I am currently at the Bungalows. I was hesitant to go here, because of the reviews. However, I spoke with someone who went to many locations himself and he told me this is one of the more authentic and nicer places on Zanzibar. If you want "Western comfort" (airco, entertainment team, etc...), don't go here!
I had to look for some of the pictures, especially the non-flattering ones. Those are of the restaurant at the sea-side and indeed it has a paint-job to be fixed. From the inside, all looks more that fine.
The food is indeed subject to some extra attention from some of the original inhabitants (flies mainly), but not disturbing to my opinion. Besides the "Indian Night", we liked the food. And we are picky people regarding food! Recommended is the bbq lunch.
We noticed differences in the type of bungalows (size, shape and positioning), ours was not so close to the edge, so we didn't have issues with salt spray. I have a hard time believing salt sprays though, as the coral pretty much prevents any significant wave to come over it. Perhaps that depends on the period of the year?
Our bungalow was also cleaned every day. The only comment was that matches were not working often, because of moisture. Why don't we have lighters here?
Tracy and Team really try hard to make your holiday an experience not easy to forget. They succeeded in that for us!
- Also Known As:
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel
- Matemwe Main Lodge, Asilia Africa Hotel Matemwe
- Matemwe Bungalows
- Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa Zanzibar
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matemwe Main Lodge has twelve spacious, tastefully decorated and newly refurbished (May 2012) chalets, each featuring large verandas overlooking the Indian Ocean. Matemwe embodies the quintessential beach experience: a relaxing atmosphere, friendly and personable staff, massages, cocktails, swimming pools, lush tropical gardens and sumptuous cuisine – fresh seafood being the specialty. This gem on Zanzibar's main island offers privacy and seclusion and is the perfect destination to simply relax and unwind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Matemwe Lodge, Asilia Africa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.