“Gorgeous Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Bwejuu
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Gorgeous Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We loved this resort - it is stunning and the staff are attentive and charming
Great food - dinners consist of 5 or 6 courses - they are all beautifully prepared and presented - not too much of anything which is very satisfactory. Wines are great and varied
Large sumptious villas (we had a waterfront one)
Loved the fact that there is a great deal of attention to detail
We swam most days - there is a bit of seaweed at high tide - but this resort has a beautiful pool also we had our own private pool. Also - can walk out to the reef at low tide which is interesting

Room Tip: We had a beach front villa
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We decided to stay at Baraza for 3 days/3 nights to end our 3 week Honeymoon in Kenya and it was the perfect place to relax and spend some quality down time together before heading back to reality!

Let me start with complimenting the decor and design of Baraza Resort!! The Arabic influence made every inch of Baraza warm and luxurious. The lush, colorful grounds made for some fun exploring during our stay. And most importantly, our room was AMAZING!!! One of the largest, nicest rooms we've ever stayed in and probably ever will! We were in an oceanfront room that faced the beach and we felt like we were the only ones in the world. Loved our stay here and spent more time in our room here than we did anywhere else during our trip!

The pool area was lovely and is definitely large enough to get your own space with as many people around as there were. We spent most of our time at our private plunge pool at our room, so I don't have much more to review in terms of the main pool area and service.

If you are coming here to spend all day swimming in the ocean here, this is not the place. I do agree with a previous reviewer in that the beach is not best for swimming, but we spent most of our time lounging under the umbrella at our reserved beach cabana, walking on the reef and enjoying our private lounge pool. Not swimming in the ocean was not on our agenda and the scenery was so pretty that none of those details mattered. The beach itself is clean and the grounds of the Resort were well maintained. We were left alone when we wanted to be and were able to be in the mix when we felt like it. Since we were on our honeymoon, that was important to us!

The service wasn't all that personal, but we came from spending all day on safari with just us and a guide, so nothing really compares to that one on one experience. That being said, everyone was pleasant, including all the guests we interacted with and we were certainly treated well during our time here.

The food was abundant and delicious and we certainly never left a meal hungry! The breakfast and lunch buffets were similar most days, but there was enough variety to keep things interesting. There's definitely something for everyone. The dinner experience felt more formal, only because they move the seating to another area of the grounds and there was live music. One night was a buffet and the other two nights offered a 3 course meal with options to choose one selection from each course. We aren't picky eaters, so we're easy to please in most food situations.

Overall, we had a really romantic, relaxing, pleasant time at Baraza! We definitely recommend this place for couples looking to spend some time doing little to nothing (except enjoying each other's company!) in a beach setting. You won't regret staying at Baraza!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are the way to go! You can see the ocean from the room and walk right out to the be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ths review is a little out of the ordinary in that it doesn't talk so much about the anbience, quality or location of this resort as it does about the people who work there.
We had been on safari in Botswana, Namibia and thr Serengeti for three weeks and had booked in to Baraza Resort for four days of relaxation before making the 30 hour trip back to Australia.
Sadly, the romantic finish to our holiday was not to be - I conracted a serious bacterial infection on my last day in the Serengeti which had most unfortunate intestinal results. The next day after a somewhat harrowing trip from the middle of the Serengeti to Zanzibar, we arrived at Baraza Resort and informed Lillian the manager of my condition and made her aware that I needed urgent medical treatment. Sympathy and understanding were immediate. Without delay, I was taken to the resident nurse's office. Mercy is the nurse at Baraza and I cannot speak highly enough of the way she looked after me. Suffice to say that when I returned to Australia, a medical specialist informed me that he would have put me in hospital for treatment.
Mercy was a constant in my life for the next two days - nothing was too hard and, as I discovered form my Australian doctor, evrything Mercy did was precisely what I required.
We arrived on a Wednesday and by Friday, I was able to join wife and Friends for breakfast. Ali, the dining room manager mysteriously knew all about my condition (as, it appeared did most of the resort staff I spoke to, all of whom were concerned about my well-being) He made sure that I ate only the food that would not adversely affect me - not perhaps what I would have chosen but obviously the safer course of action.
Thanks to Mercy's ministrations and the food guidance from Ali, by Saturday, I was able to walk on the beach and lie in the sun. By Saturday evening, I was, at last able to enjoy dinner - and it was memorable for that reason.
I don't think that I am qualified to comment of Bazara as a resort simply because it was, for me, more of a place to recover from serious illness. I can only express my heartfelt thanks to Mercy for enabling my recovery and to the resort for the care and attention it provided.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

First things first -- know that the beach here is not the best for swimming. The water is full of seaweed and at high tide, it comes right up to the stairs leading down to the beach area. At low tide, you can walk forever out of the reef (get reef shoes from the sports center), which is a really fun and different experience in its own right. Though each villa is assigned its own beach chairs (not directly on the actual beach, but on a sandy area just before), it was really breezy and not ideal to sit out there. Most people gravitated towards the pool area instead. Obviously nothing to do with the resort, but just something to be aware of. In fact, in all my research on Zanzibar, it doesn't seem to have great swimming beaches, so if that's what you are looking for, you may want to look elsewhere.

Anyway, on to the resort. As others have mentioned and as it clear from the resort's site and brochure, it has a very Arabic design, which reflects Zanzibar's history, but is different from the thatched-roof Swahili style that some may be expecting. Regardless - the rooms are huge. We stayed in a one-bedroom oceanfront villa and it was one of the most spacious accommodations I've ever had. Huge bedroom with a comfortable bed, living area, separate sultan's den area off of the living room (which was really cozy and nice to have some after-dinner drinks in), enormous bathroom area - more like it's own suite. Nice amenities (no conditioner, though). Outside you have another bed, a plunge pool, two chaise lounges, and another chair-bed that is connected to the wall. Very, very nice.

Food was consistently good. I knew from other reviews that the resort does buffets every other night and I wasn't really looking forward to this. I don't mind buffets for breakfast and lunch but really am not a fan of dinner buffets. But these were actually done really well. First night was Swahili night (my favorite), second night was a set menu (it's really not a la carte - you just have a choice of vegetarian or non-vegetarian), third night was Tradewinds (Asian theme). I was really disappointed with the vegetarian offerings for the Tradewinds buffet. Even the salads had meat or seafood. Really the only vegetarian options were steamed rice, steamed spinach, Chop Suey, one version of vegetarian sushi, and stir fried noodles. A vegetarian is not going to starve, but compared to the plethora of options with meat and seafood, it was quite disappointing. However, I spoke to the chef and he brought out some samosas and spring rolls which were delicious and very much appreciated. Wine options are -- red or white. Again, not something I usually like - but the wines were actually fine, no complaints there. Breakfast buffet was a typical American/Continental style (great mini-donuts and coffee cake). Lunch was an assortment of sandwiches, salads, some mezze-style appetizers, a selection of tandoori and naan, pizza, and a choose-your-own pasta station (great pesto). Try the sangria (red version) - it's really quite good. You can also opt for lunch to be served to you at the beach or pool off of a separate menu, though we never did this. The bar for pre-dinner drinks is also quite.

The pool area is very nice. Someone is always walking by asking if you need drinks. Very enjoyable and relaxing. There isn't much to do at night, though occasionally there is entertainment at dinnertime. Make use of the insect repellant in the room, because if you're outside at night, you are sure to get bitten.

There's a few things I think the hotel could improve on. First, at the prices charged (€860/night), there is no excuse for wifi not being included. As it turns out, our travel agent made a mistake on our vouchers which said that internet was included. The hotel honored this, which was appreciated, but the wifi was very spotty and extremely slow. I would have been really upset had I shelled out the $15/day charge per device. I also think the hotel tries to gouge on the extras (the "exclusive" items, as they are called). If you want drinks delivered to your room, there's a room service charge, minibar prices are really high, and the suggested non-inclusive wines are quite pricy (think $100/bottle). Best to get your drinks filled up at the bar and then walk back to your room. The gift shop prices are really prohibitive - $30 for a bottle of sunscreen. There really shouldn't be a need to make high margins on the little things when one is paying such a high price for a night's stay. If you decide to stay here, I'd recommend just resigning yourself to taking advantage of the included items and try to avoid spending on anything else.

So, overall, it was a good stay. Everyone was very nice. It might lack the very personal feel of some other places (we'd just come from a safari where everyone knew us by name), but it was certainly a pleasant place to get some R&R.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Abuja, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

For our 10th anniversary, my husband Obi and i (both lawyers, very critical and well travelled) spent 5 days at Baraza resort at an ocean view villa first week in september. The experience was worth every cent as it was exactly what the doctor prescribed. Lots of pampering (which we did not expect but truely needed to de-stress), attention to detail, customer care and ever so accommodating and hands on staff and management. Special thanks to our villa host, who always went the extra mile, the F&B manager who made us feel at home and laugh a lot, the German intern at the bar and the entire team who were simply amazing. The unique architecture reflects the history of Zanzibar. The landscape, nature, unspoilt and beautiful. The people are very warm and easy going.....always hakuna matata, and poli poli. All in all, our experience at Baraza made our get away spectacular. Many thanks from Helen & Obi. Abuja, Nigeria.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed for four nights having done a six night safari and we all thought it was sublime.

Superb two bedroom villa with plunge pool and lovely garden. Wonderfully furnished. Excellent bathrooms.

The pool and gardens are terrific. It was pretty quiet when we were there, but i think even if it was full, there would be tons of spare beds etc.

Food and drinks were very good. We lucked out with the two buffet evenings being our favourite cuisines. Lots of choice for breakfast and lunch. I thought the "inclusive" wines were very decent too.

Super bar for pre-dinner cocktails.

Last word goes to the staff though. Fantastic. Sam went out of his way on numerous occasions to ensure we had a great holiday. Friendly and polite local waiting staff, great housekeeping and gardening staff and lovely villa host too.

I would recommend Baraza to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Baraza from August 21-25 at the start of our honeymoon. After long travel from the US, we were excited to have a beautiful place to relax, enjoy the sun, and decompress.

Baraza was truly spectacular. The resort is beautifully laid out, with a small number of villas and nice lawn/gardens/flowers everywhere. There are beach chairs/tables spread out on the beach overlooking the ocean; there are four covered daybeds by the pool that my wife and I napped on the first day; our private villa was spacious and beautifully appointed; and the food is delicious and five-star, with very nice and extensive options for the breakfast and lunch buffett, and dinner usually from the menu in one of their two restaurants (which alternate every night).

My wife and I were treated to honeymoon specials, including a complementary massage, champagne in the room, and a private beachside lunch. The staff at Baraza went out of their way to look after our needs and we were very impressed.

In short, Baraza was a fantastic place to start our honeymoon, and you will be very happy (and relaxed!) when staying at this wonderful beach paradise. Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Baraza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!