“Great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Upepo Boutique Beach Bungalows

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwejuu
Upepo Boutique Beach Bungalows
Bwejuu Village beach, Bwejuu, Tanzania   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Bwejuu B&B and Inns
Knokke, Belgium
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We had an amazing experience at Upepo. The bungalow overlooked the beach & sea which was stunning. The room had a decent bed with mosquito net, fan, and bathroom. I enjoyed the sea breeze a lot and never felt like i needed AC. During the night we just opened the windows (which have mosquito protection) and slept very comfortable. I think there are just 2 bungalows, which I really enjoyed, it was always so quiet and peaceful there. They clean your bungalow whenever you give them the key, we did it every 2 days.

The hosts were amazing, Selle took really good care of us making sure we were ok and joined us to the lagoon to make sure we were all safe. I had a problem with the ATM in the airport and did not have enough to pay for the room, there was no stress at all and in the middle of the week Rasta & Patrick went to stonetown with us so I could withdraw money from the Barclays ATM (only atm that worked with my card). Rasta also arranged a boat to Prison island from us and both bus-rides, which were not expensive at all.
My diving goggles broke the first day, and one of their guys repaired it in a way it was like brand new, I can't believe how he did that! what a service!

On the 2nd day we rented a scooter and drove to Stonetown which was an amazing experience. On the way back we got lost in the middle of nowhere and the scooter didn't start anymore while it was already dark. We were able to stop a taxi and load it in, and he brought us back to Upepo. Eventually the problem was a switch for the reserve gas which I didn't know that it was there and had to be put on. They gave us a 10$ discount which was almost the taxi ride back and I really appreciated that as I was a little bit fed up with it.

The food was indeed very good, I loved the Calamari, their chips, fish etc. The only food I wasn't too impressed with was the lobster which wasn't that tasty and meaty for me. Also cocktails are not really their thing:) You can see the sea from the restaurant and they also have a little patio to eat and have breakfast right on the beach away from the others, very cool.
I can also recommend to go an evening to eat at Bellevue, which is just a 10 minute beachwalk. It's very cosy there and had very good cocktails.

The beach was amazing. During high tide there is no one! It's sooo calm and private.
I can not understand the negative reviews about seaweed and pieces of pine tries. This is just nature, not litter.
Also the difference between low & high tide didn't botter me at all. We've swum from 1pm until 6pm without a problem. And during low tide you can walk the ocean, which is really cool, but be sure to wear protective shoes (I've experienced the sea urchills the hard way ;) ). You can walk until the heavy waves and there it's a lot of fun to swim.

For me this vacation was amazing to be gone from all the technology and stress in Europe.
I loved the back to basics feeling. In the evening there were a lot of power failures but that didn't bother me at all. It was just cosy, they bring candles to your bungalow, or when you are eating in the restaurant.
On vacation I want to be far away from other tourists, noise, animation, music etc and this was the perfect place. If you are looking for a luxury resort with swimming pools this is not the place for you!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This place was awesome! My husband and I went with our 7 and 9 year old sons and 16 year old nephew (they shared one bungalow and we had our own right next to it). We had the place and beach to ourselves. We rode bikes up the beach (about 25 minutes) to Paje and came back as fast as we could because Bwejuu was way cooler and more peaceful -- Paje is a bit of a scene. The food was so good we never ate anywhere else and they even gave us a cooking class and took us to market in Stonetown to get all the spices to take back with us. The guys running the Upepo -- Patrick, Rhasta and Silam(?) were great and could not have been nicer and more enjoyable to be around. Mellow, peaceful place -- no one bothered us and we felt safe. Best spot in Zanibar -- quiet beautiful beach where we swam all day with the kids, great food and hosts, wouldn't stay anywhere else....unless of course you're looking for the disco, pool-side party scene.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Juba, South Sudan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The location of Upepo, it's simplicity and it's vibe takes you to find the peace and silence that you need to recharge your batteries
the food is amazing and the crew is super friendly and always worried to make your stay better
all you have to care about is....nothing

Room Tip: when you book ask for the bungalow that's closer to the sea
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Upepo is on a deserted stretch of beach at Bwejuu on the eastern coast of Zanzibar. While the accomodation are pretty modest, this was maybe our favourite place we stayed in two weeks on Zanzibar. Rasta & Patrick, who run the place, were super friendly, funny & easy going. The food was the freshest and most delicious we ate on our trip and I am still dreaming about the octopus masala!!
If you needed to be entertained then this is not the place for you, however if paradise is a stretch of white sand, a cold beer, some freshly caught & cooked seafood and some solitude with your better half then Upepo will make you smile.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

After 6 nights in Stone Town, Upepo was a great place to wind down for my last night in Zanzibar. My friend and I had spent our time in Stone Town touring everyday and for the last night, we stayed at Upepo. We called Upepo before we left our hotel and we were giving great directions to give to the taxi driver in case he had trouble finding it.

We found it with no problem and we were immediately helped with our bags upon arriving. We changed into swimsuits and sat on the beach (low tide) and relaxed for the day. The owner was friendly but not overly chatty. I was really impressed when she asked if we wanted fish for dinner and then walked out to a fisherman making his way up the beach and arranged to purchase fish from him then and there.

Dinner was excellent!! I understand her fiance (husband?) did the cooking and we had no complaints. Of course, there was a power outage that evening, and there was no explanation (I now understand that it was "understood"). But the owner made sure that our path was lit to find our bungalow and that we had a lamp for it.

Sure the water was cold and the bathroom was basic, but it's a beach bungalow!! While I didn't enjoy the cold water at the time, I look back on the experience and wouldn't trade it for the world!

Breakfast was excellent!! And the best thing about it all!! The price was unbelievable!! I kept thinking that we were misquoted or that I misunderstood, so I came prepared to pay more. But the bill was as quoted and the menu prices were more than fair for the food and service received!

I would definitely return!!

P.S. I think a previous reviewer had different expectations of the type of lodging this was. She wanted dinner instantaneously for her kids and was sore about not receiving the birthday cake she wanted. Although better communication about what the capabilities are at the resort may have solved the problem with the birthday cake (did she think they would be able to go to Safeway grocery store for a box of chocolate Duncan Hines cake mix in Bwejuu?), the reviewer should take into account the accommodations she is accustomed to as well as the speed at which she expects meals presented, and, in the future, book accordingly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Norrkoping, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We spent 5 days at Upepo in mid May after safari in northern Tanzania. Perfect location and bungalows, almost no people around at the end of the rain season. Amazing staff Patrick, Jaha and Hassan - very nice and friendly guys providing the best service. Seafood they cooked is very delicious. It was really nice to chat with the guys in bar with a bottle of beer. Relaxing atmosphere, like home, one never gets such atmosphere in big hotels. One evening they took us to night club in the nearest village, unforgettable memories. I definitely think to come again.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bujumbura, Burundi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

We spent 5 days at Upepo with our two young boys -- it was just what we needed as a break from some hard work in Burundi. Granted we're used to African traveling. But we found the accomodations clean and carefully prepared, though simple. The food was amazing. Great use of flowers everywhere for an exotic touch of beauty. The staff were friendly and helpful and available. They made it easy to do various Zanzibar excursions without a lot of stress. The beach is beautiful. Yes, the tide does go out a long way, but that makes it very interesting at low tide to explore with children BUT DON"T FORGET YOUR RUBBER SOLED SHOES!!! Next time I would bring snorkle gear for the in-between tide -- amazing little creatures to see down there. We could have stayed longer, just to relax and not do excursions, but alas, worked called!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Upepo Boutique Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!