“3 different opinions in one review” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Honeymooners’ Offer
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Bwejuu
Woodinville, Washington
“3 different opinions in one review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family, wife and 12 year old daughter, stayed at Breezes for 7 nights in August and each had a slightly different take. What we all liked:
The room was fantastic. We were on the second floor of the building closest to the ocean and had an amazing view of the beach and ocean. My daughter liked her small day bed and the king bed was very comfortable. There was a very large deck with several sets of lounge chairs. The room was clean and comfortable.

The beach has beautiful soft white sand with quite a bit of seating but most chairs were gone by late morning. They serve basic food and drinks on the beach which is nice if you just want to relax all day. The pool area is also nice with a good number of chairs but again they were usually gone by early afternoon.

The management is very friendly and accommodating. Our travel plans were affected by the Nairobi airport fire and we ended up having to stay 2 extra days. Management made the process much better than it might have been. While most of the staff were friendly we didn't have the same outstanding service we'd had while on safari in Kenya.

The food was anywhere from good to great but not amazing. On the plus side there was almost always a good variety to choose from.

My wife would definitely return as she likes relaxing and laying on the beach above all else. Breezes is the perfect location for that.

My daughter also had a good time but was getting bored by the end of the stay (4 nights would have been perfect for her.)

I would probably not return for the following reason. I tend to be more active and really enjoy water activities. While the beach is gorgeous with powder soft sand your water activities are at the mercy of the tide. When the tide is out it is WAY out. You can walk for several hundred yards out to the reef edge and never have the water higher than your shin. This makes for an interesting reef walk but makes it impossible to snorkel, swim, kayak, wind surf or do any other in water activity. Since the water is either coming or going for half the time it was not an ideal spot for me.

The resort does offer an off site snorkel trip that costs extra that we did. Unfortunately it was one of the worst snorkel experiences I've had. The water was clear and there was plenty to see but the group was far too large, 20 people, and were told to all stay together as we swam at top speed 50 yards from the boat and then back again. The whole time you're swimming past things that would have been interesting to look at if given the time.

I would highly recommend the City and Spice Tour offered through the resort. The city portion was interesting but the spice tour was a very pleasant surprise. You walk through a working plantation and get to taste and smell many fruits and spices. There's some entertainment of sorts as they made a crown, tie and rings out of leaves for the three of us and provide a tree climbing demonstration.

Depending on what you're after in a vacation Breezes may be perfect for you but wasn't ideal for me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from safari then stayed at Breezes to relax. The hotel itself is beautiful with excellent rooms all well spaced out. The restaurant was first class with a wide selection of veggi food which was great for us. The staff were all so friendly and helpful. I can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were not on the beach but that was fine - all rooms seem good although I expect the delux rooms h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed at Breezes for 5 nights after a safari holiday and really loved it. The whole holiday was my 50th birthday present and somehow the hotel knew that. We were upgraded to a suite on the first floor of one of the blocks near the ocean, which was spotless and the view was amazing. The room was absolutely fabulous with large bathroom, really good shower, dressing room and safe, outside terrace area with sofa and chairs and sun loungers. The bed was really comfortable and was turned down for us each evening. There was a complimentary bottle of bubbles in the fridge, and we also had a sundowner and appetisers delivered to the room as a surprise one evening. The breakfast was great with loads of choice. The evening meals in the restaurant were good too, alternating between a buffet and a sit down meal served at your table (choice of two main courses). We did also treat ourselves to a meal at Tides, the restaurant for 2 people, which was fantastic but quite pricy. You choose your menu options earlier in the day and then are treated like royalty for the evening, it really was a very special experience. I also had a birthday cake presented to me at the end of the meal with all the kitchen staff singing happy birthday, which was a lovely touch. The pool area is lovely and the pool quite big. The beaches are white sand and the ocean very warm. The tide goes out quite a long way so jelly shoes are a good idea to protect your feet, you can hire them from the watersports centre. We also used the dive centre, my husband did two dives in the lagoon while I snorkelled. The visibility was good and there were quite a few fish, but I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the Red Sea. While eating lunch one day in the bar by the beach, we saw hump backed whales breaching just outside the reef which was a great sight.
We really loved this hotel but I think 5 nights were enough for us, perfect end to a great holiday.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed there following a two week safari on the main land. The resort was the perfect place to wind down after the safari. We had splashed out and booked beach front rooms (which I would highly recommend) - the rooms are really nice and a good size; the food was good (but mostly buffet style) & the resort facilities were really nice. It isn't a 'wow super luxury' resort, it's a laid back beach resort - which is my personal preference. The only 'down side' is that 'breezes' was a bit of an understatement of the wind experienced at the beach. By mid afternoon every afternoon the wind was blowing more like a gale - however there is good protection by the pool so it wasn't a huge inconvenience. I would definitely go back again if the opportunity arose

Room Tip: Try to get a room as close the beach as possible
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
wilts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Several reviewers have said that this is not a 5* resort, but I don't thinks it claims to be that. We spent 10 nights on safari in really comfortable camps and lodges so we weren't looking for anything more special from the accommodation here. What we got was a beautifully laid out and relaxing smallish resort with extremely friendly and cheerful staff and a wonderful view of the sea. We have stayed in more upmarket resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico but this was just what we needed after spending 10 bumpy days in a safari van! The rooms were spacious, clean, cool and comfortable. It was wonderful to have tea and coffee facilities in our room - something you rarely get in hotels in mainland Europe. We could sit by the pool or overlooking the beach, walk along the beach, go snorkelling, have a snack lunch and a beer on our sunbeds or just take our time unwinding with a book on our terrace. Nobody minded if we just sat in the beach bar without ordering a drink. Food was good but not goumet, but they cater for a lot of different people and it was perfectly acceptable. Everything was of good quality and nicely presented. There is a mixture of waiter service and buffet, and there is definitely more choice on the buffet evenings. There is a charge for WiFi, which was not something we had experienced on safari. Also the diving and snorkelling packages are very expensive compared with somewhere like Egypt. My rating is based on our own needs and expectations and it was just right for us. If you are looking for total luxury, individual service or a lively late night resort then this may not be for you. However for us it was a perfect ending to a great trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed here for the second week of our honeymoon, having just completed 5 days on safari. Absolutely ideal place to stay. Great beach, great food, lovely staff. And because we were on honeymoon the team laid on a few surprises for us which was absolutely smashing.
Thanks!

Room Tip: Try and get one of the rooms with views over the beach to make use of the verandas.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at Breezes for 7 nights as part of a honeymoon package that they do which means that we had 2 nights free and we had a couple of little freebies thrown in, we were also upgraded to a Deluxe Room close to the Ocean and the pool. The freebies were essentially a 30 min massage each in the Spa, a free lunch, a Henna Tatto and A dive in the pool (which they were trying to persuade people to do every day anyway!). The latter 2 we didn't actually use.

I would say on our arrival that we were possibly a little disappointed by the room as it seemed smaller and not as nice as many of the places we had stayed previously, both in Stone Town and on Safari and our view was of the back of another room from the ground floor, not exactly how we envisaged spending 7 nights relaxing on honeymoon. Whether it is just me who has been to a lot of hotels with large pools I'm not sure, but the pool just seemed a wee bit small and boring and the whole place lacked a certain specialness about it.

It was also full of Honeymoon Couples, hence they had obviously made a target for that market to win some business.

Some good points? The evening meals in the restaurant were excellent, especially the set meals, I don't think I have eaten so much for a long time, the entertainment could be hit and miss sometimes (i.e. the same band came on another night under a different name dressed differently missing their main singer). The tennis courts were great and we had some days of really enjoyable tennis matches.There was also a pool table, however we never discovered this until the last day. It is also situated on a stunning beach, however don't expect a sunset I'm afraid! We did enjoy quite a few cocktails, especially the Frozen Mojito and coming from London where £7.50 is cheap for a cocktail these days, I think these worked out about half the price.

The breakfast was good but lunch was average, unfortunately there was nowhere else to eat, there was a sense of being locked inside a gate once you went in and you stayed until you left or went on a trip. We were quoted $34 for a sunset cruise in Stone Town by the tour company who dropped us off, when we told them we were at Breezes, this went up to $110 per person, so if you want to do anything in Stone Town I recommend you do it when you are there if possible.

I should also mention the internet which was 15,000Sch for a day and 7,500 after 4pm, considering the price we paid to stay here and the fact we could only access this in the foyer and surrounding area, I thought it was a ridiculous charge. Additionally, one thing that should be noted, ALL bills you sign for in this hotel are in Tanzanian Schillings, when you come to pay at the end of the week if you only have dollars this will be converted into dollars at the hotel rate which surprise surprise is substantially less than what you could have converted your schillings for at the airport, 1530 to the dollar instead of 1620 at the airport. Everywhere in Stone Town uses Schillings as well so I would convert them at the airport if you plan on staying here, we lost about £20 by having the hotel do the conversion.

Oh and don't do the Yoga, it was awful, the guy made us ummmmm! I nearly burst out laughing.

Room Tip: The best possible - Above the deluxe ones
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar? Share your experiences!