We stayed at the Palms for the last weeek on our Honeymoon. We could not have been looked after better. Judging by some previous reviews they clearly have changed the manager as we were warmly greeted by managers Udd from Switzerland (hope correct sp.) and Siriak. They were both charming, friendly, helpful and efficient throughout.
The rest of the staff were equally lovely, and could not do enough. They were always super cheerful. We were also pleased to be able to meet the owners one evening, who now have several places to take care of, but took the time to organise a cocktail party while we were there.
We had a few evenings of entertainment provided, some of it great. Plus they also provided a few other surprise treats along the way too, which I will leave you to discover.
the beach was really stunning and we made full use of the watersports centre next door. The sea however is very tidal, so on our visit the tide was way out till about 430, so swimming in the sea was impossible. It did provide a good walk out to the reef though across the rock pools.
The villas were spotlessly clean and designed in a local style with carved wooden mirrors etc. I believe most of it was locally sourced as indeed are most of the staff. They were also extremely spacious, and comfortable.
And the Thai massage lady gives a fabulous massage incidentally!
We had two gripes while there. The mosquitos were really bad as we were post rainy season (not always so bad) and it was a constant battle. Some mozzy coils placed around the communal areas would have been helpful at this time. Though the management did provide us with one for our room, so as I say, were always happy to help, and probably if I had really complained would have been done in the common parts too.
The other gripe, was the food. On the plus side it was plentiful. Almost too much so with 5 courses at lunch too (though can always ask for less obviously). And also they really made a huge effort in terms of presentation, offering diverse and varied choices each day, and were clearly trying very hard. But sadly the actual cooking wasnt brilliant, and especially considering the prices and the global competition at this price point. I guess the worst error was overcooking, especially the fish. King prawns and lobster cooked till they were hard to get off the shells and sea bass till it had the texture of pork. We didnt actually complain as it was nearly every meal, so would have been a tiresome week if we did, and with 5 courses we really didnt starve. But it was the one weak flank in an otherwise perfect holiday, and why I didnt go for 5 stars. And occasionaly a course would shine through. As I say, its more when looking at the price point and the quality you would expect. Maybe if they made things a bit more simpler, and not try so hard, they would have more success here.
Overall this was a fabulous stay, and I dont think we have ever been treated so well, right through from the owners to the waiting staff.
And 2 of the couples we met there were on their 4-5th visit which speaks volumes. If they sort the kitchen out, this place would be a knock out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the peaceful south eastern coast of the island, lying on an untouched award-winning beach, "The Palms" is the ultimate getaway retreat providing a stunning recluse for the discerning traveler. It is a sanctuary for those in search of tranquility ... a place to stimulate the senses and to experience the very best of the magical island of Zanzibar. The six private villas are beautifully designed creating an atmosphere of relaxed, understated elegance. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your The Palms reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms Hotel Bwejuu
- Palms Hotel Bwejuu
- Palms Resort All Inclusive Bwejuu
- The Palms Zanzibar Island/Bwejuu