My husband and I stayed 13 night at Ocean Paradise, I was a little worried that we would have too much time on our hands, as most people tag Zanzibar on to the beginning or end of a safari, therefore only staying for a week or less. I couldn't be more wrong, we found plenty to occupy our time, we had a trip out to Stonetown with a guide to show us all the interesting places, although I think we would have enjoyed this more if we had gone on the shuttle bus from the Hotel and found our own way around using the map bought in the hotel shop, the guide was ok, but it felt like we were on a school trip. We saw humpback whales and dolphins whilst out with Safari Blue, which was an excellent trip, the barbeque lunch was good with plenty of food and beer to go round. Jozani Forest trip we felt was expensive for what you got, but hey we were there so had to go and see. On the days spent at the hotel, we still managed to fill the time walking the beach / reef, bicycling riding, and visiting the local village (arranged by the Alex one of the animators at the hotel). We arranged a snorkelling trip to Mnenba Island with Simon, Alex's brother (beach boy), the trip was a lot cheaper than the hotel price, and we had the best snorkelling I have had anywhere, just remember to take some bread rolls to feed the fish, and you will not be disappointed, after the first trip we booked again for another trip with Simon, and again it was wonderful. to get there at the right time for the tide and see the atoll opening up is amazing, the water so blue and clear, we saw blue spot rays, parrot fish, damsel fish, bright red star fish, angel fish, snake eels, moray, and oh so many more.
The hotel was as we had expected for a 4* in Africa, nice and comfortable, with a few area's that needed attention, there was no single problem that came anywhere near spoiling our holiday. the bungalow we had was clean and tidy,the sheets and towels were changed daily, the bathroom could have done with a revamp, with dodgy sealant around the hand wash basin, and staining seeping out of the tiles in the shower area, the toilet roll holder was only just attached to the wall, but it did manage to stay in place for the whole of our visit, so not a problem to us. The wet floor each time we had a shower was a bother, as each time you went to the toilet, you had to wade through the over spray from the shower until the floor had dried. We did take to using a small towel to wipe up the excess, as it was a bit of a nuisance.
The food was much the same as most buffet fare, some good choices, others not so good, we did sometimes find the food was only just warm enough, but the freshly done pasta or noodles on certain nights was good. The cats at hotels are always a problem, but the staff in the restaurant did their best to chase them away, it is the mindless few, who choose to feed them under the table that have a lot to answer to. Would these same people be so accomodating when paying for a meal in a restaurant back in their own country, I think not.
All in all a really nice holiday. Would we return ? probabally not, but only because we have seen everything we wanted to see in Zanzibar. Would we recommend to a friend ? definitly
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on Zanzibar’s picturesque North East coast overlooking the turquoise Indian Ocean, it is as the name suggests a little piece of paradise. From your arrival at Zanzibar Airport, the resort is a meandering 45 minute journey through un-spoilt scenery, passing typical African villages where the way of life has changed little for hundreds of years. At Ocean Paradise Resort Zanzibar, you will be greeted by a blaze of colour as you sweep down the imposing driveway, saluted by a Masai warrior as you pass through the entrance gate and be captivated as you arrive in reception and look out over the resort and the azure blue sea. Mature coconut palms swinging in the breeze, white sandy beach, beautiful landscaped gardens, traditional style round chalets with pitched makuti roof, a stunning waterfall feature and the largest swimming pool in Zanzibar are just some of the sights that await you. A big smile and the greeting of "Jambo" will be the first words you hear, as you begin to feel the warmth that the people of Zanzibar are famed for. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Agoda, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Ocean Paradise Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Paradise Hotel Kiwengwa
- Ocean Paradise Resort Zanzibar
- Ocean Paradise Zanzibar
- Ocean Paradise Resort & Spa Zanzibar/Kiwengwa