“Excellent food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Leuven, Belgium
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the Melia at the end of November 2012.
We do travel very often but this was our first all-inclusive vacation.

Our stay at the Melia has been a positive surprise.
The buffet is very good. Every evening, the cooking team managed to surprise us. The buffet food is varied and good quality, and we did not feel the need to go to the (paying) hotel restaurant.
The only annoying aspect was the evening music band. For 6 evenings in a row, we had the same music band; that was a bit too much for us.

The staff is without exception very friendly, and the large majority of them know their job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Mr Dr Korneel

May I take this opportunity to thank you for Selecting Melia Zanzibar as your Relaxation Place for your holiday in Zanzibar, On behalf of Melia Zanzibar team we truly appreciate your wonderfully feed back to our Service during your stay with us,

We also thank you so much for appreciate Quality of Service we deliver to you during your stay , Also Regarding Music at Night we have plan for the Coming season to increase internments Especial to the Main Restaurant and our Romantic Jetty Bar , We hope next visit you will enjoy more and we expect you to visit us next Season as .

The good thing now you became party of Melia we expect to see you time to me

You’re the journey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed at Melia Zanzibar over New Year 2011 and although the hotel was nice and the beach was good, we felt that we could have been anywhere. Having travelled to Zanzibar before we felt the charm was the local chilled out vibe created by the friendly locals - which was missing at this hotel. The hotel has a very European feel and was mostly staffed by Europeans, which we didn't like. The manager was very rude to the few local staff there were in the dining room in front of guests and he had his family visiting so the staff,who were clearly terrified of him, spent most of the time running around trying to make his table happy to the detrement of paying guests. The facilities and rooms are beautiful, its a pity we felt the experience was spoilt by the atmosphere created by management.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Melia Zanzibar, I appreciate your very concise and pleasingly positive comments on the experiences and tips which will help other future travellers. It is so great to read that we made you feel so welcome at our hotel, and we were trusted to look after you. I would further thank you for your kind comments, especially about our staff as we perceive them to be our most important assets.

We are very pleased to know that our hard work, dedication and commitment towards our guest are recognised. I must say that, our mission has always been to exceed our guests’ expectations by providing unique services, and make them feel and see the difference at the time they leave from Melia Zanzibar.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Warmest Regards
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at Melia Zanzibar just over the past weekend because it was my birthday and I gave myself a treat.
I have to say the hotel is very nice and the staff are very helpful. For some reasons I couldn't do advance payment through credit card or bank transfer so I wrote to the reservation asking for cash payment upon arrival. To be honest, I didn't expect the reservation agree so readily. When Mr. Sadick Said of the Reservation Dept. wrote back to me confirming my booking with my request, I was really very happy and impressed by their consideration, flexibility and hospitality.
The check-in was nice as the staff would present you a refreshing towel of a very enchanting smell as well as a welcoming juice which is very tasty.
The receptionist gave me a free upgrade from Melia Garden Room to Melia Terrace Room for my birthday. The room is nice with a lovely terrace and a modern-style spacious bathroom.
The facilities are awesome. I like the library, the pool, all the restaurants, the gym and the spa.
The restaurant gave me a surprise at my birthday dinner with a beautifully presented birthday cake. And the food was amazing! I enjoyed the beef steak and wine so much.
The spa is very professional and enjoyable. Spa is done by professionals from Thailand. It was so relaxing and rejuvenating that I even fell asleep in the process.
The Spices restaurant is the main dining venue serving buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner. Dinner is themed differently every night. Saturday night is BBQ. Yummy yummy.
It is a great place for relaxation and holiday. I will come back again.

Room Tip: Melia Terrace Room have better view then Melia Garden Room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear guest

Greetings and Warm Wishes from Meliá Zanzibar

My heartfelt appreciation for your remarkable review posted on Trip Advisor, following your recent experience at Melia Zanzibar. It is heart-warming to receive such fabulous remarks on the architecture; decor and ambience of Meliá Zanzibar. I am happy to have learned that the team went over and beyond to ensure your stay was as comfortable, enjoyable and that you found peace.

Our culinary team of professionals love to create a fusion of experiences to our entire guest and your enthusiastic feedback always encourages the team to bring more creativity to their work spaces, it’s our cultural to create landmarks for our entire guests. This is what makes Melia Zanzibar unique.

We do hope that we get the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Zanzibar.

Happy New Year!
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Dear all,
I stayed with my wife in Melia from 29th October till 8th November 2012.
I start with things I did not like:
- paid airport pick up - this was the biggest surprise for both of us, that a 5* hotel and we as All Inclusive clients did not receive free airport pickup. It is more or less same for other hotels as well. But I would suggest that at least for clients who stayed for longer than 5 days (we stayed 10 days) it would be in payment included.
That`s it :)
Overall, we have been very satisfied with this hotel. The facilities are awesome, clean and modern. The gym is smaller (round 6-8 people training at same time), but is enough for a bit of relax. The rooms are organized in buildings with 10 rooms/ building. Besides rooms there are villas as well. Overall there is more than 1 pool. Big and very nice pool (even for children) is well organized while having stunning view of Jetti Restaurant and sea around. There is enough space to lay around the pool and the pool bar is active and effective with staff going around and taking orders. The main facility was with inside and outside restaurant, really nice and with many people serving your needs.
The beach - unless seeing more of them, I would put it as negative thing, but is same for almost all resorts - from what I heard from our tour guide, there is 1-2 hotels with nice beach. Our beach was really around 800m-1km, but they take you around with their golf cars :). Anytime, you just need to announce it on the reception. The beach is very nice, but during the ebb time.
It was amazing staying in this hotel and I loved it very much. If someone wants to go there, this hotel is very nice choice for anyone who wants to have luxurious holiday :)

Regards,
Tibor & Zuzana

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest

We are cerebrating reading your review on the trip advisor; we salute you and thank you for choosing Melia Zanzibar for the tranquillity and luxurious holiday in our hotel.

We are sorry for the airport pick up charges that you had to pay but this is one of our services provided in the hotel any client who wants a pick up and drop off from the hotel will be charged for 95 USD and we also have the special offers for our guests who stays with us for longer period like a free massage or a 20% discount from the Spa.

We are pleased to hear that you were able to meet your expectation and liked the place from the facilities, cleanliness and the relaxation you had during your stay. In the property we have three types of room we have the Garden rooms, Ocean pavilion and the villas and our guest choose what they afford to stay.

In the property we also have the playground for the children and the kid’s attendant who is always there to take care and play with the kids around the playground is just near by the main pool where you can be able to have a nice view from the Jetty Lounge.

Our property beach is one kilometre away from the property and we use the golf carts for pick up and drop off from the hotel to the beach every 15 minutes but also there are some guest are walking to the beach to enjoy the fresh air and the beautiful garden on their way to Gabi beach.

We are pleased to have you in our hotel and we wish to welcome you again soon in the near future.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

From the moment I set foot at reception and had a welcome drink and free upgrade to an ocean view room with an outdoor shower until the moment I left with a late checkout, it was bliss. The food was outstanding, the service great (for the most part) and the rooms and grounds were stunning. The spa was a real Thai spa that rivals any massages I've had in NYC. As a solo traveler, I was sometimes overlooked, but that's generally the case anywhere I am, particularly with all-inclusive options. Here, it was definitely a must as it pays for itself. Drinks options are great (excellent mojitos) too. The beach is a little far, but the staff makes you feel secure and the golfcart are always around if you don't want to walk (or it's dark or high tide and you can't). In particular, Genipher, Juma, Hassan, Isaac and Wallace made it a lovely stay. Extremely great value for your money. I wouldn't waste time in Stone Town-- just go for the day-- and enjoy the paradise at the Melia. Wish I had another week!

Room Tip: If you can get an outdoor shower, it is a MUST.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Many Greetings from Meliá Zanzibar Hotel and Resort .

It is so heart-warming to receive a thorough and detailed review of our property; it means a lot to us knowing you had a wonderful time with us.

You are perfectly right when you mention that after a week here, you don’t feel like leaving, a lot of guests do not feel like going back - we always tell our guests, you arrive as guests but you leave as close friends where so many stories and experiences have been shared between the guest and us! It is also sometimes quite difficult for us to say good bye hence we say see you soon.

Thank you once again for such a fantastic review, and we are looking forward to welcome you next visit !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed there for 9 nights, with the all-inclusive package. We were three people traveling together, having two rooms. We started our vacation with a safari, and coming to Melia straight after that felt like paradise on earth. We were met with drinks and helpful staff when we arrived. We stayed in 1703 and 1306, both great places (first-floor).

The place is about 45 minutes by car from the airport. It seems a bit far away from everything, but for us it was great (I would definitely recommend all-inclusive due to the remoteness of the hotel). We wanted to relax and enjoy the sun. The hotel is beautiful with great rooms. There are beautiful floral decorations everywhere, and the main building of the hotel had a very comfortable smell!

The beach is a bit away from the hotel, but they have golf carts that take you there. Riding the golf cart you also get to talk to the pleasant staff. The beach is by far not the best beach in the world, but it is great for relaxing, tanning and reading a book or five. When the water is low, you can walk quite far out, which was a nice walk. If you want to swim, you have to walk a bit. If swimming is not your priority number one, it is a good place to be. There are no water sports, but for us that was perfect. There were some beach vendors, but the hotel security there kept it to a minimum. After learning some Swahili, we could also answer them quite well and they kept away.

The staff at Melia was extremely helpful and friendly. They always smiled (in a naturally way!) and did their best for us to be satisfied. There were at times some problems understanding some of the staff in the reception, which could cause a bit of hazzle, and the staff at the beach bar messed up some orders etc. The staff arranged Swahili-lessons which we attended, and we got to learn quite a bit. We also practiced with all the staff afterwords, and they all seemed genuinely happy and interested in talking to us.

The power went out every night, some nights more than others. All-in-all we didn't really mind, we were just enjoying our vacation. Also be aware of "African time", things don´t always go as fast as in the western part of the world.

The last day we had a bit of a hazzle checking out, mainly due to language problems. It took us at least one hour, and they did not understand what we said. They said "yes", but they obviously didn´t understand. They would´t let one of us pay (I am still kind of surprised about how we "faught" to pay!) - one of the staff thought we already had paid. They lost papers, and didn´t manage to get the right amount to pay.

Even so, we would definitely go back - we had a great time at a great hotel with awesome staff!
It is a bit like paradise, where you definitely can relax and forget the "outside" world for a while.

Room Tip: We chose rooms with garden view, and it was excellent. Rooms on the first floor has an outdoor showe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Meliá Zanzibar.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights, with their all-in package which is a perfect solution - hassle-free and you still have a wide variety of choice with regards to food & drinks. The airport pick-up was a bit African style (first come first served - only 4 spots in the 4WD) but it turned out well after all.
The location is very good, away from crowds and noise (a 1h drive from the airport on a lovely road). Spectacular views over the Indian Ocean and even though the 'beach' in from of the hotel is not fit for swimming due to the stretch of coral reefs, it just takes a 10 min walk or a 2 min buggy ride to a proper private beach (still located in the domain of the resort) - the coral reefs can however be discovered (with the proper shoes) at low tide, the marine life is plenty. And there is no water sports activities given the ecological protection - which may be boring for some but for me it was a pure bliss not to be constantly disrupted with the irritating noise pollution associated with jet ski & other. Beach vendor hassling is kept to a minimum by the security guards of the hotel. The very long stretch of beach can easily take you on a 1-2h walk.
Given the property is vast it never makes you feel that the hotel is crowded. The gardens are very well maintained and wherever you go there will be flowers. The rooms are spacious and clean and had the standard amenities. The food of the restaurants was excellent.
My '(almost)' are small tweaks: this is Africa so not everything rolls on wheels: expect regular short but daily power cuts (most often in the evening); my room was not provided with any room service menu and it took me 3 calls to get it, the terrace door does not have any handle on the outside so prepare to break some nails in sliding it back open; the staff of the hotel is overall friendly (Reception staff is great - wish all staff could be like them) although some really seem to be unhappy in their job (e.g. the beach bar) and are not very helpful. The hotel should really invest in providing their staff with more training in terms of hospitality, client service oriented mindset and language as it is these small things that make a difference. The hotel souvenir shop is semi deserted and has barely any items (not even postcards). This is a pity given the hotel is pretty remote - it could become a very successful shop if it was properly supplied with the basic tourist items. A thank you to the 2 Spanish front desk gentlemen as they were very friendly and very welcoming.
All in all I did really enjoy my short time there and would definitely recommend the hotel - I plan a new trip for sure next year !

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are on the 1st floor - if you want full peace, best to avoid the main building area gi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
John E, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Zanzibar, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us on your recent holiday in Zanzibar and posted your review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to receive such a fabulous remarks on the infrastructure, as well as catering, services and the attentiveness of staffs.

I would further like to thank you for bringing the adapter issue to my attention and I do apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. I will address the issue with my team in order to avoid future occurrences.

Melia Zanzibar Team is committed to deliver and exceed our guest expectations. This is our main goal and the tool which makes us climb higher and be different in the Island.
Thank you for trusting Melia Zanzibar to be your host, hoping to see you again in the near future

Best Regards

Been to Melia Zanzibar? Share your experiences!