“Fantastic Christmas for the family.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Echo Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bwejuu
Echo Beach Hotel
Stonetown, Bwejuu 3109 , Tanzania   |
Offers & Announcements
Summer Celebration
Ranked #6 of 12 hotels in Bwejuu
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Fantastic Christmas for the family.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We live in Dar es Salaam and went to Zanzibar for Christmas. After researching MANY hotels we chose Echo Beach. From the first enquiry Zoe (the manager) was incredibly helpful and answered any questions I had.
We were travelling with my father in law and his family and our teenage son and 20 month old toddler. Room 1 (and 1A) is ideal if you are with a baby as it is only steps away from the bar/restaurant and pool areas so we could have dinner while our toddler slept and could easily keep checking on him. They were also very accomodating about filling bottles for him and keeping them in the fridge.
The rooms are very nice with working AC and the bathrooms are excellent, with plenty of water (hot if you want). They do not turn off the electricity at any time, unlike many resorts.
The food was lovely but there was a buffet on the 26th which was mostly fish which my husband doesn't eat (note: the sides- chips, potatoes etc were not enough- one serving between 3 people and we did have to ask for more).
The pool is fantastic and deep at one end and there are plently of loungers at the pool and on the beach. The sea was a hot as a bath but the tides meant that you could only swim at certain times.
I would certainly recommend this hotel- especially to families but I imagine that some of the other rooms would be more private.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nearest the bar area so ideal if you have children to keep an eye on, but not the most pri...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My partner and I had about 17 days in Unguja and Pemba (jointly called Zanzibar) and I think Echo Beach (stayed 3 nights) had to be our favourite beach resort. It was very quiet (November) but I think at any time, this resort would retain its very personal, intimate atmosphere. The individual bungalows were really lovely - clean, great bed, huge bathroom and walk-in shower with loads of hot water. Above all, the food was fantastic! Breakfasts were the best anywhere in Tanzania. It was very luxurious at a very good price. The tide goes out a long way here so swimming in the ocean is only possible twice a day but they also have a lovely pool so that you can enjoy a dip at other times.

I chose this place because it sounded good on TA but also because there were lots of other places that sounded good but didn't have pools and we were worried about the tides. It was a fantastic choice.

Thanks so much Sue, Zoe, Alan and all the staff at Echo Beach.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed great as they're single bungalows facing the water.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was a 4 day trip to Echo Beach, linked to a safari trip to Tanzania. We were both very happy with the excellent Echo Beach Hotel with an amazing location and wonderful laid back atmosphere. As the owners were away in UK, Zoe was our charming host who looked after us amazingly well. We feel that she really made the effort to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. For a young lady she has a great future in the hospitality business.

The whole Echo Beach experience was as we expected - good room, great beach, amazing diving and wonderful food where the chef spoke to us each day discussing our options and choices for lunch and the evening meal. Yes, this was low season, so we could expect some extra effort from the staff but it was clear that they really cared about our stay and tried to make it as special as possible.

A word about the dogs - yes the owners do have dogs but they are very friendly and well behaved and in no way detract from a wonderful experience. in my view, much better to have a couple of nice dogs than screaming kids!!

Overall top marks - highly recommended. Many thanks to Echo Beach for making my birthday so memorable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great rooms with seaview. Me and my boyfriend googled Great Food Zanzibar and got recommended to stay at Echo Beach, and we did not get disappointed. Adding to the delicious food, we got to stay in a nice cottage with a wonderful little porch where you could lie on the daybed and listen to the sea. The hotel lived up to its Echo name in a good way, it was simply up to the guests to choose how environmental they wanted to be and I really appreciated the chance for me to make good decisions. One thing I missed was a fruit buffé at breakfast but rather that then to expect lots of food being thrown away.

The hotel felt very personal, the beach was nice and quiet and the staff was very helpful and service minded. I would especially recommend this place to couples and groups who would like a quiet and peaceful (romantic) stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburg, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great rooms, food beyond reproach, stunning views. Huge showers with lots of hot water. Just loved the place and the staff was warm and welcoming. Had an amazing massage....just can't say enough about this place! Thanks Sue!

• Stayed October 2012
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Echo Beach for 3 nights after Kilimanjaro Climb and Safari Tour.
Perfect choice!
Even thought I arrived late after dinner, the office manager Zawadi asked the kitchen stuff to wait for me and prepare a dinner whenever I'm ready. She and her co-worker Prosper took my luggage to my Ocean View Bungalow and explained everything about the bungalow and the resort. The room was clean, with good air condition, nice linen and soft towels.The four post beds were comfortable with firm mattrace. Beds had mosquito nets, but during my stay there were no mosquito.
My dinner was delicious. I met the chief Shadow, such a caring man. On my last day i had to pack and did not come for a dinner. He was concerned that I might be hungry on my way home.
My favorite drink although I'm not a drinker, was Mohio prepared by Prosper. All bartenders were pleasant and made great drinks. The waitresses were little slow and not always understood what it was to them but it didn't bother me that much.
I met the owners of this boutique resort; Sue and Andrew and their cute dogs.
They were always interested how my day was and if everything was to my liking.

I booked this resort with a meal plan (breakfast and dinner) which I would recommend. Good choices on the menu, delicious food, coffee, juices, and fruit cups for breakfast.

My bungalow, #6 was very close to the beach, massage hut and the pool. It was situated in the best part of the resort and very private.
This resort is situated on a long stretch of white sand beach, however, when I was there, there was a lot of sea weed.
For those who enjoy water activities, you can go for a snorkeling tip or scuba diving. There is a dive shop on the property. I payed $35,00 for nearly 2 hours of snorkeling off a rustic wooden boat :-0)
I enjoyed the excursion and appreciate the extra time I was allowed to stay. My guide dove down to show me and let me feel a red starfish, beautiful shells an pointed unique coral. s
The next day I went scuba diving . It was awesome dive! There was just me and another person from another resort, I prefer to be in small group What i have seen on this one dive, I have never seen anywhere else! I have aprox 85 dives behind me, and dove in Hawaii, Tahiti, Carribean Sea (many countries). The soft coral around Bwejuu is spectacular! The variety and abundance of it blew me away!!!
Thank you Leonard for organizing my dive, this experience will stay with me for a very long time.

For those who enjoy loud music and dancing, you can take a taxi to town and spend your energy dancing all night. Sue and Andrew or a stuff member can arranged a drop off and a pick up for you.
This resort was perfect to rest and recover after roughing out on the mountain and safari.
Gentle winds, soft white sand, warm water, delicious food, hot but not scorching sun.....
Ah...all I need before getting back home to busy life and cold weather.

Thank you Sue, Andrew, Zawadi, Prosper, Shadow, Maria, Suzanna and all stuff for making the end of my vacation complete and memorable one. You will stay in my thoughts and hard like a tattoo, for a long long time.

Jola B.
Toronto

Room Tip: If I was going to come back to this resort, I would pick bungalow #6. It is a ground floor room. It...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Echo Beach... the massage, the hostess, the pool boy, the owner, the snorkeling... what can I say? My favorite part? It would have to be the shower! I know it's a funny thing, but after other places with NO water or water pressure or no hot water at my stay on the mainland, it is the simple things that you miss and by that point I just WANTED A SHOWER. My next favorite part? It would have to be the dogs. If you ask really nice and you are lucky, Sue will bring out the clowns - a Bull Terrier and 2 Bassett Hounds who just want to LOVE LOVE LOVE you. I missed my doggy, so I took advantage of this doggie smooching opportunity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Echo Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!