“Truly Wonderful” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Truly Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Melia, Zanzibar in a cliff side Pavilion room on an AI Premier basis in early Sept. The room was amazing with all the luxuries you would expect and views of the Indian Ocean to die for....the sunken bath was a real treat. Food was excellent with many restaurants to choose from inc the room service which is free on a premier deal (not so on normal AI). The sandy beach is a short cart ride away or even a casual stroll (beach or path) as the jetty beach is rock form. Service is good although more focused for 'western' folk (beach better than hotel).
Only real downfall was that although we had arranged a transfer from the airport this failed to show and was put on our final bill (once explained it was removed) and at $75 was bit of a pill as you can get a normal transfer for $50.
Highly recommend the Spa and all that it offers which is run by some very nice Thai women
Watch out for Zanzibar departure tax ($48 at time of writing).

Room Tip: Cliff side Pavilion is worth the extra
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for this wonderful response and feedback posted on Trip Advisor! It is a great pleasure knowing that we were able to satisfy you during your stay. I am very glad to learn that you were amazed by our facilities, grounds, high standard of services, meal plan in our outlets and SPA services. At Melia Zanzibar, we always strive to not only meet but also exceed our guest’s expectations. I will absolutely share your awesome comments with the entire team. I must say that your comment is a huge motivational tool which means a lot to all of us.

On a different note, I do apologize for the shortfalls and misunderstanding upon your arrival at the airport that the driver came late to pick you up, and $75 was included in your final bill. I have noted your honest feedback which will also be shared with concern department to avoid future occurrences.

We are looking forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

The resort was wonderful, the food was amazing, complements to the chef all was fantastic and the buffet dinners were brilliant, it was based on a theme dinner buffet. Plus you have two other restaurants to choose from.We were very impressed with the food. We would recommend being part of the premium package and not just all inclusive cos then certain things you have to pay for No one told us that there were two choices. We had a garden room which was very comfortable. It's a wonderful place for couples very relaxing and romantic holiday. Groups of friends could have fun, but there is no party vibe if that's what u looking for. The spa was wonderful loved the massage.

• Stayed August 2013
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for selecting Melia Zanzibar as your relaxing destination during your recent vacation. We appreciate your positive review posted on Trip Advisor, it is extremely important to us to learn that you loved our products. Your comments will certainly be passed along to the entire team. We also take pride for their hard work.

I sincerely do apologise that we didn’t provide sufficient information about our packages. I have noted your concerns which will be used to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. We are looking forward to your return.

Kind Regards
Botucatu, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Me and my husband were in Zanzibar for 4 days in the Melia Hotel. The room is very nice and the bathroom......huge! The people were very nice: Thanks to Mr. Eames ( I do not know if the last name is right from the guest service desk) , Jennifer his assistant, Hussain (in the restaurant), Mr. Lukka ( from the bar in the library) and last but not least the germany man, manager of the spices restaurant. Very commitet with his job. Great!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay at Melia Zanzibar. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and also to hear you loved our products. We truly pride ourselves to have a strong team, which you have recognized their hard work. Your honest comments have been shared with the entire team and special regards were forwarded to all mentioned Ambassadors.

We remain at your entire disposal should you find yourself back in the Island.
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I visited the Melia over a weekend on a business trip to Africa. We arrived at the hotel at 3:00 am in the morning after a long flight and a bad experience with lost luggage. Although everything was in darkness, we were warmly greeted by the gentlemen at the front desk. A "snack" had been arranged for our arrival--cold sandwiches and fresh fruit--totally awesome! We didn't know that the hotel was all inclusive until we checked in. The rooms are spectacular--the bathroom is huge and I was amazed at all the choices I had for bathing--indoor shower, outdoor shower and an enormous soaker tub. All the meals were fun and I especially enjoyed the different stations with different food items. The restaurant opens to the outside and it is lovely sitting there and looking at the gardens. We had an awesome dinner at the jetty one night and felt very pampered during our stay. The water in front of the hotel is absolutely a beautiful turquoise color. Sunrise on the jetty is spectacular. Take your camera!

Room Tip: Rooms are very quiet since there aren't many in each building. I seldom saw anyone as I came ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our resort. So glad you enjoyed the grounds, meals and facilities and the quality of service provided by all our Ambassadors. I have taken the liberty to share your valuable comments the entire team.

We are committed to provide unique and best in class services to our guests, which make a difference at the time they are with us.

We count ourselves privileged being your host during your recent holiday, wishing to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm currently sitting in the Melia writing my first ever TA review. I've never felt compelled to shout the praises of a hotel until now.

Great hotels and businesses are a product of a fantastic management team. The team here are second to none.

The property is amazing. Private beach beautiful. Food excellent. Service impeccable.

I'd recommend this hotel completely.

• Stayed August 2013
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your honest review on Trip Advisor at the time you are with us.
We are always pleased to receive acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is rewarding when a guest recognizes our services, facilities, grounds and especially the personnel around. I will pass your comments to the entire team as it one of great recognition.
At Melia Zanzibar we have one mission, we strive to provide unique and best in class services and exceed our guests’ expectations. We feel very proud to have done that during your stay, so that you have a memorable experience.
From the ALL team we wish you a wonderful stay, and we are looking forward to welcome you again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here alone over the weekend, easy and efficient check-in. Handed a cold wet towel and fresh juice cocktail whilst having a run through of the complex, amenities and what was included in the All Inclusive package. Advise you to go for this option otherwise will be very costly. The basic package entitles you to the majority of the menu meals and snacks plus cocktails. Room very spacious, bathroom massive. Outdoor and indoor shower - I chose outdoor which was lovely. Bath is big and comfortable. Free shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and body lotion. Rose petals left everywhere by the cleaner. Toilet is separate from the rest of the bathroom - stubbed my toe on some unfinished concrete floor tiling!!! Blood everywhere! Not a Health and Safety issue that you'd expect in a 5 star resort! Lots of scuff marks on the walls, plus unfinished painting. Outside balcony looks a little dated. When ordering food or cocktails, they arrive lacking presentation skills e.g. dirty cocktail glass, stale glace cherry, limp lettuce. Ate out on the jetty restaurant one evening, as I am a vegetarian I was served cucumber/tomato strips to start, chow mein with rice AND potatoes for main (carb overload) and then fruit salad. Thank God I was All Inclusive as I would have refused to pay for this - awful for a 5 star hotel! Also found I was hassled a lot by the male staff just because I was a female travelling alone, NOT impressed by this but I couldn't be bothered to bring it to anyone's attention I just wanted to leave by the end of my stay. I paid a lot to stay at this hotel and although it was nice, it wasn't the luxury I was expecting and the food quality wasn't up to scratch in my opinion. Good that it has free Wi-Fi although why this isn't available in the rooms is anyone's guess (only available if you have a laptop which I didn't) I would not return here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for choosing Melia Zanzibar and taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with us. On behalf of entire team, I am very sorry for the negative experience you had during your entire stay, it is very disappointing to hear we were not able to provide the service which we strive for. I would further extend our apologies for the fact that you encountered a disrespectful manners and great inconveniences by a male staff.

This is totally unacceptable behaviour and I wish we could have the details to guide us on this matter; serious measures would have been imposed immediately.

Our goal at Melia Zanzibar is to ensure complete satisfaction to all of our guests is priority, and failure to do so is simply unacceptable.

We would be honoured to be your hotel of choice for future trips to Zanzibar while looking forward to your return!

Kindest Regard
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We've spent here 7 nights in december 2012 and they are offering a very good value for money! I would really recommend to book the all inclusive!

+ buffetrestaurant is offering every night themed buffets (BBQ, African, Creole, Mediterranean etc), the buffet is not that extensive but everything is very tasteful!
+ Gabi Beach Club, very nice beach club! You can easily spend the entire day over there! The meals during lunchtime are excellent and their pizzas awesome :-) There is security on the beach, so you won't be bothered that easily, this can be a real problem if you wan't to do some nice beach walks!
+ spacious rooms, especially the bathrooms with indoor and outdoor shower and stand alone bathtub
+ the beachfront cottages are really nice and more recent, the ideal spot for your next honeymoon!
+ nice Anantara Spa with Thai staff
+ outdoor swimming pool but also a second (and very quiet) infinity pool at the spa

- sometimes it was really impossible to have wifi connection at the library, but I think this is just a general problem on the entire island
- the rooms (especially the wardrobe and furniture) need a refurbishment
- the (buffet)restaurant and terrace might be to small in case of high occupancy
- the hotel is located at the sea, but is not beachfront, you have to the take the clubcars to go to the Gabi Beach Club (6 minutes driving from the reception), personally this wasn't a problem for me but maybe for others if might be...

Overall, a very nice (standard) 5* property with correct rooms, a complete a nice all inclusive (with excellent food and beverages)!

Many thanks also to John Elmes (public relations) who's doing a great job at the hotel!

Room Tip: If you are on honeymoon, you really need to book the romantic beachfront cottages!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing Melia Zanzibar for your recent holiday in Tanzania. We are glad that you took your precious time to share your views and experience on Trip Advisor. On a positive note; we are overwhelmed to hear that you were impressed by our standard of our 5* hotel, and besides you also loved our meal plans with various dishes on the menu, facilities, structure of the rooms, Gabi beach, Anantara SPA team and the watchful security team of which we are proud. I have taken the liberty to share your review with my team, especially John Elmes who is an asset to us, he knows our guests need and touches.

In regards to WIFI at the Library Bar; this has already rectified and WIFI is working properly. We have noted your comment on wardrobes and furniture to be refurbished; this is already in our plan. As for the trip to Gabi Beach and back, normally Golf Carts run every 15 minutes from and to, although some guests prefer to walk while enjoying the fresh air and also to discover our beautiful landscape of the entire property.

Once again thank you for your review, wishing to welcome you again in the near future.

Kindest Regards

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!