“Loved every minute of our stay in Baraza!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Honeymooners’ Offer
Ranked #1 of 12 hotels in Bwejuu
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Loved every minute of our stay in Baraza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Paradise......Baraza is one of the most beautiful hotels in Zanzibar. I cannot fault one thing about Baraza! My family had the most amazing holiday at Baraza over Easter 2012.

After a previous disappointing holiday in one of the bigger resorts in Zanzibar I spent long hours looking into the various hotels in Zanzibar. My requirements were a beautiful hotel that allowed for the kids to have fun, my husband and I to relax, good food and upmarket luxurious accomadation. Baraza didnt disappoint.

My children were 14,11 and 4 and although there is a great childrens club, my kids chose to stay with us at the beach and gorgeous pool. They kept themselves busy with swimming, snorkelling, paddelling, cycling and a stream of drinks and food that is on constant offer!!!

The hotel has recieved negative comments about the tide going out and so the resort has no sea to swim in for half the day. Being on the east coast this is indeed the case and although there is no doubt it is alot more pleasant when the tide is in, we found that when the sea went out the kids played endlessly in the rock pools that were full of amazing things. When the sea was out we just used the pool. The loungers on the beach are great and there are small private areas along the beach that the five of us set up camp everyday. There was always a constant stream of cool face towels, freshly squeezed fruit juices, cut fruit and cookies offered to us by passing waiters.

Our villa was one of the family villa a few rows back from the sea, so we didnt get a sea view however the gardens are totallay private and our private plunge pool was brilliant we used it alot. The villas are beautiful so spacious so the kids had a big bedroom that 3 slept in with ease and we had a huge main suite. We always loved getting back to our immaculate, airconditioned villa after a long day by the pool/sea because it sure was hot!

The food was amazing,always something different and always in a different venue which we loved. Although the main resturant, with air conditing was my favourite due to the heat! The oriental night was a favourite and on Easter sunday they did a seafood lunch that my kids still talk about.....delish!

The staff were fantastic. They all knew us and couldnt do enough for us, they loved my 4 year old and would take such pleasure from watching him play and enjoying his food!

Such a wonderful holiday and we have such great memories of it that we are thinking of going back there again this year as I cant imagine being as happy any where else!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Farnham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

As with other reviewers all I can add are more superlatives! Baraza is simply one of the best villa beach hotels you can find anywhere. The buildings are all wonderfuly styled in a Moorish design. The service is very friendly and attentive and because the maximum capacity is less than 90 guests, you get to know the staff and they get to know you - it seems that nothing is too difficult for them. This is also a "foodies" paradise - all meals are superb with buffets and fine dining days all with very good SA wines. We had a 2 bedroom villa which was extremely spacious and comfortable with loads of places to sit and relax both inside and outside in your garden and plunge pool. The beach is spectacular and you are often the only people on it. Whilst the locals will try and sell you their wares if you are on the beach, they are very friendly and do not push too hard. I cannot fault Baraza in any way and my wife, daughter and I extend our thanks to all of the staff for a wonderful 5 days. Special thanks to Jemima!

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This resort is the most exceptional place I have ever stayed!! I stayed here for 4 nights with a friend after travelling through Kenya and Tanzania on safari and it was the perfect to unwind and relax after the safari's. Whilst resorts/hotels of this level always have luxurious rooms and facilities ( & this place is no exception) what is to commended is the quality of service provided by the staff. From the minute we were welcomed at reception to the time we checked out it was just perfect. The bar and wait staff are locals and they are so friendly and exceptionally trained. Both myself and my friend really noticed how exceptional the service is. The quality of food is just amazing. They alternate between buffet and set menu from night to night but you also have the option of room service for a nominal tray fee (approx. $15US) - we did this one night on the day we did a Stone town tour and just wanted to stay in the villa, and they sent some little extras at no charge with the meal. The spa is very luxurious and provides quality services. The only 2 suggestions I could make to improve the experience - is 1) to have the option of internet in the villas (after coming back and reading one of the past reviews I see this option is available by calling front desk and they bring a router to your room) but having it available when you'd like to access the internet would be good and 2) signs at the beginning of each path with the villa numbers would help! You end up so relaxed at Baraza that we ended up walking down the wrong path a number of times.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful hotels in Zanzibar. The beach is just stunning and the rooms too have a lovely Sultan's era like feel to them.
The spa is definitely something worth trying out. I felt like a queen :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived at Baraza after an amazing safari in Tanzania and found a little piece of heaven on a beautiful beach in Zanzibar. The rooms are villas which are spacious and nicely furnished, the gardens and pool are very well maintained and the beach front cooling with the sea breezes. The food was excellent and very varied and, finally, the quality of the staff and service were impeccable. This is a wonderful place for a complete chill out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have just returned from a fabulous one week stay at the Baraza resort - we are well travelled 'foodies' and just loved everything about this beautiful and stylish hotel. We were frankly a bit apprehensive about our first 'all in' package but were not at all disappointed.

The breakfast choice is fabulous whether you want a simple fruit platter or a freshly cooked omelet etc. Lunch is a similarly extensive buffet with a selection of salads, curries, pasta with sauce cooked with your own selection of ingredients or (our choice) either for example, a tandoor roast chicken kebab or griddled lobster. Dinner alternates between a set 5 course meal or on two nights in the week during our stay, stunning Indian and Swahili buffets. The wines served as part of the inclusive deal were very good quality and there is a beautiful bar for pre dinner cocktails

Rooms are gorgeous & spacious with really comfortable beds, lovely pool area, beautiful white sand beeches, friendly attentive staff - I could run out of superlatives.... one gripe, the sun loungers are not the most comfortable but in defence, they are plentiful if you prefer a degree of solitude and tropical storms perhaps don't make it practical to have padded loungers

A must try experience

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Faggeto Lario, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

When we were booking our stay in Zanzibar it was not so evident which place is better and which is not so good so we booked 5 nights in Zanzibar and 5 nights in a different hotel (where we were supposed to get a better beach) and it was our biggest mistake.
The first thing - the hotel exeeded our best expectations. We travel a lot and always stay in top hotels, we have lots of needs because of our 4 little kids, we are quite spoiled with high quality service and high standard facilities but this time we were really surprised.
The quality of service is fantastic - everywhere starting from reception, guest relation manager (we had Daniel) and restaurants (and other food and drink service) we met professional people who offered us lots of attention, assistance and positive emotions. I can not understand reports where guests tell about low quality of food or lack of choice...That is not true. The choice is big and if you don't like something they will prepare you a special dish according to your taste with smile and with excuse that you would need to wait couple of minutes more...
We felt like in a magic palace where all your problems/issues can be resolved by helpful staff.
I really do not have enough of words to describe all positive moments of this hotel. I can only say that my kids were crying when we moved to other place and they were telling me: we don't have problems with our current hotel, the hotel is not bad, it is because Baraza was too good and comparing to it any other hote seems ugly...
I would really to thank all hotel staff and owners of this hotel who made our stay unforgettable. I want to say "thank you" to Daniel, our villa manager, "thank you" to the manager of "food and drinks area" who was always nice and helpful and who coordinated preparation of all kind of different food for our kids and they were changing their ideas every 10 minutes...
Of course there is a low tide (but in almost all Zanibar beaches you will see it) but during this low tide you can have a walk on the reef, you can have a bicycle, you can realax at the swimming pool area with cocktail or fresh coconut....
We definitely will come back. I already promised it to my kids.

Room Tip: Actually all villas are very good, with lots of space and with private pool and small garden
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Baraza Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!