“Affordable Luxury and Quality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Matemwe Beach Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Matemwe
Matemwe Beach Village
You added Matemwe Beach Village to your Saves list
Matemwe, Tanzania   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Matemwe B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, uk
“Affordable Luxury and Quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

After completing a safari in the Northern Tanzania parks, I landed in zanzibar to be greeted by Matemwe Beach Village. I spent 4 wonderful days here and must share my faultless experience.
Firstly, I was greeted by polite and informative management staff all of whom (I am pleased to say) were Tanzania. I was give a refreshing cold juice and cold towel on arrival and a run down of the hotel.
we then were introduced to our room which was an artictechal splendour, clean and well thoughout. All amenities provided, and an amazing raindrop shower with organic soaps provided.

The hotel is on this huge expanse of white palm fringed beach and resembles a wild wilderness. the beach isnt cluttered with other tourists which is ideal for that deserted get away. If the beach isnt for everyone, then the pool/ bar area is so beautiful. Very complimentary to the organic surroundings, and there are plenty of chill out sofas to laze on under the shade.

there are plenty of things to do, such as scuba dive with one Ocean dive centre which is nestled in the hotel, sailing trips, library available, internet and wifi all around of the highest quality to keep in touch with folks back home.

The food is of the highest quality, i was so impressed and they also cater for dietary requirements. The ambiance of the restaurant is gorgeous, with candle light provided and high quality table service. Again, all the staff I found to be so polite and attentive.

Really, this is affordable luxury and a ''must stay'' after safari for some rest and relaxation. I would highly recommend it, and would certainly come and stay again in a flash!

Room Tip: Choose the suits....incredibly beautiful
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights of our honeymoon, and we loved it! This part of Zanzibar is quieter and more low-key, allowing you to really disconnect. We were not hassled by touts at all. The staff was incredibly friendly, helpful and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. The resort itself is a perfect combination between low-key beach environment while still having comforts from home (flush toilets, hot water, electricity, fans, mosquito netting, etc.). The food was great and we loved the "communal dinners" in the Massai Boma every other night. They also provide options for things to do in the area - reef walk, bike rentals, snorkelling/ scuba diving, spa, village tour, etc. We stayed for 3 nights which we thought was perfect (we may have been bored had we stayed a full week). We would highly recommend Matemwe Beach Village Resort - but would note that it was primarily couples and families (at least when we were there). The only downside is that its difficult to swim in the ocean along this entire stretch of beach due to the significant tides and large number of sea urchins (but the pools are great!)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an oceanview.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Grankulla, Southern Finland, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

First off: one (unanticipated) night in Stone Town was unavoidable due to being bumped by our Ethiopian Airways flight from Addis THAT WAS CONFIRMED AND RECONFIRMED DURING A THREE HOUR VISIT TO ET OFFICE AT HILTON IN ADDIS FOR JUST THIS PURPOSE. Shame on ET.
Dhow Palace hotel (checking in at 3 a.m. and staying until 11 a.m.) was a pleasure.

Matemwe Beach lies about an hour from Stone Town. Its entrance, through the village of Matemwe, is a bit disconcerting. However, the closeness of the village, the gentle presence of a herd of calves grazing around our bungalow, was quite affecting. We also saw village women periodically, collecting wood, around the hotel.

We stayed in one of the newer bungalows (#14 & 15, 16 & 17, all new but a bit far from the beach and public rooms; very hot during the day.) The rest of our party stayed in the older bungalows, (# 3 & 4). These were both dark, small, and had seen better days. In fact, all of the facilities at Matemwe need some serious attention and renewing if it markets itself as a real 4* hotel. The fabric on the aging mattresses in the public rooms need to be replaced; there are not enough beach lounges for the number of guests; the table decorations need attention; the beach shoes supplied for the low tide beach walk were terrible. Our other family members felt that they would have needed A/C. I think better fans OVER ALL BEDS would have sufficed.
The food was mostly very tasty. The staff very amenable. Sadly, one in our party noticed when we arrived at our next destination (Serengeti) that he had had money stolen from his room. Guests are warned about the fact that the hotel has no safe (so as not to attract thieves) and that we are on our own but I think this is an inadequate solution.
Finally: I may be missing something but none of the reviews about Matemwe has mentioned the fact that YOU CAN'T SWIM IN THE SEA. We were truly disappointed with this state of affairs. Is it common on the north shore???? The high and low tides differ by 500 m. OK. But the seaweed production (carried out using stakes all along the beach, invisible during high tide) and the sea urchin population (ditto, invisible) make any swimming impossible. This is a huge drawback for me and left me feeling very HO-HUM about Zanzibar. The feeling was lifted somewhat when we took an excellent tour of a spice farm.
Beware if you think you can swim in the Alluring Indian Ocean at Matemwe. You can't. The two very small pools will have to suffice.
Finally: the beach walking tour is VERY HOT, VERY LONG, & I wonder if it doesn't wreck a lot of damage on the ecosystem? Family went snorkeling and scuba diving, feeling that their experience in Djibouti was far superior in terms of quality of marine life...

Room Tip: Newer bungalows Spoke to honeymooners from Sun City who liked the biggest bungalow (forget its name...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bavaria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

There are lots of positives about the Beach Village. Firstly, the staff are friendly and do their very best to ensure people have a pleasant stay. Different activities can be organised through reception including a reef walk, visit to the local village and diving/ snorkelling through the onsite dive centre. Te grounds are well kept and bungalows are within easy reach of the beach. As mentioned in other reviews it is not easy to swim at the beach although you could snorkel at high tide. Most visitors (including us) tend to use the swimming pool which is a super area to relax. The bungalows are nice but ours was in need of some basic maintenance. The room had a fan but this is completely ineffective as it does not flow through the mosquito net. Very few rooms have air conditioning and in my opinion I would expect air con due to the high price of rooms and considering there are other good options just down the beach that offer this. Overall the food is good and is different enough each evening to maintain interest. Breakfast has variety and you can choose from homemade muesli (excellent) to bacon/ eggs on a scone etc. I would have given a slightly higher rating but I simply do not believe that the Village Resort offers value for money in comprison with other options.

• Stayed December 2013
Ghent, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were happily surprised with our unexpected upgrade from standard to suitehouse. Thank you manager Ali. Also a thank you to the staff that was friendly and served us very nice food.Snorkeling at the Mnemba atol was unbelievably beautifull and we were thankfull for the protecting wetsuits from One Ocean dive and snorkeling team.( stinging jellyfish)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have travelled to many different places in my life and personally I enjoy the secluded small resorts more than the big hotels.
Matemwe Beach Village is my favorite resort in Zanzibar!
It’s such a beautiful resort with amazing service and great food!

I have visited the resort twice and have stayed in one of the suites and also one of the standard double rooms. Surely the suites were amazing and way nicer than the standard double room but both rooms have the same charm and makes you feel right at home.

The Pool are is so beautiful with the most colorful beach bar where you will be served delicious lunch everyday by a smiling waiter.
I have eaten in the two different restaurants, beach bar and also on my last day I was surprised with a very romantic and nicely prepared dinner at the beach together with my colleague.
This was such a nice gesture and I really appreciated it! The food is great at this resort, no matter when and where you eat.

I love the ¨no shoes, no news¨ rule you have and I have never experienced a better turn down service in the evening than the one I experienced at your resort.
Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Very nice, spacious beachside hotel, perfect for relaxing and hanging out. The hotel is eco-friendly and designed with a minimalist style. Most things are locally sourced, the hotel takes a lot of pride in this and and really seems to invest in positive ways for the community. Rooms are comfortable and with nice little touches and there is a lovely porch with nice reading nooks. Food was tasty and well prepared, the highlight was an outdoor curry night with tiki lights. The hotel and space was absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained, but I'd say a wee bit pricey given minimalist design and competition. That said however, it's a lovely selection and would certainly recommend.

Stayed January 2013

Been to Matemwe Beach Village? Share your experiences!