“No Shoes No News” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matemwe Beach Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matemwe
Matemwe Beach Village
Save Saved
You added Matemwe Beach Village to your Saves list
Matemwe, Tanzania   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Matemwe B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“No Shoes No News”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2014 after a week of safari drives. This place is a home away from home. I stayed in a perfect little bungalow just a few metres from the beach (everything at this hotel is a few metres from the beach) and had the best time. From the time that you arrive to the time that you leave, you are completely relaxed and made to feel so welcome. Each and every staff member has such a happy and positive vibe around them which adds to the ease and relaxation. The bungalow I stayed in was 8 2 comfortable double beds both with mosquito netting, the bathroom was clean and a good size. Each night they turn down your bed and leave a little bed time story for you - which I loved.
The food at the hotel is delicious, I love the breakfasts and the communal dinner they put on around the pool. Free tea and coffee provided through out the day.
Free wifi
I also endulged in some spa services which were reasonably priced. So peaceful to have an hour massage and facial whilst laying on the beach hearing the waves crash.
This is one of my all time favorite places and I am already planning to return

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Launceston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed for three nights at Matemwe Beach and it was just perfect:) We were welcomed warmly and everyone was friendly and helpful. All the food was delicious and served in various locations - in the restaurant, by the pool and in one of the little shelters on the beach itself! We enjoyed just relaxing on the beach, watching beautiful sunrises over the sea, having a massage, walking along the long stretch of sand observing local fishermen and ladies collecting seaweed and a guided "wade" out to the coral at low tide. A very special place indeed.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at Matemwe for four nights. The staff were very pleasant and helpful and the food was good. As it was full moon the low low tides made swimming in the ocean difficult. The pool was small, but allowed you to cool off.
In addition, it was the windy season which made for big waves and difficult snorkelling. However, we did see about 30 dolphins when we went out snorkelling with the dive operator at the resort.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed 2 nights and 3 days here. Booked over the phone with Ali who helped arrange taxi from Stone Town. The entirety of the staff I met were warm and helpful. Munisi made me feel comfortable from the minute I arrived and answered all my questions. Chef Mike does a great job and is fun to chat with as well about life in Matemwe. I wouldn't mind sharing a cold beer with all of them soon! The hour-long body scrub was also fabulous and reasonably priced. The rooms are simple but with attention to detail like fresh flowers on the bed, kangas and hats, and advice on interacting with the locals. The dive shop- different management- was disappointing. My check out dives in Key Largo FL was more interesting than Dive #1. The 2nd dive was better, but I know there were much more interesting sites with less crowds. Others said they were taken there the day before as well, so they were beyond angry.... When I went, there was an equal mix of singles, couples and families. One of the most relaxed places for a solo traveler...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Durbanville, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were 4 families (18 people in total) who stayed at Matemwe beach village recently(28/6/14 - 5/7/14). What a blessing and joy! From the moment we arrived until we left,(with quite a few crying), everything was stunning. The staff and gail and ali were so friendly and the chef Mike was superb! Nothing was ever too much trouble and the excursions they arranged were value for money as well as enlightening of Zanzibar. The value for money is superb and the rooms were clean and spacious. Every night the beds were adorned with different pictures packed with flowers as well as an interesting folklore tale to read. The beach is one long stretch of white sand and clean to swim in. There is a dive centre on the premises which makes this a wonderful place for the adventurous as well as a haven of rest for the lazy! You can play cards or board games, relax next to the pool or walk for kilometres on end. The management also makes sure that you are not bothered on the beach by vendours and they give you a whole set of information on what to to buy, what the best price is, etc. Also on how to dress when in public and how to address the natives of the village. I can definitely recommend this!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking towards the sea.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bunbury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This place is great, the people, food, location and overall vibe. Everyone is very professional and helpful. I did a few dives with One Ocean dive company which was an amazing experience.
My instructor was very thorough, he provided a lot of information on the dive locations, what to expect and all about the marine life we spotted.

Room Tip: Get out and walk around the village to see the flow of life in Matemwe. The locals have a great socc...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Matemwe Beach as part of a month long honeymoon over Christmas 2013. I need to start with the positives: the pool area is good and food overall was very positive. They made a big effort at Christmas and it showed - the dinner spread was great. They also have themed nights which allow guests to mingle a bit more and try new foods. The type of guests this hotel attracts are also a credit to it as to a large extent they made our Christmas - all the guests were on the whole friendly and welcoming which was really good as everyone was away from home for Christmas. The staff in general were again friendly and helpful.
Our problems start with the quality of the accommodation. The rooms were extremely shabby and not comfortable at all, we had problems with ants and bugs continually which meant that the room was continually being patched up and that really sums it up - the fans were ineffective, the windows let in only a small amount of light and the room was very very run down. (ants arent in themselves a problem, its the tropics and to be expected but there were just bugs everywhere which got in the bed repeatedly) After discussing it with many guests we all agreed the room quality was poor (other than the Shamba Suites which are significantly better) however most guests were willing to overlook it due to only staying a few nights, we were booked in a week and looked to move but struggled with it being Christmas.
The second issue was really down to how complaints were dealt with - the owner was away so it was left to her managers. To start with it was very difficult to work out who was who - as in who to approach. The serving staff were all fine and friendly - anyone above that were on the whole obstinate and rude to the point of passive aggressiveness. A group would sit by the office and be particularly unhelpful or engaging on any requests even for beach towels let alone complaints.
There was a South African chef who seemed to have the role of liaising between the group of men and the customers - he was very good and responsible for the quality of the food as well but his involvement was at the 11th hour and it wasn't clear that maybe he should have been the first point of contact for any issues.
We felt that at this price point the customer service and quality of the accommodation should have been better. Friends stayed at Matemwe 7yrs ago and the rooms on the front look identical to the condition then - they need to invest in order to remain at the position they seem themselves in an ever increasingly competitive market. In my opinion it currently does not represent value for money.
From tripadvisor you can see many people going and having a positive experience - if you are going chose your level of accommodation carefully and go for the Shamba Suite!
I did complain when I got back to the tour operator and received a very stern email response from the owner telling me the facts of issues that were incorrect (she wasn't even there at the time) I'm sure i will probably get another similar response to this post.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
givemeanisland, General Manager at Matemwe Beach Village, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
We thank this guest for his many positive remarks. It is true that on his return he approached his tour operator seeking a refund on the basis of his complaints as outlined in this review. The operator in question sends us 100s of bookings a year and both they and us take any complaints very seriously indeed. However, on a careful review of the complaints with reference to other guest feedback and the staff involved we did not feel that a refund was warranted. I can go through each and every complaint and I am happy to discuss any concerns a potential guest may have as a result of this review. However, I think the fact that yesterday we were awarded the TripAdvisor certificate of excellence yet again speaks louder than I can.
Gail Arnesen

Been to Matemwe Beach Village? Share your experiences!