I have been remiss in submitting this review as it has now been seven months since my husband and I stayed there in November 2012. My travel agent had not heard of this property and I was the one who insisted on adding it to our itinerary--it was one of the best decisions I made about our Tanzania/Zanzibar trip. Bwejuu is not a swimming area given the shallow waters, but that was fine for us as we're not huge swim-in-the-ocean people and there is a pool if you really want to get some strokes in. However, if you're looking for a place to relax, be taken care of, and generally unwind after safari, this place is fantastic.
There are only five villas on the property which, as you can imagine, leads to extremely personalized service. Meals can be eaten any time you want and anywhere on the property. The food was decent and they try really hard for high-end presentation but the flavors are just not very sophisticated if you're accustomed to fine dining. Still, it was generally better than what we got at the safari lodges and the toasted, buttered bread was to die for.
The villas are all well-appointed and HUGE. From the time I booked to the time we arrived I guess I had forgotten what the pictures looked like but I think our villa (named Lily if I remember correctly) rivaled our S.F. apartment in size :) Everything was cleaned immaculately, they left pretty arrangements on the bed each night, and the a/c made everything very comfortable. Note that some villas have a/c in the living room area and some don't because they are more open-air--be sure to ask about this if you don't want to be confined to your bedroom to cool off.
The sand in the area is nice and soft and they do a great job of keeping it clean on the Anna property. There is a small gift shop on site as well, but the prices of some things (the napkin rings come to mind) are a little high and if you walk north on the beach a ways you'll find some other shops to check out.
We did each also get a massage at the on-site spa, which was lovely. The massage itself was good and the facilities were great, with a spacious shower and supplies that you could use to rinse off afterwards.
Overall, highly recommend this place and the wonderful staff is to be commended for their effort and care. Thank you for helping us end our trip on such a high note, I hope we can come back some day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private and exclusive boutique hotel with 5 superb villas only. Situated on the east coast of Zanzibar with a beautiful beach. Swimming pool, spa, bar, restaurant with superb seafood. Activities include diving, fishing, boat trips and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Anna of Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anna Of Zanzibar Hotel Bwejuu
- Anna Of Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Bwejuu