“A perfect family holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azanzi Beach Hotel

You added Azanzi Beach Hotel to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   Azanzi Beach, Matemwe, Tanzania   |
Somerset West, South Africa
“A perfect family holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We just returned from Zanzibar after a wonderful week at Ananzi where we were treated like both royalty and family. This was the perfect getaway for my husband and I and our two young adult children as it provided enough together time and apart time, enough to do as a couple, for the children to do on their own with other young guests and for the four of us as a family.
We loved the intimate atmosphere of the hotel where we soon wondered around barefoot as if it was our own home (just with better food, thanks to the chef, who cooked some of the best food we ever had in Africa outside of South Africa. That Swahili meal was superb, not typical hotel food at all, but tasted as if it was prepared specially for you with love) The setting of the hotel is lovely, right on a wide white beach, and the diving center with a fun and skilled team on the premises, was very convenient. Bedrooms as well as the bathrooms are large and spacious, and comfortable. But the best is the staff, whose attitude is outstanding. When I e.g admired the way the vegetables was cooked, I was invited into the kitchen where the chef himself demonstrated the recipe to me. If you want to spend time in a hotel that is really relaxed and laid back, without nightly entertainment and loud music, and get into the slow and gentle rhythm of the island, you cannot get better than Ananzi. We strongly recommend it. Thanks for taking such good care of us!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GM A, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Mrs. Nortje

Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. We are proud to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests. It was a great pleasure to have guests enjoying their time at Azanzi Beach Hotel and I am happy that you and the entire family felt welcome and cared for.
I am so glad that you chose to make memories at Azanzi Beach Hotel and thank you sincerely for your compliments, which I will gladly pass on to my team.

Azanzi Beach Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Greek first
Polokwane, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We arrived from Or Tambo on Mango. What a trip... We were met by Dewald an booked in promptly. This was our second holiday at Azanzi. This was the best holiday ever. We met some fellow South Africans from the Cape and it was one party after the other. The chef needs to be congratulated as the food were the best we have ever experienced. The staff were so helpfull and friendly. Your glass were never empty, ask my wife Karen,the ladies enjoyed their nights, sometimes up to 03;00 in the mornings. The crayfish night , something to experience....ohh we miss you guys already. Well done to the staff and Dewald.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Glen F, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Charles and Karen

Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. We proud to receive such positive feedback from our valued guests. It was a great pleasure to have returning guests enjoying their time at Azanzi Beach Hotel and especially that you enjoyed it more the second time around.
I am so glad that you chose to make memories at Azanzi again and thank you sincerely for your compliments, which I will gladly pass on to my team.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just experienced the most interesting and exhilarating reef tour by our super guide Haji Abbas. He was able to spot and explain many amazing sea creatures, coral and plant species. He was patient, informative and knowledgable. I would gladly recommend him. Tharashini Moodley, Durban, South Africa.

Room Tip: Superior suites were large, spacious and very comfortable
Dear Guest

The reef tour is one of the highlights that is on offering at Azanzi and I am so glad that you pointed this out to other readers on our behalf. I hope that the rest of your island holiday was a memorable one.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

After a wonderful 5 night stay I can highly recommend this lovely relaxing hotel. After a busy week on safari in Tanzania this place was just what we needed. We arrive to a refreshing welcome drink before being shown to our room by the amazing staff, who were so helpful an friendly throughout our stay. Our room was absolutely beautiful with an outside shower and Jacuzzi. The food options were brilliant with the lunches being our personal highlight, especially their club sandwich. The beach and the coastline in general are both stunning and the beach boys do not annoy unlike in Some places I have travelled. All in all an amazing stay which we thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Glen F, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Guest

I am so glad that your island holiday was a memorable one and thank you sincerely for your compliments, which I will gladly pass on to my team.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

We had our first holiday away at Azanzi beach resort we loved every minute of it, the staff are always willing to help and make your stay memorable.
The room was amazing overlooking the resort pool. we loved the outside shower .
Some days we were the only people at the resort so we got to pick what we would like to eat . this included seafood platters. we were also given a private dinner on the beach.

We thank all the staff for making I a memorable holiday

Room Tip: Rooms close to the pool and beach
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Glen F, General Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2014

Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Flight Centre sold us a "5 star Luxury Boutique hotel" with "A 5-star quality dining experience"

Azanzi is far from this.

All taps rusty
Lounger mattress ripped and decrepit
On 6th request our door was fixed. Locked in and out each time
Salt water shower
Food mediocre
No snacks
Terrible loud music all day
Slow service
Hot tub not hot and salt water
Out side room light not working
Every one had issues with their rooms
pool Towels old and tattered
Broken toilet
Broken general toilet by bar
Cock roaches

The pool is completely under cover and all water is salt water so NO FRESH WATER

After a long complaint process with flight centre the hotel offered us a R950 ($88usd) refund, this is even after we paid to upgrade our room with an upgrade fee of R1670 ($155usd)

We are well travelled and we have never had such a difference in what we were sold and what was delivered.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Glen F, Manager at Azanzi Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear sir/madam

Thank you very much for your posting on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and use this to continuously rectify and improve our product.

I can assure you that a number of the issues mentioned were already in the process of being resolved during your stay. To address the balance, we were closed for three weeks in April for a general maintenance upgrade. Upon our re-opening, we showcase a much improved Azanzi experience with a fresh feel and a new invigorated staff compliment.

Our marketing and sales team is also ensuring that the agencies that sell Azanzi are aware of all details regarding our offering.

I realize that my reply is probably small consolation to you after the fact, but would like to invite you to contact the office of our Managing Director with a view to revisit us sometime in the future. Please speak to Samantha Shuttleworth, the Johannesburg office manager, on + 27 87 740 9261 or samantha@ahagroup.co.za

Kind regards
Boksburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from the most amazing week at Azanzi Beach Hotel. Our room was stunning and in immaculate condition. Loved the outside shower!! The resort itself is beautiful, clean, well maintained and has stunning seaviews from the bar and dining areas. Waiters were friendly, helpful and acommodating. Especially Jackson, Angelique and Peter. I was given an amazing Birthday treat with a romantic dinner served outside under a beauganvillia filled gazebo with candles and a Birthday cake from management. The manager Glen and his assistant Antionette were extrememly acommodating when it came to arranging excursions for us.I am a photographer and they asked Ali who is an outstanding guide to accompany us on our tour to Stone Town. He knew exactly where to take me in Stone Town and helped me to communicate with the locals. Snorkeling directly outside the holtel was amazing and we saw so many fish. The only bad part was having to leave this little piece of heaven and go back to the real world. We will most definitely be going back!Thank you to all the staff and management of Azanzi for our very special stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Azanzi Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!