We are a family with a young son and we stayed here for 4 nights in early June. We found the staff to be very friendly and the management were highly accommodating. I had requested an ocean view room in my original booking, and when I pointed this out to the manager, he immediately moved us. The new room was definitely a plus, being closer to all the amenities and seemed to receive more light than the original. The food was amazing. The swimming pool and beach when we were there (low season) were never crowded. The pool is large and lovely, and most of it is shallow enough to swim in with young children.
If you're thinking of staying here though, there are some pointers which you should consider, especially if you like us have a young child (these are not complaints - just preferences):
1. The beach, whilst great, is subject to the tide. During the day the tide is out (it is 1.7km to where the waves break on the reef) and it is not possible to swim in the sea. Even when the tide is in, there is a lot of (sharp) coral underfoot and actually the "sea" is better for reef walking than for swimming in (get reef shoes from the hotel). Also, there is a lot of seaweed around, both in the sea and on the beach.
2. Although we were full board, drinks and all other extras are not included. This was expected, but note that the hotel will ask you to settle the bill at the end of your stay and works on a tab-based system. This is good because service is quick and hassle-free when you want anything, but it also makes it more difficult to monitor your outgoings.
3. The food is truly amazing (even for a vegetarian like me) and there is nightly entertainment. It is however a set menu/buffet every night; a la carte is more expensive and at a different restaurant. The setting over dinner is very relaxed and posh, which is great if you're a couple but my 2 year old found it really difficult to sit still for a 4 course dinner every night. There is entertainment, but this doesn't start till about 9pm, by which time he wanted to go to sleep. This shouldn't be a problem for families with older children, but those with younger children might want to bring a tablet pc to keep their little ones busy.
4. This brings me to wi-fi. This is pricey and limited to public areas only. We actually relished the thought of being disconnected from all our emails etc for a while, but those who need an online connection (or if you need to stream videos to your tablet pc to keep your little one entertained) might struggle.
In summary this is a lovely hotel, where everyone goes out of their way to help you, but it is probably better suited to a honeymooning couple or a family with older children. There is a babysitting service for a small price, but it depends whether you (or your child) would feel comfortable with that. Also there is a kids' room which is open in the high season (only) but this again would be better suited to older children than young ones (pool table, video games, etc).
Purely for families with young children like us - it is difficult to find an infant-friendly Zanzibari beach resort, but other options we considered were the Sea Cliff, Gemma del'Est and the Melia.
For everyone else - Breezes would be difficult to beat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zanzibar's most romantic hotel, featuring the Frangipani Spa, highest attention to detail, and personalized service second to none. This family owned and managed resort has set high standards for Zanzibar, and continues to lead the others in the right direction. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Beach Club And Spa, Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar Hotel Bwejuu
- Breezes Beach Hotel Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Resort Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club Zanzibar
- Breezes Zanzibar
- Breezes Beach Club & Spa, Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Bwejuu