“Perfect retreat in Kwengwa” 5 of 5 stars

Mvuvi Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kiwengwa Beach, Kiwengwa, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Perfect retreat in Kwengwa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I spent 1 week there with a friend. The location is magnificent and the service provided by the staff was outstanding. There are some limitations in the excursions you can do but are unrelated to the resort and bound to the development of Zanzibar. If you want a good, low key, great food, great beach resort, thos is the place.
Great!!!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Hungarian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

It was my 3rd stay in Mvuvi after 2007 and 2010. Since then, it only improved, even though it was already very beautiful before.

There is now as well a little pool inside the resort, in case there is low tide and you are too lazy to walk and reach the seawater:-)

Food is still delicious, breakfast basic, but lunch and especially dinner just amazing!

The rooms are beautiful, furnished and decorated with local objects, and including moskito net around the bed, hair dryer, A/C, fan, safe, big bathroom.

Further, the hotel offers laundry service, massages (from locals), WLAN in the restaurant area, a small library and many nice daytrips and excursions which can be booked and paid directly at the hotel.

I have seen several hotels in Kiwengwa from out- and inside, and I dare to say that Mvuvi is the most relaxing and laid back one. The other hotels are simply too big, impersonal and hectic (animation, loud music etc). I consider as well the beach just in front of Mvuvi the as the best part around.

• Stayed November 2012
Chapella
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We came to Mvuvi after visiting wild preserves in tanzania. We experienced a ten days relaxing stay here, good food and all areas really clean. Every day all tables were decorated beautiful to make you feel like sitting in a garden. Helpful and very friendly staff makes a stay in mvuvi relaxing. Beaches in front of the hotel as well deepblue water are very clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at Mvuvi for 3 nights in October 2012. It was relaxing, laid-back, with a beautiful setting and very friendly and helpful staff. I don't speak Italian while most of the guests are from Italy (as with hotels in Kiwengwa generally) but I was made to feel welcome and included and I really liked the small hotel atmosphere.
For me, the food was a highlight. Its not 'traditional Zanzibari cuisine' (whatever that is). Its really great quality and varied Italian food. I loved it.
A solid, quality hotel and good value for Zanzibar. Well recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

We came to Mvuvi on short notice and felt like we landed in heaven. The boutique hotel is quiet, great location (on the sand of a gorgeous and isolated beach), decorated beautifully to make you feel in paradise, the rooms and bathrooms are brand new and luxurious, the restaurant/chef/staff are five star (we felt like we were dining in Italy), and the kindness of Andrea the hotel manager made our experience perfect. We would highly recommend for couples on honeymoon or others looking for a romantic, luxurious and QUIET Zanzibar vacation. Thanks for the hospitality!!

• Stayed October 2012
Harare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had an incredible time at Mvuvi for the start of our honeymoon in Zanzibar! Our rooms were really nice, with flowers on arrival, a carving with our names on it to take away with us. The cleaning lady was very friendly as well!

It has a lovely quiet family atmosphere with only 6 rooms - we far preferred this to the many large commercial hotels in Zanzibar. The food was excellent! Being small eaters we were not able to finish the 4 courses! The waiters and chefs were very friendly and polite whilst the manager was brilliant! It has a private beach section which is awesome if you want a little bit of space to yourselves.

We ate at a few restaurants down the beach but did not find any as nice as Mvuvi! We had an excellent tour to Prison Island which was an absolute highlight!

All in all it was a brilliant stay and we would high recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs so that you get a view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and sent a request of reservation. Apparently, Mvuvi's reply was gone to my Spam folder and I didn't see any reply from them so I've decided to give a call. Carlo in Italy is handling reservation requests. I must say I've never seen such a lovely management, trying to help me in every way. He told me not to worry and that a room was reserved for me, then sent me the payment form, called me back to make sure I've received it. When I said I was going to return the form later as I was too busy he told me to take my time, that there was no rush for payment. However, when I thought Mvuvi's reply was too delayed I had decided not to risk and make a back up reservation in a resort which was my second best option. Apparently I wasn't allowed to cancel that initial reservation therefore I couldn't switch to Mvuvi and I forgot to call Mvuvi back to let them know about this. A few days later, they've called me with a shy voice saying that they hadn't received a payment from me and asked whether there was a problem. When I told I had actually booked elsewhere before Mvuvi and couldn't cancel it and I forgot to inform them, instead of being frustrated for holding my reservation for days they were still so polite and understanding and so shy for having called me. I felt the need to put a comment about this experience as I have been travelling all around the world, I've stayed in many expensive five-star hotels but I've never encountered such genuinely (not for marketing purposes) nice people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiwengwa
Melia Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
Dream of Zanzibar
#1 of 3 in Mahonda
4.5 of 5 stars 897 reviews

Been to Mvuvi Resort? Share your experiences!