We stayed here for the last week of our honeymoon in Tanzania and the place is amazing. It was a bit of an indulgence but worth it. From the moment we arrived we were so well looked after by all the staff. Champagne waiting for us and flowers strewn accross our room on arrival and we met Martin our butler for the week. He made our stay really special, so attentive and eager to make sure we were happy and always had everything we needed but without being too intrusive. It took a couple of days to get used to but boy do we miss it now we're home. We could call him at any time and his smily face would be there in a snap to see what we needed.....usually just two more cocktails (try the Dawas....).
We stayed in Safina and our room (villa??) was even better than we'd imagined. Big, comfy bed, huge room, beautiful big deck, bathroom the size of my livingroom at home and then a plunge pool on the roof to top it off. There is all manner of spots to lounge away the day, just ideal for honeymoon - relaxing, private and intimate.
The food was good and plentiful, even too plentiful, we had to ask for bit smaller portions by the end of the week! Martin would bring us a suggested menu before every meal and we could choose from this or change it a bit or ask for anything else we wanted within reason. We ate some great fish and lobster, mango chicken etc a bit more Tanzanian influence would have been nice though. We did do the Tanzanian night in the main restaurant which was really tasty and they also had a BBQ around the main pool and place was all lit up by candle light. Beautiful. Final night we had dinner on the roof of our villa - great food (more lobster!) & champagne under the stars. Perfect.
We had a couple of massages at the spa and lounged around on the beach a bit but mostly we were on our deck or around the rooftop plunge pool. We also did 4 dives with One Ocean - they were great, really professional (better than I'd expected). Dives were all at Mnemba atoll and there were 1000s of fish, including a few I'd never seen before in over 40 dives (a frog fish?!). They even threw in some snorkelling with dolphins between dives. The vis was only about 15m but water was still a bit choppy at the very beginning of the dry season.
All in all, probably the best place we've stayed in and hopefully one day we'll be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Retreat's rooms are extremely spacious and beautifully decorated. A private deck and plunge pool allows for uninterrupted relaxation, with only the palm trees for company. Service at the Retreat is organized in such a way that guests need never leave their room. A private butler caters to every whim and the chef stops by every morning to discuss the meal choices for the day, which are served on the large verandas overlooking the Indian Ocean. Guests are free to wander down to the main lodge, enjoy the delicious cuisine or join fellow patrons for sundowner cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Tingo so you can book your Matemwe Retreat, Zanzibar, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Retreat, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Retreat, Zanzibar, Asilia Africa