“Absolutely perfect!!! Would recommend.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Mvuvi Resort to your Saves list
Mvuvi Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kiwengwa Beach, Kiwengwa, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Kiwengwa
“Absolutely perfect!!! Would recommend.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We came to Mvuvi on short notice and felt like we landed in heaven. The boutique hotel is quiet, great location (on the sand of a gorgeous and isolated beach), decorated beautifully to make you feel in paradise, the rooms and bathrooms are brand new and luxurious, the restaurant/chef/staff are five star (we felt like we were dining in Italy), and the kindness of Andrea the hotel manager made our experience perfect. We would highly recommend for couples on honeymoon or others looking for a romantic, luxurious and QUIET Zanzibar vacation. Thanks for the hospitality!!

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Harare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had an incredible time at Mvuvi for the start of our honeymoon in Zanzibar! Our rooms were really nice, with flowers on arrival, a carving with our names on it to take away with us. The cleaning lady was very friendly as well!

It has a lovely quiet family atmosphere with only 6 rooms - we far preferred this to the many large commercial hotels in Zanzibar. The food was excellent! Being small eaters we were not able to finish the 4 courses! The waiters and chefs were very friendly and polite whilst the manager was brilliant! It has a private beach section which is awesome if you want a little bit of space to yourselves.

We ate at a few restaurants down the beach but did not find any as nice as Mvuvi! We had an excellent tour to Prison Island which was an absolute highlight!

All in all it was a brilliant stay and we would high recommend it!

Room Tip: Choose a room upstairs so that you get a view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews and sent a request of reservation. Apparently, Mvuvi's reply was gone to my Spam folder and I didn't see any reply from them so I've decided to give a call. Carlo in Italy is handling reservation requests. I must say I've never seen such a lovely management, trying to help me in every way. He told me not to worry and that a room was reserved for me, then sent me the payment form, called me back to make sure I've received it. When I said I was going to return the form later as I was too busy he told me to take my time, that there was no rush for payment. However, when I thought Mvuvi's reply was too delayed I had decided not to risk and make a back up reservation in a resort which was my second best option. Apparently I wasn't allowed to cancel that initial reservation therefore I couldn't switch to Mvuvi and I forgot to call Mvuvi back to let them know about this. A few days later, they've called me with a shy voice saying that they hadn't received a payment from me and asked whether there was a problem. When I told I had actually booked elsewhere before Mvuvi and couldn't cancel it and I forgot to inform them, instead of being frustrated for holding my reservation for days they were still so polite and understanding and so shy for having called me. I felt the need to put a comment about this experience as I have been travelling all around the world, I've stayed in many expensive five-star hotels but I've never encountered such genuinely (not for marketing purposes) nice people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
München
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at Mvuvi for our honeymoon. It's the perfect place to relax after a week-long safari.
Very small (6 rooms) but oh so great. Everything is set up with such care and it's individually and lovingly furnished to the last corner (in- and outside). Food is a composition of african and italian cuisine - yum! We didn't have lunch but we really enjoyed tea-time with freshly baked goods and cookies.
We stayed during off-season and almost all of the hotels on Kiwengwa beach were still closed, so it was very quiet and we had the beach to ourselves.
One small dissapointment was the laundry service. We simply expected a faster service. We only got our clothes back, the day we left (which was also the last day of our trip before flying home). If we had known that beforehand we wouldn't have bothered about letting them be cleaned. We could have washed them at home...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The resort was a bit too difficult to find but the moment we were welcomed by Hany we knew this was IT. A guest entering few minutes after us told us this was her 10th!! time she returns to the resort. The place was indeed superb.
Run by an Italian-Egyptian couple, Silvia and Hany, who beyond being very hospitable, keep this 6-rooms resort unspoiled and they seem to be the only ones who manage to do so. They wouldn't compromise with the 'one size fits all' style that has taken over nearly any other resort. The decor is loyal to African style - from the stunning straw roof to the crude, yet stylish, wooden towel holders and shell soap dish.
The Italian cuisine is equipped with local ingredients. You won't find the abundance and luxury found in a 5 stars hotel (we booked one in advance for a couple of nights) but the quality can't be beaten. Nor can Mvuvi's atmosphere. Plates include many pastas with nothing but fresh fish, sea food, fresh tropical fruits. All done with a perfect Italian touch - never too fried or spiced, never sacrificing quality for abundance.
The whole place feels like a summer villa of one big family. A lot thanks to Silvia's and Hany's personal attention to every guest. You don't like any of today's lunch starters? - will tuna carpaccio do? Silvia actually checks out daily during breakfast with everyone about any special requests for lunch/supper/afternoon activity/room comfort. You'll find your way there even if you are a veggie or staying away from sea food.
The tea time continues the same line. Guests gather for tea and cookies while Silvia and Hany small talk with everyone, yet making sure everybody's needs and wills are met. They will organize snorkeling/diving tour on the best time for a fair price (Hany is a dive master who knows very well the sea, its tides, weather changes, underwater sites), advise on anything they know about the Island and just pass the little time off they have with the guests. All in a friendly, not just professionally polite, manner.
Don't expect a pool, its a tiny one. There's a magnificent ocean right there.
I spare the words about the serenity and beauty of the beach and water - check out the photos.
I never came back to the same hotel twice due to chronic curiosity and need for change, Mvuvi Resort will probably be my first deviation from this habit.
A little difficulty the place poses is the inability to pay or book with credit card. The bank transfers, mandatory for booking, not only are annoyingly expensive but also quite complicated, especially if done not from Europe.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bergdietikon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We felt very welcome. Clean, alert service, helpful, wonderful white an blanket beach (innocuous for children!). When Milly (owner) is there, she can help in each situation because she was living there over a long time.
Sometimes the air-condition was falling out but only for a short time. This had to do with the electric-maintenance on the Island. The hotel could tide over this break always after a while with their compressor.
In 1 hour car drive the stone town (main city) is accessible. The hotel can organize a shuttle to the town and back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010 via mobile

I stayed there almost one month and cam suggest it to everyone who looks for a real alternative to the big club hotels in kiwengwa. With only six very charming rooms, you are threated in a very personal way from the staff and hotel manager. the food is delicious (italian and fresh local dishes/seafood) and the terrace restaurant offers nice view over the sea. the hotel is directly at the beach. the rooms offer safe, fan, very spacious bathroom with shower, bed with mosquito net and is furnished with local products. the prices seem to be very affordable.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Mvuvi Resort? Share your experiences!