“Zanzibar in march” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Zanzibar in march”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you want a relaxing break, this is definitely the place to go. We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Melia. The hotel was quite luxurious. We were expecting to upgrade when we got there, but the basic room was so comfortable we didn't need to and we have no idea what they would do to improve the room, which was spacious, well decorated and furnished and had a fabulous bathroom, easily as big as the bedroom. The view was magical,looking across we'll tended gardens to a view of the Indian Ocean. We used the all inclusive package, which was perfectly adequate, usually there was plenty of choice in the buffet, pool bar and gabi beach. The pool was perfect with views down to the jetty bar, the beach which is a 2 km walk from the hotel ( there is a buggy service which we didn't have wait long for) is a lovely place to relax. You have to walk a long way to be able to swim at low tide, and need to watch out for sea urchins, but that all just added to the mix and was still lovely. Drinks and tapas at the jetty bar is a great place to watch the stars from in the evening. The staff were very attentive, Mary John looked after us well at the pool side, and the staff in the main restaurant were also very helpful and happy. We felt very safe, which didn't surprise us considering the number of security personnel around. The spa was great, except for one of their staff being on holiday so no waxing available!! The massages were lovely! The only down side was that being so far from stone town and banks made changing money difficult, we had dollars, but not small enough denominations to leave tips, and getting hold of Tanzanian shillings, again in small denominations was difficult. If you choose this hotel, book a night in stone town too to be able to see the island a little more, it's easy just to relax at the hotel, and miss put on a very interesting island. Trips out start early, not conducive to relaxation, but definitely a must. Loved it, so want to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post this excellent feedback about your stay at Melia Zanzibar. Great to read you found our hotel very luxurious offering attractive, good value and that you could take advantage of all its benefits. We are happy you found especially the breakfast, meal plans, fabulous rooms with all décor inside and amazing part of it is the services from all personnel around. I have taken the liberty to share your feedback with the team especially with those mentioned areas.

Melia Zanzibar Team is committed to deliver and exceed our guest expectations at all given times. This is truly the tool which makes us climb higher and be different in the Island.

We appreciate you very so much, hoping to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My stay at the Melia Zanzibar was good, but of course it could have been amazing. The location is good, in a quiet area of Zanzibar Island, far from the nearest town, which to me was good but not to some people - just pointing out. The room is very spacious, comfortable, with a lot of storage space. The bathroom is not only comfortable and beautiful, but also huge. I dare say it's the better than the bedroom itself. The premises are very large, so I had to walk a few minutes to get to the main building, where the restaurant and reception are. Breakfast was average, as well as the Club Sandwich I ordered from room service, but the price reflected the quality. The infinity pool is very nice and the staff were very helpful and attentive. Their private beach is not at the hotel itself and is beautiful and quiet (at least when I was staying).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor, so you can open the door and enjoy "your garden".
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for such a delightful review concerning your recent holiday at Melia Zanzibar. We are pleased that you found your stay with us to be the best experience in Zanzibar that you have had. I have shared your comments with our team which has lifted their spirit of working harder.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next stay with us

Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. The hotel it self is very nice (nice pool, the jetty is great and the rooms in general are very good). My room the shower could use at two spots new paint, but this is really minor issues.

The food at the buffet was good, nothing special. The snacks at the jetty and at Gabi Beach were very good.

So far I would give the Hotel 4 points, but I experienced to many flaws in regards of the service so it is just 3. Some examples:
I arrived quite late in the evening and the restaurant was just closed. They were surprised that i wanted something to eat (booked AI). Luckily I good at the end a quarter chicken with some rice.
They were very slow with preparing drinks and I had to sign for every single drink I ordered, it is just annoying.
I asked to stay one our longer in my room because my shuttle to the airport would be after the check out. I asked every day and they told me, come back next day. On my last morning I asked again, and they told me: I should sign-up for their membership, then I can stay longer. As i declined that, they told me I can't stay longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar. I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

On a different note, I would like to apologize for any inconveniences you encountered and made your stay uncomfortable. Concerning the performance of our staffs, please be assured that, we provide a continuous training sessions on a weekly basis to make sure the expected service to our guests is met. Melia Zanzibar as an International Company, we give priority to employ local staff and train them to meet our standards. It is very unfortunate that you didn’t experience that. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with my team and we will work on your comments to avoid future occurrences.

In regards to Scuba and hotel facilities information, all guests are given these information upon arrival. If they need anything further assistance our Guest Desk and Front Office are always at their disposal. It is very sad that we didn’t receive any complain at the time you were here.

I will appreciate to welcome you again in the near future.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The resort is located in a fantastic spot. The views from the rooms are really gorgeous and make you just want to laze away the day getting lost watching the clouds go by while you dip your toes in the water. I stayed in a large suite that was really magnificent. The furniture is well made and decorations in the living room and dining room were a little dated but in good taste and created a relaxing environment. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom had an indoor and outdoor shower and tub. Taking a shower at midnight, outside with a full moon is nice.
The rooms are very well kept; clean and well maintained. You will not have an issue with the quality of the room. The food was good. Not on par with the finest restaurants in Europe or the U.S. but very solid and I had no complaints. You can swim off the piers or walk down the white sand beaches to the hotels private beach (they will also provide a ride on a golf cart if you don't want to walk). The hotel itself is located 40 minutes from the main town and airport.
The staff was friendly. You are not going to get 5 star service but it was good and all needs were adequately met.
I will return and that best summarizes my experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and recognising the level of service we offered during your stay. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us.
I do hope we can have the pleasure to welcome you back again in the near future.

Warmest Regards
Bolzaneto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Melia Zanzibar offers a beautiful location with an excellent resort infrastructure that includes a Spa with an impressive service. The rooms are very spacious with a double shower (indoor and outdoor) with high quality furnitures. This is not the only resort we have seen in Kiwenga but for sure it seems one of the best maintained. Notice that the resort has not a direct access to the beach. However there are some electrical golf carts that move the customers to the close Gabi beach (10min ride). Such beach is very spacious thus avoiding overcrowding and providing a very relaxing experience.

This almost perfect setting is unfortunately not matched by the staff service. Notice that we have realized while in zanzibar that this is a common problem of the island. However, given the high level of the infrastructure, this poor service of the guest is much more evident and sometime very frustrating. Often to get something done by the stuff you needed to repeat your request twice or to give up. The information about the resort facilities are also not easy to gain from the guests services, for instance we took some days before realising that a scuba diving office was in the resort. Even if we asked this information directly to the front desk. These things might be marginal for a standard resort but not for the expected quality of this infrastructure.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Warmest Regards
Zanzibar, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

A warm and friendly greeting at the door with chilled face towels and cold fruit juice at reception at check in. From there we just spoiled and treated like kings and queens. We stayed in the terrace rooms with their own little balcony, lovely large bathroom with both indoor and outdoor shower with all the usual mod-cons. House keeping went the extra mile to find non-allergenic pillows for us.We ate in pretty much all the F&B outlets, all of them good with pretty good service despite the fact that the hotel was pretty busy. It might be worth your while to book a table in the venues you want to eat in when the hotel is busy. We loved the pool area, there is an on site dive center at the pool along with table tennis and other games. The jetty bar is great for tapas after sundown. Golf carts travel every 15 minutes to the hotels beach where there is everything you may need, food, drink, bathrooms, beach volley ball etc etc. Being a private beach also meant while you were on that part of the beach no being hassled by beach boys flogging sea shells and such. The on site Anatara spa is world class and worth going to. Overall a really great stay and will be back for sure.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms seem to offer a little more privacy due to the closed balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings, we are cerebrating to read your positive review on the trip advisor. Thank you for taking your time to provide feedback of your recent stay with us at the Melia Zanzibar.

We are delighted to hear that you loved the security and the safety during your stay with us, there are so many wonderful activities to enjoy during your stay, and I am pleased that you managed to enjoy our restaurants that we have on offer to our valued guests most especially the Premium and the All Inclusive guests.

With Melia Zanzibar you will always find the great value of your money because we provide the best services hand to hand with our professional team to meet our client’s expectations during their stay.

We sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I can only rate this hotel with three stars because other than the restaurant staff, they fall short. We found ourselves having to ask for simple things like water in the room. Our request for a wake up call was not fulfilled. I tried to make a call to town from the room and the receptionist told it was too much bother for her to give an outside line. We had to ask for minibar things that just should have been there, like coffee.
It is on beautiful grounds which are meticulously maintained.
The food is not five star quality, not been close.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write the comments about your recent stay with us at Melia Zanzibar, above all is the trust that you chose our hotel as your holiday destination. Although it is never pleasant to hear of our shortcomings, your comments are instrumental in guiding us towards total guest satisfaction. On behalf of the entire team please accept my sincere apologies for the unfavourable experience you encountered during your stay. We take some of your doubts and concerns as a challenge to improve our services, but also we cannot accept any criticism towards our hotel.

On a different note, I would like to remind you that, as soon as you requested for the mini-bar to be filled and bulb to be adjusted, room service and maintenance team were with you within 7 minutes time to make sure all reported issues were rectified. Our Guest Experience Team called you 15 minutes later, of which you confirmed that everything was fine and that you were satisfied.

Lastly but not least, I am proud to inform you that, Melia Zanzibar is part of an international company which comprises with an experienced team. We are qualified company selected to be in the market as a 5 Star Hotel.

We remain at your disposal should you find yourself back in Zanzibar!

Best Regards

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!