We were overall very satisfied with our stay at Green and Blue. We spent five days here and loved every one of them.
We have divided our review into two sections, one about the hotel and one about Zanzibar in general.
+ Great swimming pool area (3 pools, also own spa)
+ Beautiful garden
+ Good sized private bungalows with balcony
+ Great service (best we ever had!)
+ Good restaurant with fair prices (don't worry, menu changes every day)
- Not a private beach (many locals use it)
Overall it is the best hotel we have stayed at. It offers a superb combination of fantastic scenery, great area to relax in and impeccable service. It is a small resort so you get a "personal touch", but it still offers privacy (it is not like you have to eat dinner with all the other guests if you don't want to),
Just a few other things to be aware of (we didn't consider these to be any issue, but it might be good to know):
* There is very little going on in walking distance from the resort, i.e. be prepared to spend the majority of your time at the resort. There are, however, ample opportunities to go on trips (diving, spice tours, Stone town etc.)
* The resort is located practically inside the local village. Not that you notice it in any way (high walls around).
* There are no signs of any kind showing the way to the resort. If you arrange your own transport, you will probably need to have a local guide you to it.
Zanzibar in general
Just a few notes about Zanzibar in general as a travel location.
* The beaches are pristine, but the water is full of seaweed and shallow. It is, in our opinion, not a the best choice for a "beach lover" as you'll find more beautiful beaches other places
* Don't expect ample shopping opportunities. Shopping will be mainly limited to local arts and crafts
* We found Stone town to be a bit overrated. It is not especially beautiful (was maybe 100 years ago) and it is a bit dull. We spent one day and that was plenty.
* TIA - This Is Africa. Expect poor roads, daily power outage and that everything moves in Africa time (but that's the charm)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ocean Lodge GREEN AND BLUE in the northeast of the spice island ofZanzibar is placed so that your gaze wanders over the turquoise waterof the vast bay and rests on the small island of Mnemba. Characterisedby its lush, tropical garden, the Ocean Lodge nestles right on theIndian Ocean, separated from it by a powder-fine, sandy white beach.The lodge forms part of a typical local fishing village. This may appear very simple and basic to our “civilised” eye. Tourists can expect scenes they won’t see anywhere else. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Green and Blue Ocean Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Green And Blue Ocean Lodge Matemwe, Zanzibar