“Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I spent a quiet weekend in early December at the Melia Zanzibar between business weeks in Dar. We booked the all inclusive, which I had never tried before. It was great, and at $300 a night for two guests, I thought a terrific value. We had all the food and drink we could ever want. There were too many dining venue choices for our short visit - but all that we tried were beautiful. The breakfast buffet was so complete that we never needed lunch. The grounds and room and facilities are all to die for. We loved lounging by the infinity pool, and the beach. The service was impecable and made even more special by the friendly concierge, John, who made sure that everything was perfect for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Eliabeth,

Warm greetings from Melia Zanzibar!
I am delighted to read your positive review posted on Trip Advisor regarding your recent holiday at Melia Zanzibar.

I have shared your constructive feedback with the team and truly they are more than happy to have met your expectations. I am also pleased to learn that you managed to enjoy our restaurants where we have varieties of meal plans including ALL Inclusive packages, as well as stunning grounds and facilities which leave our guests speechless.

We sincerely hope that, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a week over New Year and absolutely loved it.

All of the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, nothing seemed like too much trouble (except, funnily enough with the guest services women downstairs who seemed less than interested in helping us out).

We decided not to go all inclusive as we wanted to travel round a bit and try different restaurants, but we did have the breakfast every day which was great. We also ate at The Jetty on New Years Eve which was a lovely experience - I would definitely recommend the Jetty restaurant to anyone looking for something a bit romantic and special.

Out room was fantastic, beautifully clean with an amazing and huge bathroom - and an awesome outdoor shower!

The location isn't great if you want to travel around a bit, and the hotel charges extortionate rates for taxis but it is easy enough to find someone local and book through them instead.

All in all, would absolutely recommend, a very special week.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback from your recent stay at Melia Zanzibar. We are delighted to hear that you loved our services, outlets, facilities and the attention from everyone whom you came across with. We are very proud that our efforts to provide the unique and outstanding services were reflected during your stay.

I am very sorry to learn that our hotel location and company cars charges were not to your satisfaction. In my point of view, the location suits most of our guests as they like a “hideaway” while on holidays. As for the transfer charges, we charge according to the distance, we are situated 40km from town, so the charges are worthwhile.

Our culinary team of professionals are dedicated to create a fusion of experiences to our entire guests, and your enthusiastic feedback has encouraged the team to bring more creativity to their services offered.

I am delighted to be at your entire disposal should you find yourself back in Zanzibar.
Dar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A very nice resort, with a sand beach with restaurant a little bit further on the resort - transport with elect. cars-
Good restaurants with a lot of choises of food. During x mass possible all incl for $ 50 pppd on top of bed and breakfast. Good choise for the money if you compare it to other resorts on the island where we were also during the x mass period. O yes, also the big bathroom was very nice with an inside and outside shower.

Bert, from Holland

Room Tip: We got a garden room with terras, very good, again!!! an fantastic resort
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post this very friendly review about your stay at Melia Zanzibar. I have taken the liberty to share your constructive comment with the team. We aim to extend a warm welcome to all our guest and we are happy to read that you found your stay comfortable and also that you enjoyed our services in our outlets and also bed and breakfast selection.

We hope we will be able to have the pleasure to attend you soon again.
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Melia! Melia! Melia! What a fantastic location seafront and in the middle of the most beautiful exotic gardens I have ever seen. The air is naturally fragranced by the flowers, birds chirping wherever you go, very private and exclusive rooms.
I was immediately upgraded to a suite as there were no normal rooms left and it was quite simply breathtaking.
Do not miss: a massage at the thai spa, dinner and drinks at the jetty with live music, lady brigitte to get you out and about on a day trip. Don't miss stone town!
Gabi beach is also fantastic.
Food was always good and varied. I would have personally liked to see some healthy diet options, maybe at aqua. Otherwise you can forget being on a diet here - too many temptations!!
Would have liked to see a dvd library for guests and more books in the library...but I am sure all of this is coming.
Doctor's clinic is available at the melia but very expensive, I would recommend you bring your own medicines.

• Stayed January 2013
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I want to thank you for choosing us and taking the time to write a review about us. You opinion is very important to us, and you have our commitment, from both the hotel management and all the staff, that all of your comments will be used to improve our services and make sure that all our customers have the best holiday and unforgettable experiences during their stay.

It is a pleasure to hear that we could share our magical garden with plants, flowers and our suspicious room that create an oasis combined with tranquillity which make your holiday more comfortable and relaxing. All staff work very hard and strive to go beyond the expectations of customers and we feel very proud to see results. Also your comments concerning more diet food in Aqua restaurant we have taken your advice into consideration and hope next time you will find more variety. As for Melia Clinic price, we are monitored by Ministry of Health the one who determines the charges.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent 11 nights [Romance Pavilion] at Melia, Zanzibar.
This hotel which could be great fails to deliver on some simple things such as the food (which is similar to what you would find in a good company's cafeteria), the pest control (there are too many flies in the restaurants, especially “Spice Market”, and mosquitoes in the main library upstairs). In addition, the hotel workers need to be better trained in handling customers and not just taking down messages and not returning some calls. Don’t get me wrong they aren’t rude or obnoxious, but are unable to act as you would expect from a 5 star hotel.
Furthermore, the hotel had too many power interruptions while we were there. I heard that the other rooms in the Hotel (not the Romance Pavilions) have UPS for the TVs. Not for us though! We had to put up with our TVs going on and off anytime the power went.
Our best hotel workers were, Mary [Spice Market] and Ceaser. The one we would fire without losing any sleep is a guy called Jan. Having said that we had plenty of fun on this trip! The hotel was clean (bathrooms, towels, pool area etc), and well built. The Tennis Court was OK (although I suggest you go with your equipment and some balls).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Will E

Much appreciation for your comments on the experience you had at Melia Zanzibar. I must say it was with great disappointment to learn of your negative experience, that we failed in our endeavour to meet your expectations. In regards to your comment concerning one of our staff, of which we find it is unacceptable mentioning individuals’ names. For that fact; I am very sorry I will not respond to that point, as our company policy respects individuals and believes that it is against human rights.

On a different note, I was delighted to read that you found the hotel to be well built and that you were amazed by our facilities and the services from the team. Please be assured that your opinion is very important to us, and you have our commitment, from both the hotel management and all the staff, that your comments will be used as a step tool up and also improve our services.

In regards to pest control, I also would like to assure you that we have a consistence plan of fumigation from one of the trusted and professional company, of which the fumigation is done once a month. As for the power problems, this depends on the external network, but rest be assured that we have our generator which switch over automatically whenever the power goes off.

We wish to welcome you again whenever you find yourself back in Zanzibar.

Warmest Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed as a family at the Mellia between Christmas and New year. The hotel was excellent. Right from the check in to check out everything went smoothly thanks to Jose Antonio
The rooms were clean and neat. The bathroom was HUGE! We were greeted each day with lovely decorations on the bed and bathroom thanks to Fathima Abdullah.
The food was great thanks to Chef Harald and his team of chefs.
Chef Harald worked very hard to make sure that all the meals were of top quality.
Special mention for Arjun who added a special touch to our special requests.
Also the team at Spices restaurant were very efficient and the service was good. Special mention for Reda who ensured everything was of high standard.
We loved the different theme nights at Spices and the wonderful Christmas gala dinner.
Cyprian at the pool bar worked hard running quickly up and down the pool area taking orders.
The team at Gabi beach headed by Suleman Said also did a great job.
I didn't mind that Gabi beach was about 1km away as the golf cart service was efficient and on time.
The only problem was the beach boys at the beach that kept nagging you all the time (I thought the beach was private so I don't know why they were allowed there??)
There are many other service staff that made the stay memorable like the two Juma's (tall and short)
Special greeting to Emily at guest services who went the extra mile to keep us happy.
We will be recommending the Melia to our friends and family.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Imraan,

Your exciting review has been received with extreme gratitude! On behalf of Melia Zanzibar, I am delighted to learn that the hotel exceeded your expectations and that you had a memorable time with us!

I have taken the liberty to personally thank all members of staff you have mentioned in your review and I must say that everyone had this beautiful smile of appreciation on their faces, which for me is one of the best signs to see. Indeed, we proud ourselves to treat all our guests in a personalised way.

On behalf of the team, I do apologize that the beach boys bothered you. I would like to assure you that, my team has gone extra miles to deal with these boys; we have a very strong security team at the beaches, who are keeping a very close eye to make sure our guests are protected. Strict guidelines are insisted and followed all the time.

We are very proud that you were the one to exceed your expectations with our outstanding services. We do believe that you will be a good ambassador to your friends and family telling them about Melia Zanzibar. This is truly a thumb up endorsement for us which we carry along.
Whenever you find yourself back in Zanzibar, don’t forget to contact us. We always remain at your disposal!

Happy New Year 2013!
Covington, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed at the Melia with my wife after a Kilimanjaro climb. The resort is located an hour from the airport and it is truely fantastic, the service first class. The restaurants have a wonderful variety of foods for every taste. The bathroom was bigger than our bedroom, with an indoor and outdoor shower and deep and over 60 " long bath tub that can accomodate normal size couples. It is a romantic resort and every member of the staff appears to be there just to please you. They have live music every night which is a joy with the evening breeze.

The downs:
1) the beach accross the resort is pretty but unusuable, full of rocks, mud, plants, unwalkable. They have another beach 1 kilometer from the resort. A gulf cart from the resort leaves frequently to Gabi beach. They have a few huts with a bar and a pretty view. a few yards of beach that you can walk in 5 minutes but again, you cannot get to enjoy the water of the sea if you want to swim. I am pretty determined but could not walk half a mile on rocks, seaweed, glass and other trash to get there. It is worth taking a few pictures since the view is spectacular.
2) Another inconvinience was the crowds of 20 year olds claiming to be captains (Harry, John, Charles) they would follow you every where with pictures of fish, clear water, outboard boats. Want to go fishing? Best prices, half a day $150 a person look....snorkling, pick you up tomorror $120 cheapest price. You can politly decline but they will keep going up until you get firm and tell them not to bother you any more.
3) they nickel and dime you. As you arrive, they offer an all inclusive service at $50 per person per day, they claim it includes all drinks and lunch and dinner since breakfast was already included. Once you pass your credit card and sign, they will show you a menu with all sorts of drinks, after each one there was one, two asterics or none. We were then told that the all inclusive covered only the one asteric items. Guess what, of the 30 wines on the menu, there was one Sauvignon blanc and one sparlking, of all the beers, just one brand was included, of all vodkas, only Smirthnoff was included.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are among the most inexpensive and are very well located, large and convenient
Dear Gabriel L

On behalf of Meliá Zanzibar am extremely grateful for your wonderful review of our hotel and staffs. We are indeed proud of our team who are our greatest asset; they have been hand-picked and trained by us to echo our brand ethos and philosophy which in turn is visible in the service delivery.

We are very sorry if the concept of all inclusive did not satisfy your expectations, apart from menu we also offer several other drinks like, cocktail with a lot of options to choose, there is also red and white wine although this is not listed in order to give wider choices to our guest satisfaction.

I do apologize that the beach boys bothered you. I would like to assure you that, my team has gone extra miles to deal with these boys; we have a very strong security team at the beach, whom are keeping a very close eye to make sure our guests are protected. Strict guidelines are insisted and followed all the time.

Once again thank you very much for your comments. We really try our best to guarantee that all our customer’s expectations are met at 100% and exceeded. We take all comments into consideration as a tool to better our services. We truly value you as a very important customer to us.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Happy New Year!

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!