“Sue and her staff are incredible!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Echo Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bwejuu
Echo Beach Hotel
Save Saved
You added Echo Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Stonetown, Bwejuu 3109 , Tanzania   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Bwejuu
Pittsburg, California
“Sue and her staff are incredible!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great rooms, food beyond reproach, stunning views. Huge showers with lots of hot water. Just loved the place and the staff was warm and welcoming. Had an amazing massage....just can't say enough about this place! Thanks Sue!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Echo Beach for 3 nights after Kilimanjaro Climb and Safari Tour.
Perfect choice!
Even thought I arrived late after dinner, the office manager Zawadi asked the kitchen stuff to wait for me and prepare a dinner whenever I'm ready. She and her co-worker Prosper took my luggage to my Ocean View Bungalow and explained everything about the bungalow and the resort. The room was clean, with good air condition, nice linen and soft towels.The four post beds were comfortable with firm mattrace. Beds had mosquito nets, but during my stay there were no mosquito.
My dinner was delicious. I met the chief Shadow, such a caring man. On my last day i had to pack and did not come for a dinner. He was concerned that I might be hungry on my way home.
My favorite drink although I'm not a drinker, was Mohio prepared by Prosper. All bartenders were pleasant and made great drinks. The waitresses were little slow and not always understood what it was to them but it didn't bother me that much.
I met the owners of this boutique resort; Sue and Andrew and their cute dogs.
They were always interested how my day was and if everything was to my liking.

I booked this resort with a meal plan (breakfast and dinner) which I would recommend. Good choices on the menu, delicious food, coffee, juices, and fruit cups for breakfast.

My bungalow, #6 was very close to the beach, massage hut and the pool. It was situated in the best part of the resort and very private.
This resort is situated on a long stretch of white sand beach, however, when I was there, there was a lot of sea weed.
For those who enjoy water activities, you can go for a snorkeling tip or scuba diving. There is a dive shop on the property. I payed $35,00 for nearly 2 hours of snorkeling off a rustic wooden boat :-0)
I enjoyed the excursion and appreciate the extra time I was allowed to stay. My guide dove down to show me and let me feel a red starfish, beautiful shells an pointed unique coral. s
The next day I went scuba diving . It was awesome dive! There was just me and another person from another resort, I prefer to be in small group What i have seen on this one dive, I have never seen anywhere else! I have aprox 85 dives behind me, and dove in Hawaii, Tahiti, Carribean Sea (many countries). The soft coral around Bwejuu is spectacular! The variety and abundance of it blew me away!!!
Thank you Leonard for organizing my dive, this experience will stay with me for a very long time.

For those who enjoy loud music and dancing, you can take a taxi to town and spend your energy dancing all night. Sue and Andrew or a stuff member can arranged a drop off and a pick up for you.
This resort was perfect to rest and recover after roughing out on the mountain and safari.
Gentle winds, soft white sand, warm water, delicious food, hot but not scorching sun.....
Ah...all I need before getting back home to busy life and cold weather.

Thank you Sue, Andrew, Zawadi, Prosper, Shadow, Maria, Suzanna and all stuff for making the end of my vacation complete and memorable one. You will stay in my thoughts and hard like a tattoo, for a long long time.

Jola B.
Toronto

Room Tip: If I was going to come back to this resort, I would pick bungalow #6. It is a ground floor room. It...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Echo Beach... the massage, the hostess, the pool boy, the owner, the snorkeling... what can I say? My favorite part? It would have to be the shower! I know it's a funny thing, but after other places with NO water or water pressure or no hot water at my stay on the mainland, it is the simple things that you miss and by that point I just WANTED A SHOWER. My next favorite part? It would have to be the dogs. If you ask really nice and you are lucky, Sue will bring out the clowns - a Bull Terrier and 2 Bassett Hounds who just want to LOVE LOVE LOVE you. I missed my doggy, so I took advantage of this doggie smooching opportunity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We were booked to stay 3 nights at Echo Beach. After a two week safari. We had a very ordinary night at our hotel in Stonetown and were not looking forward to going there, we just wanted to go home. Well what a surprise it was. We were greated by Zoe with drinks and wonderful hospitality, we felt incredibly relaxed and glad to be there. For the next three days nothing changed, they hospitality that Sue, Andrew and Zoe showed us was nothing short of fantastic. What lovely genuine people they are. The food was great and the facilities excellent. Loved it and would recommend to anyone. Marj and Shane, Australia

Room Tip: We had a stand alone bungalow which overlooked the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and loved it. We were warmly welcomed after the 50 minute drive from the airport, and a late lunch was rustled up for us. Sue, and her adorable puppies, was a friendly host, and made us feel at home. Other staff we found slightly stand-offish.

Our rooms were on top of each other - twin beds downstairs for the kids, and a lovely double upstairs for us. The rooms were spacious and cool, with nice terraces and well-appointed shower rooms. Mosquito nets and bottled water were provided. All rooms are set in the tropical gardens around the large pool, and all (I think) have glimpses of the sea through the palms. None are more than 2-3 minutes walk along sandy paths to the open-sided restaurant/bar/lounge, where hearty dinners and breakfasts, and lighter lunches, were served. We happened to be there for a Friday night buffet and dance entertainment, which was fine, but enjoyed the a la carte meal the night before more.

The hotel is right on the beach, which almost disappears at high tide, but gets very wide and puddly at low tide, when you can walk out a long way towards the reef. Tall palms lean at rakish angles over the beach, it's just like a postcard. There was more to do (snorkelling, diving, dolphin watching, trips to Stone Town) but we didn't do any of it, we just lolled on the loungers on the beach or by the pool and chilled. Bliss.

The children really enjoyed the pool, and the free wifi, plus they made friends with the children from another family, this place seems to work for couple and families alike. We'd love to go back some day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Yes I know it's a year since we stayed at Echo Beach but we've had many occasions to reflect on a wonderful stay. We travelled to Echo Beach following five days in Nungwi, could it get any better? The answer was an emphatic yes! The welcome from Prisca was so warm, the fruit juice probably the best ever and the Indian Ocean awesome in the background. Then there was our bungalow, even a bed on the patio! Divine! Perhaps Echo is not for everyone, it is a little remote and it can get a little breezy on the east coast but if you want tranquility, amazing hosts, stunning beach, food to die for and the most amazing sunrise then Echo is a must.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent 6 nights at Echo Beach after a 4 night safari in Tanzania. The hotel was being very ably managed by Zoe who had recently come out from the UK as the owners (A british couple) were away. The hotel is set right on a beautiful white sand beach on the Indian Ocean, 10 yards from the pool and the bar/restaurant area.

The beach was virtually empty the whole time. the hotel has its own PADI diving hut, and in addition watersports facilities are available at Breezes Hotel 300 yards walk along the beach, where you can hire hobie cat sailboats, windsurfers, bicycles, kite surfers etc.

The hotel also has good facilities to organise various trips - we did the Stone Town trip combined with a visit to the Giant tortoise colony on Prison Island (whole day); Swimming with wild dolphins in the Indian Ocean at Kizimkazi beach (5 hours), champagne at sunset (Michamwi beach - beautiful), and our (18 and 21 yr old) daughters did the reef snorkelling trip. All trips were excellent and well worth doing. The journey to Stone Town takes about 50 minutes but the roads are good and the taxis are comfortable. Costs were not unreasonable.

We changed some dollars into tanzanian Shillings at the airport on entry to Zanzibar, - the main use for these was for tips for taxi drivers etc. The final hotel bill can be paid in T.Shillings, US Dollars or by credit card or any combination. Tips incidentally - (after all this is Africa!) - we tended to give 10,000 shillings (about £4 or US$ 6) to a driver etc, but 20,000 if the person had been with us half a day or more. To be honest, if you dont change dollars to tanzanian shillings its not a problem, but dollars are much more useful than pounds sterling in Zanzibar and tanzania generally.

The staff at the hotel were uniformly excellent and if we were going on a trip which required an early start (eg the dolphin trip left at 06.00,) then a member of staff would see you off an ensure you had enough water etc.

Food at the hotel was excellent - we were on half board and managed well with a good breakfast and then very little was needed till dinner. Excellent food was available if wanted at lunch, and bar drinks were available all day. Bottled water was also available for free the whole time. You should not drink the tap water.

We felt since we had gone a long way to get there we should try and see as much of the country as we could but frankly the hotel would have been fine for blobbing by the pool or on the beach

Guest rooms were truly excellent - small thatched 2-room cottages around the pool - 2 people per room - as we were a family of 4 we had a cottage to ourselves. There was a large open verandah with each room, and inside the rooms were spacious, with a double bed (some had a double and a single), and a large shower room with good supplies of hot water. The rooms were completely cleaned every day, mosquito nets around the beds were readied for you in the evenings as well. I dont remember any of us in the whole time we were there seeing (or hearing!) mosquitoes in the rooms. We did get occasionally bitten but usually while we were on the beach and probably our fault for not putting repellent on in the early evenings.

I believe the hotel has a maximum of 24 guests - we were there in school holidays and there were one or two other families, but the majority of guests were couples, and if you have children who like the company of other children this hotel may be a bit too "boutique" for you!
Though anyone can come into the hotel from the beach, the land access is guarded and gated, and the land side of the hotel is fenced. The local Zanzibari people were all extremely pleasant and friendly and at no time did we or our daughters feel threatened during this holiday while at the hotel or on the beach. If you are going to Stone Town we found a guide very helpful and probably sensible to have!!

The beach was spectacular - green ocean, white sand, blue sky and palm trees , and very few people around. the tide goes out a long way to the reef and this results in interesting pools and sealife to explore - word of warning - take a pair of sandals you can wear in the water or the sea urchins will get you!

We cannot recommend this hotel too highly - and would love to return.

Room Tip: There is a choice of rooms - some are pool/beach facing, and some are garden facing - we were in the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Echo Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!