“Quiet place to relax on the beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paje Beach Bungalows

Paje Beach Bungalows
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Paje
Paje Beach Bungalows
Save Saved
You added Paje Beach Bungalows to your Saves list
Gizenga Street | Behind Oldfort, Paje, Tanzania   |
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Paje
Alexandria, Virginia
“Quiet place to relax on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I was pretty happy at Paje Beach Bungalows. My room -- my bungalow, that is -- was very clean, airy, and comfortable. I appreciated the good mosquito net, as there were a lot of mosquitoes at night. The bathroom was in great repair, and everything worked fine.

I took all my meals there as well. The food was not fantastic, but it was quite good, particularly the breakfasts and the lunchtime curries. Dinner was occasionally very good, but more often just okay. The service was fine. Staff were pleasant and helpful. They served excellent coffee, brewed rather than instant, which pleased me a lot. The restaurant/lounge area was always kept scrupulously clean.

The best part was my beachside hammock, and the adjoining table, chairs, and lounges to sit in and watch the tide ebb and flow. If you're looking to spend a few quiet days just sitting at the seaside, reading and watching the waves, this is a great place to do it. If I ever return to Zanzibar's east coast, I'm sure I will stay at Paje Beach Bungalows again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
  • Greek first
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We had one of the Bungalow rooms facing the beach. It was beautiful. The room however was a little shabby. The bathroom was not the cleanest and the shower was unreliable. The bed was comfy and it was pretty quiet so sleeping was not a problem.
If you are someone who doesn't need creature comforts and can live with just the basics, this place is ideal for you. However I know plently of people who would have turned their nose up at it all. It has so much potential but they seem content with spending their days playing pool.
The staff are so friendly and the breakfasts are fantastic. If you do order dinner (which you have to do about three or more hours in advance) it's great, really basic tasty stuff (we stuck to fish and calamari). They only serve beer and soft drinks. The fact that they don't readily serve food is quite nice as there's no perssure to eat there all the time, instead you can explore the other restaurants Paje has to offer.
Aziz, the manager is great too, can organize anything for you.
After a short stay elsewhere they we happy to give us a garden room (a little nicer although without the view) for our last few nights.
I really like this place and if we are going to go back to Paje I think this would be the place to stay.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff and the fact it was right on the beach
  • Disliked — The unreliable shower
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2008

We just turned up in Paje and managed to get a room here.

It was a basic room (bed, a mossie net and ceiling fan) as well as its own bathroom but did the job and faced beautiful Paje beach (which is pretty great so long as you don't mind a few people trying to flog you things).

Friendly staff with a nice eating area to have a beer (sometimes cold if the power had been on) at sun set. Breakfast was included in the rated (we paid $60 a night for a double) and was basic but tasty.

Be careful with possessions. We had some money stolen from our room. Only discovered this after we had returned to Stonetown and found the some of the money put aside for the ferry had been taken. A disappointing end to a nice stay,

• Liked — The 30 second walk to the beautiful beach
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Paje Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!