My family, wife and 12 year old daughter, stayed at Breezes for 7 nights in August and each had a slightly different take. What we all liked:
The room was fantastic. We were on the second floor of the building closest to the ocean and had an amazing view of the beach and ocean. My daughter liked her small day bed and the king bed was very comfortable. There was a very large deck with several sets of lounge chairs. The room was clean and comfortable.
The beach has beautiful soft white sand with quite a bit of seating but most chairs were gone by late morning. They serve basic food and drinks on the beach which is nice if you just want to relax all day. The pool area is also nice with a good number of chairs but again they were usually gone by early afternoon.
The management is very friendly and accommodating. Our travel plans were affected by the Nairobi airport fire and we ended up having to stay 2 extra days. Management made the process much better than it might have been. While most of the staff were friendly we didn't have the same outstanding service we'd had while on safari in Kenya.
The food was anywhere from good to great but not amazing. On the plus side there was almost always a good variety to choose from.
My wife would definitely return as she likes relaxing and laying on the beach above all else. Breezes is the perfect location for that.
My daughter also had a good time but was getting bored by the end of the stay (4 nights would have been perfect for her.)
I would probably not return for the following reason. I tend to be more active and really enjoy water activities. While the beach is gorgeous with powder soft sand your water activities are at the mercy of the tide. When the tide is out it is WAY out. You can walk for several hundred yards out to the reef edge and never have the water higher than your shin. This makes for an interesting reef walk but makes it impossible to snorkel, swim, kayak, wind surf or do any other in water activity. Since the water is either coming or going for half the time it was not an ideal spot for me.
The resort does offer an off site snorkel trip that costs extra that we did. Unfortunately it was one of the worst snorkel experiences I've had. The water was clear and there was plenty to see but the group was far too large, 20 people, and were told to all stay together as we swam at top speed 50 yards from the boat and then back again. The whole time you're swimming past things that would have been interesting to look at if given the time.
I would highly recommend the City and Spice Tour offered through the resort. The city portion was interesting but the spice tour was a very pleasant surprise. You walk through a working plantation and get to taste and smell many fruits and spices. There's some entertainment of sorts as they made a crown, tie and rings out of leaves for the three of us and provide a tree climbing demonstration.
Depending on what you're after in a vacation Breezes may be perfect for you but wasn't ideal for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zanzibar's most romantic hotel, featuring the Frangipani Spa, highest attention to detail, and personalized service second to none. This family owned and managed resort has set high standards for Zanzibar, and continues to lead the others in the right direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, HostelWorld and Odigeo so you can book your Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Beach Club And Spa, Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar Hotel Bwejuu
- Breezes Beach Hotel Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Resort Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club Zanzibar
- Breezes Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar Bwejuu