“The Perfect Beach Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bwejuu Beach, Bwejuu, Tanzania   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bwejuu
Lisbon, Portugal
“The Perfect Beach Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

In short, Breezes has speacialised as a honeymoon hotel. It's the small details that make this place unforgettable.
Check in was quick and efficient. Once you arrive they lead you to the lobby, ask for your vouchers and take care of everything. You just have to wait in the lounge and drink the welcoming cocktail.
The room (we stayed at a balcony suite) was very large and had a separate dressing closet (needless to say, my wife loved the idea). The bed was king size and very confortable. Every day, around 7-8 pm (after you left for dinner), the keeping ladies go to the room and spray it with mosquito repellent and prepare the mosquito net. We were not bitten at all and there were never no mosquitos in the room at night.
Bathroom was fine and very clean (they clean it twice or three times a day). No TV in the room (football is suspended during honeymoon).
If you go on honeymoon (as we did) you will find several vouchers offered by the Hotel for almost every service available (e.g. 30 min massage, yoga lesson, sundowners in the room, night under the stars where they prepare a bed in the balcony, free lunch if you are on half board basis, kite surf lesson, etc.)
Food at the Buffet restaurant was different every night (they organise dinners by themes) and vey good. Sometimes it was not buffet dinner and you were served at the table and had to choose between 4 different courses and starters. You can also go to the 2 restaurants a la carte in the Hotel (one serves seafood).
Drinks are paid separately (the wine list could be better).
Another good thing is that you are not supposed to pay anything in cash (even tips). Everything goes to your room bill.
Swimming pool was OK (not very big, but who cares when you have a paradise beach a couple of meters ahead!?). Sunbeds are very good (with mattress) and you can always find one available.
The beach is absolutely magnificent. We live in Portugal, where the beaches are amazing and have travelled a few times to the Caribbean Islands (Cuba and Dominican Republic) and Brazil - this beach tops any of the former. Here the sand is so white it looks like flour. The reef barrier ahead ensures that the water is always calm and transparent.
You can spend your days at the beach, going snorkling, windsurfing, diving, kite surfing, reef walking, riding bycicles in the sand, taking excursions to Stone Town and nearby islands, going to the Hotel's Spa, Fitness Centre, whatever. Plenty of things to do.
Lunch can be taken at the pool, at the beach, restaurant, wherever you want. You just have to call the staff and they will bring anything you want (by the way, both in Kenya and Tanzania, people are really, really friendly, EVEN if you don't tip them or give small tips).
No bad critics to this Hotel at all. Barazas, located wright next to Breezes is far more expensive and not worth the overcharge (this is why Breezes was the Hotel with most guests, although it is never crowded).
If you are planing on going to zanzibar, make sure you stay at Breezes!
We will never forget our honeymoon and how lucky we were to elect Breezes as our destination in Zanzibar.
A huge thank you to the management and staff of Breezes Hotel

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

We stayed at Breezes, Zanzibar for 8 nights after our Kenyan safari in August 2010 and I can assure you that the pictures on its website are no exaggeration. It is absolutely beautiful; the beach is stunning – talcum powder-soft, white sand; the pool was never crowded and there were plenty of lounge chairs (at the pool if not in front of the beach); the food was of the highest standard and one could even get a very acceptable white wine by the half carafe!

We were in deluxe rooms located on the ground floor of the villas. On the 2nd floor of these villas are the suites. Both are very attractively furnished; the main difference is that the suites have a large dressing room, a much bigger bathroom (bathrooms in the rooms are small and rather basic) and a huge terrace with plenty of outdoor furniture. However, the most compelling reason for booking a suite is that the downstairs rooms (and we had 3 of these) smelled a little fusty and damp, which was not the case in the suite (which we were allowed to use when we had to check out of our rooms) . We thought this might be the result of the air conditioning not having been on for some time, but although we used the aircon during our stay, the mustiness never went away.

The staff were very nice and always helpful; they are a little tight with towels in the rooms but a little tip to the maid soon remedied that. There were probably more honeymooning couples than families at the resort, so it is quiet. Although there was music or some sort of entertainment at night, it was all over by 10 and the bar was deserted soon after. Not a place to come to if you want to party!

Definitely make sure to go out on the snorkeling safari run by the hotel; they take you to a little reef not far out and it was really worthwhile. Also rent reef shoes and walk out across the reef (looking out for sea urchins) at low tide. The spa is gorgeous and I had an excellent Thai massage; I am told that the manicure and pedicure are not of as high a standard. I had read something that implied there was a games room; there isn’t – but there is a huge selection of games behind reception. There is a little gym but the range of equipment is small. Wifi is available for that facebook fix but costs something extortionate.

Indeed, all the extra activities provided by the hotel are expensive; Discover Scuba, for example, (40 minute lesson in the pool followed by a single 40-minute introductory dive) costs US$170. There are other dive shops on the island which charge less than this; however once you are in situ at Breezes, you will find that you cannot easily travel to another part of the island to get to them. There are no taxis; the only way to get from one place to another is with a hotel-based tour operator. Their function is to offer organized excursions, not to provide transportation from A to B. Thus, my husband spent quite a lot of time negotiating with the tour operator for transport into Stonetown on one occasion and to the Jozani forest on another. Perhaps it is possible to use the little public buses (though you’re unlikely to be doing this if you’re staying at Breezes) but this is real Africa and the buses we saw were incredibly crowded (if very cute). This is an issue because most of the day trips that you might be interested in doing- to sandbars for barbecues; to see dolphins; snorkelling at Chumbe Island; trips to Tortoise island etc - all go from the west side of the island. And to do any of these from Breezes will not only take a considerable amount of time (2.5 - 3 hours round-trip across the island -try getting your kids out of the pool to do that!) but the transportation alone will cost you in the vicinity of US$100). Had I understood this before I went, I would have opted for a couple of nights somewhere nearer to Stonetown before going to Breezes - this would have allowed us to experience a lot more of what the island has to offer.

In summary then, if I went back to Zanzibar, I would definitely go back to Breezes but I would also stay somewhere else on the West side of the island too. If you have no interest in moving outside your hotel but want to relax while gazing at the Indian ocean then you couldn’t go anywhere better.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had our wedding at the beach at Breezes, and we really enjoyed our stay. From we got there to we left again the service was excellent. The resort is beautiful and the rooms are very romantic and stylish. The resort is bulid in a very beachy swahili style with open buildings with thatched roofs. The rooms are located in a way, so that you don't feel crowded, but more private. There are 74 rooms at the resort, but it feels like a lot fewer. Dinner is served in a big restaurant, every night with a new theme which keeps it interesting. We really liked it. Both the beach and pool area are very nice. The tides changes every six hours, so you can probably only swim in the ocean half the day. But at low tide you can walk the reef, which is really nice.There are practically no people on the beach trying to sell you stuff.

We got married at the beach at Breezes and had the most romantic wedding day. On top of it the resort made our stay even more speciel by putting champagne, flowers etc. in our room. Also we got an upgrade to a room with sea view - really nice! We felt in good hands during our wedding and got the best service from all of the staff members.

It's a very romantic resort, and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Dont get me wrong - we had a great time here - this place is a very lovely 4 star hotel. It is not five and not three - simple as that! The food was good, the service was good, the decor / rooms were good and everything was good. Just not excellent... I have stayed at a few other resorts which are comparable and overall this offers reasonable value and does the trick if you want somewhere relaxing and not too sophisticated.

There are a few families around but the kids were all impecably behaved. Lots of honeymooners (including us) which was nice - though the hotel has 80-odd rooms I think, so its not the most intimate places. On the other hand, its not so big you feel you are in a Hilton.

The dinner menu was mixed in terms of quality - sometimes a very limited menu which was a bit hit or miss depending on your individual tastes. Other times we had great buffets. The lunch menu was limited - which, after a week can be a bit much. And there is no where else you can go by foot really. So you need to drive (which we didnt do as we wanted to relax).

Dive shop was very expensive but friendly service - would recommend.

Service was a bit cheesy with everyone saying hello to you 50 times a day. There was dinner time entertainment - which we missed almost every day as it started at dinner time and ended by 9pm!

They also missed a trick with service. They would not include water or any drinks in your meal plan so every dinner we had to pay for water (you cant drink tap water so its a bit of a con). At 4/5pm, they served tea which you had to pay for. Of course you had to pay for lunch too . I would have rather I just paid an extra £5 a day and have free water and coffee included (or more to have lunch included). It takes the tackiness away of having to pay for something so basic. Lunch came to c. £20 to £30 for 2 people every day.

You also never knew what to do about service. It wasnt clear at all. I heard the staff didnt get tips if you left them on the bill. And do you tip for just your drinks or guess what dinner would have cost? They should have made it easier for you....

Overall - enjoyable and I would recommend - though dont expect the best place EVER (but do expect somewhere genuinely lovely).

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

I´ve had the pleasure of visiting/being a guest at Breezes BeachClub&Spa, a few times since 1999.. mostly with friends but, this last time/my 4th visit/ I did on my own. And, had again, some fantastic days! Through the years this place just have created a very special part in my heart. with the warm hospitality, the tastefull design, the quality and service, the smiling staff, the food, the beach... And the very special athomsphere as a "meeting place/an oasis" for travellers and people from all over the world. coming here to relax, for a holiday, for enjoying life. and we all find "a home" for exploreing this exotic spicy island of Zanzibar. .. Its not the place for party all night, but for relax and to fill up your body and soul with new inspiration of life. <susanne Hushagen, Göteborg, Sweden

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We arrived in Breezes after our transfer from the northern Serengeti and immediately hit a problem. There was a long delay and eventually the assistant manager appeared and told us there was a problem with our rooms. He said that another family with the "same name" had arrived earlier and had been given our rooms by mistake! As a result it meant that our teenage daughters were in a completely different part of the resort (at the back of the property) whilst we were at the front. Now I can accept that hotels make mistakes with bookings and that rooms are shuffled around depending on circumstances, but this is the first time I've heard this excuse. Surprisingly we didn't meet the family with the same name during our entire stay here!

The manager said that this was only for one night and that they would put us into a pair of rooms (the villa), which were attached with a sitting room, the next day. This rather dampened our spirit but we were assured that these rooms were more suitable and they also offered us a complimentary lunch. The next day we were asked to leave our bags packed and after spending some time on the beach were contacted just after lunch to move them. I went to see the rooms and whilst I thought they were OK they felt very hot with a bit of a musty/damp smell. I assumed that this was because the air conditioning had not been switched on, it was also disconcerting that someone else's bags were still in the room.

I went back to the room later in the afternoon at about 3pm with my wife as she wanted to unpack and the air conditioning was still not working and the room smelt even worse. My wife and I were rather upset by this and I went to speak with the assistant manager. We sat around whilst the air conditioning was fixed in one room, however it was incredibly noisy in the second room and the unpleasant smell was still present.

I asked them to move us to some different rooms which provoked a lot of head scratching. I gave them an hour to come up with a solution. Eventually they said they had asked another family to move rooms as they were leaving in the morning and gave us two rooms next to each other. There was then another delay of an hour whilst they organised this and cleaned the rooms (they wanted two hours which would have meant we didn't get into our rooms until gone 7pm when it was dark).

The whole experience was upsetting and made us very unsettled and stressed for the the first couple of days. I'd like to say that we are not the type of people that would normally make a fuss, and would accept most minor issues without complaining. I think it was the way that the initial problem was dealt with combined with the additional issues and the lack of additional care after this which disappointed me.

Once we got past this initial issues and we were able to settle down the hotel was fine. We got our free lunch and a bottle of wine one evening, plus the girls were given a massage voucher. It's just a shame that the first couple of days were handled in this manner and that I had to threaten to leave the property before a solution was found. Expert Africa were great in helping us resolve this as they applied pressure to the hotel on our behalf as well.

Other gripes: The welcome drinks reception was a bit of a joke and basically an excuse to sell you additional services. I queried if the water was suitable for brushing your teeth and was told that it wasn't AND that they didn't provide bottled water! I was unhappy about this but perhaps my comments made them reconsider as we were given 2 large bottles of water each day after that. There was a computer for the girls to access their Facebook, but the system of charging was very random, sometimes they were charged but other times they were not. Surely in this day and age this could be free?

The diving centre is very good (but expensive), be warned that they don't take credit cards, only cash. I had emailed them in advance and made an online payment before we arrived for our PADI dives.

The location is excellent, we were lucky with high tides and didn't suffer from problems with sea urchins on the reef walks. We found that the sunbeds had all gone when we returned from a diving trip at 10am, however there were plenty at the side of the pool. Lunch menu is great, drinks were good and the meals were reasonably varied during the week. The bill for lunch and drinks at the end of the week was quite acceptable despite our poor maths skills in converting the local currency into £'s or $'s!

All in all the experience would be classed as neutral by us. The poor start coloured what was intended to be a relaxing break.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at Breezes for a week in mid November 2009 after a week on safari in Tanzania. We had a deluxe room which looked out on to the beach and were on half board. The hotel was lovely and quiet, so we rarely had any bother getting sun loungers on the beach or by the pool. The hotel was at least as good as the Serena chain and better than the Sopa chain hotels we stayed in on the mainland.

The food was always good, plenty of choice and I would consider myself to be a bit fussy when it comes to food. There were three bars, as well as an a la carte restaurant and the opportunity to have private dining on the beach.

The staff were very friendly. When I managed to lock our safe and couldn't get back into it someone came quickly to sort the problem out for us, which was entirely of my own making! We asked for extra pillows and they were provided. The room was always clean, and the grounds of the hotel were well kept.

The decor in the hotel is amazing, the style is very much that of Zanzibar, whoever designed the hotel did a great job. All in all we loved Breezes, yes it isn't cheap, and it is a fair way from Stone Town, (you can easily do a half day or day trip there) but as we wanted to relax and laze about on the beach it was perfect for us.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar? Share your experiences!