The food was pretty good. I have found food on Zanzibar to not be anything to rave about. The beers were cold and they have a decent selection of alcohol. Beach volleyball court, books to borrow and games keep you busy. The shaded lounge chairs on the beach are the best part.

Good value for the money and a great location on Paje. Not in the middle of things, but and easy walk on the sand to late night spots.

Security has been a bit of an issue. My advise would be to bring your own padlock for the door when going out. Not a chronic problem but my friends during our last trip found some of their stuff had been gone through with teh door still locked.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the beach.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Windhoek, Namibia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

We stayed there for 4 days over New Years 2011/2012.
The lodge and beach is situated on a beautiful beach, etc. The rooms were fair and cleaned every day.
What I liked: - The beach, walking distance to diving/kite centers/other restaurants, it was quiet and tranquil, and one could chill out really nice.

What I didn't like - Power cuts not Ndame's fault obviously) - but no back-up generator so when the power's out, and you're in your room with no light, no running water and the fan's gone and its HOT and humid...the mosquitoes start eating you alive... the 'inclusive' (part of) the Breakfast was very plain and after 4 days can get a bit boring, but they have a la carte options as well. The coffee was bad. I don't like 'powder coffee' I need REAL filter coffee, so that was one point i didn't like, but that's just me.

Bottom line: If you don't mind the power cuts and the results there-of, and you're going more for a budget type thing just to hang out on the beach, its fine. If you're a bit more 'squeamish' and want something with a (guaranteed) aircon, more options on your food etc, go for something more expensive.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at Ndame for about a week and loved every second. It was perfect for long walks along the beach, snorkelling, good but not great food, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

It's quiet - so bear that in mind, if you're happy reading and relaxing in the sun this is probably the place for you.

There is a cracking Thai food restaurant down the beach (south).

The only thing that really concerned me was that when I asked a waitress if we would be safe walking on the beach after dark she said "maybe not" because of the local kids playing out there. If I was with a few other chaps I may have been happy walking down there but as it was just me and my girlfriend and because the waitress had suggested against it we pretty much stayed in the bars next to Ndame at night. This wasn't an issue for us but thought it worth mentioning. Hopefully Hans will reply and tell you it is definitely safe...

I would go again though.

Room Tip: There were chalets behind ours which was on the beach. Try and stay on the beach, it's lovely se...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ndame Beach Lodge Zanzibar? Share your experiences!