“The spirit of old Kilima Kidogo is comming back!” 4 of 5 stars

Number ONE guest house
Ranked #2 of 10 Paje B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bratislava, Slovakia
“The spirit of old Kilima Kidogo is comming back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We loved the old Kilima Kidogo, but we can´t be sentimental anymore! The newone is built very generously and you get enough place for your vacation...Dina the chief was the same woman we have known in 2010,OMG the time is runing so fast!You are heartily welcome everytime. The only thing we are not satisfied is the time waiting for the praparation of your meal order! Dispite of this the food was delicious, only you have to order with halffull stomach:-)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

I enjoyed every moment of my time spent at Kilima Kidogo. I had been looking for a place to stay without a reservation the other places I looked at were cold and unwelcoming, however when I walked into Kilima Kidogo I received the warmest welcome by the entire staff. They made my stay there wonderful! The rooms were spacious and clean. The shower head was perfect for tall people (me). They had a number of rooms to entertain for when it was raining or I had had too much sun. The food was delicious and they are willing to make things on special request (as long as they have the ingredients). The chapati and breakfast pancakes were the best I have had in Tanzania! The owner Dina was wonderful and I enjoyed the time she spent conversing with me and all of the other guests. She really cares about her guests and making their stay top notch!

Room Tip: From what I could tell they were all good! The rooms at the front have a balcony and receive the br...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2015

Pictures can only show you so much of what to expect, the rest is happenstance and guess work. Well, rest assured you have a slice of heaven here, and rest we did. Dina, the owner, takes personal responsibility for making sure you have an outstanding time. She will do everything she can to make your stay hassle free and fun filled - and she went to every length with us to make sure we had 5 days of bliss. We actually extended our stay because of how relaxing and easy it is. It's clean, very safe, beautiful, calming with food probably too good for the place. All for a great price - I could not recommend it more highly. We'll be back.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2015 via mobile

We did not stay at this hotel, but ate a few lunches and dinners here. The food was very nice and tasty. The service was good! It is wonderful to just walk along the beach and step in to the restaurant for a meal or a drink. The restaurant is situated at the beach. The heavy wind might be too much, but thats the same for all restaurants and hotels along this coast.

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2015

5-star ratings aren't something I give out easily, but for this wonderful Zanzibar spot, it's a no-brainer. Kilima Kidogo is a place where the facilities and food have obviously been crafted with care by a truly wonderful owner, and it's perfect for a relaxing beach vacation on the white sand.

The hotel is beautifully designed, the main foyer opens up to a nice pool. The restaurant is nicely laid-out, gorgeous views to the ocean, soft sand at your feet. In Paje, the tides recede a long ways, so the pool is a great option for when the water's out too far to swim.

The owner, Dina, makes the hotel a cut above. Like host at a classic & classy establishment, she takes true care in her facilities and her guests' experience. She engaged with every patron I saw, and took time to help with any travel, food or accommodation questions people had. This level of hospitality is rare and special.

The food and drinks are excellent. The host's special (coconut-crusted fish) was one of the best meals I had during 5 weeks in Africa.

The rooms are clean, with big beautiful beds and nice bathrooms. Good hot water. Prices were reasonable for nice facilities; it's at a good price point for a place with true resort atmosphere.

The location in Paje is relatively good, a little South of town, but a nice beach walk or quick cab ride to other hotels or bars. Paje itself is a bit isolated, and there's not much to do beyond relaxing (apparently some of the bars in the middle of Paje are busy at night, but they were all quiet when I was around, though facilities looked beautiful). Kite surfing seemed popular, but nobody looked to be enjoying themselves, very serious faces for a vacation. I preferred relaxing on the beach, swimming, and eating seafood for a couple of days, which this spot is perfect for. If you want to go to Paje and experience Zanzibari relaxation, Kilima Kidogo is ideal.

Room Tip: I had an Ocean View room, but I think all are probably relatively similar as the best views are from...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2015

First of all, your travelling depends on your mood, so this place is good Guest House if You don't except european hotel apartments. We have really enjoed this place (but we have some marks which will tell you later). Guys, you have to know one thing: this is Africa! Here u can never find unsalty water in bathroom. Everywhere in Zanzibar's middle price hotels it is salty;) so, get ready for it. Second: prices for hotels on Paje are really higher than in other coasts of Zanzibar! Really, if you don't kite, we advise to choose north or south coasts for your holidays;) coz paje is quire for kiters, they r evetywhere;) that's why the location of kilimo is great, it is 2 km far from paje village, so it is silent and great. It is stays just infront of the ocean!
We really like: manager Dina is great, pull billiard table is there (new), hot water exists always! Just do not forget to switch the heater on! Nice big bed, separate shower in u room (but it is divided with the wall, without a door), own reastaurant where u can find beer at lowest price (4000 tzs instead of 5000 tzs like everywhere), good breakfast, clean territory and nice swimming pool. Housekeeping is everyday, really save place! It is great view to the ocean, 30 sec and u can swim there;) Dina is nice and will help you to solve all your problems (we couldn't sleep first night coz the fan is really noisy), next day Dina in 5 min gave us standing fan which was quite and strong!
We did not like (honestly):
In booking.com written that the room is with air conditionig BUT THERE IS ONLY FAN! I hope, Dina will correct the info in booking.com. The price for food in their restaurant: it is tasty but 30% higher price than everywhere in the village ( but!!! Village is 2 km for a walk), near no other good restaurants to eat;). To be honest, all was great there except high prices for food and accomodation (we stayed at 4* hotel with better facilities for 120$ per night at south coast and here guest house is 110$ per night), for europe it is high price, but on Paje all prices are higher than eveywhere, just keep it in mind. Also we got used to have small refrigerator, in kilima there is no. Water is 4000 tzh per 1,5 l in kilimo. Real price is 1500 tzh. That't all our remarks. If not price (seems high) Place is really good!

Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
KilimaKidogo, Owner at Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 10, 2015
Thank you two my two Russian friends for this review. It was great having you in our guest house. I would also just like to mention about our food price. It is big portions, and our food is high standard and fresh. If guests want to pay less, we will give smaller portions. We as management team are here to help, gide and advise our guests to make the most of their Africa holiday for a memorable holiday! Our Location is the best in Zanzibar with a 32 km stretch of white sand beach. Kilima Kidogo guest house is all about the simplicity of this friendly island. We have tried to create a nice home away from home.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2015 via mobile

The place is nice enough. However, when I showed up, there was no hot water and I had to take a shower in the owners room. Then I got moved to a smaller room which had problems with draining. Upon checkout, the owner gave me $20 off, for my troubles, which isn't even a full meal. When I told her I expected at least two meals off, for being inconvenienced twice, she got extremely upset and kicked me off her property. She didn't even call me a taxi. I had to walk down the street to find one...I'm traveling alone. I understand you can have stress, but this was beyond unprofessional. Very unimpressed by her reaction.

• Stayed January 2015
KilimaKidogo, Owner at Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 8, 2015
Insidents like this is not suppose to happen to travellers or to any hotelier. I like my quests to be happy and I would move mountains to give them a good service and make them feel at home and comfortable. In this case it was a lack of education, a lack of reading up about Africa, specially Zanzibar and Kilimanjaro. For sure you will not get a hot bath or shower on Kilimanjaro, and then to pick our lodge that is one of the cheapest low rate hotels in Zanzibar in this market, and then start to complain about hot water while it is 30 degrees and demand for shaving kits in the rooms. But I still tried to be helpful, I phoned my supplier on my cost to get you a rasor from the villiage on my petrol cost and the rasor also on my cost. I did not hear you say thank you! You were happy and accepted the change of rooms. You said yourself the next morning the water is now warm. You actually did not experience any inconvenience at all. I notice a lot of frustration from you about your experience on Kilimanjaro. Maalin, please do not under estimate our readers, they can calculate and they can read. You spend 3 nights at Kilima Kidogo. Your food and beverage account was $120 usd in total. I thought I am fair and reasonable to give you $20 discount. Apparantly that was not enough discount for you and YOU start to make a scene to say you do not accept it. In my life of business I have never fight about money, and I said to you I can see you have not money, You dont have to pay the account and you can go. I do not see in your review that you tell the readers that you did not pay at all. And I do not see a thank you from you either. And now,...do you really think after I saw you can not pay your way, and how ungreatful you are, that I must take another loss of income to phone for a taxi on my cost and then to learn that you can not pay that taxi driver either ? Zanzibar is a laid back nostalgic island and all is about simplicity. It is rich in history and surrounded with friendly people that wants you to share their simple life style, and that is what I have created for guests to come and enjoy. My comment book in Kilima Kidogo is the proof of my wonderful satisfied guests, and the readers can also see for themself the comments on trip Advisor. For sure ONE can not be right and 142 reviews are wrong! You are still young and this is your second trip. My advise to you is: be thankful, be greatful, accept offerings, budget wisely and travel with a smile. We are here to make friends, to create a atmosphere of happiness and a home away from home.

Been to Kilima Kidogo Guesthouse? Share your experiences!