“Authentic Zanzibar at Langi Langi beach bungalows.” 5 of 5 stars

Nungwi, Tanzania   |
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Nungwi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cape Town
“Authentic Zanzibar at Langi Langi beach bungalows.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Arriving at Langi Langi you know you are in for an authentic Zanzibari experience. It is tucked behind the village of Nugwi on the northern province of the island. The location ensures a truly local vacation.

It is set in easy walking distance of many hotels, bungalows and dive centers as well as Cholos, a great beach bar frequented by locals and tourists alike (beware of their blue cocktails!).

Langi Langi is owned and run by Rasta, a Zanzibarian with a passion for local cuisine. The food at Langi is amazing! Their menu is fresh and typical of the region with rich coconut curries and firey pilli pilli dishes. Their red beans and spinach starter is to DIE for!

The rooms are large, well furnished and kept very clean. The huge four poster bed in our room was amazingly comfortable. They supply you with two bottles of drinking water a day and more can be purchased in town or from their restaurant.

Their staff are friendly and helpful and always armed with a smile. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The sea room views should be a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The rooms are large and clean . Hot showers. Comfy beds. Fantastic food and unbelievable service. Friends or ours were to stay at another hotel thru hotels.com. The taxi driver and hotel staff and locals never heard of there hotel it was non existant. The mAnger of langi langi heard us talking about tthe mother daughter predicament and offer them a room for free for the night until they could sort there accommodations out for another hotel as our hotel was fully booked up. I would absolutely stay here again without a doubt

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

My 2 friends and I stayed at Langi Langi for 5 nights during our Easter holiday. It was fantastic! Great, central location in the village of Nungwi. The pool is one of the nicest I've swam in and I enjoyed the fact that it was more private than the pools of the neighboring hotels. It's tucked into a lush courtyard and really only visible / accessible to guests.

As we were 3 single ladies sharing a room, unfortunately the additional bed wasn't as comfy as the two permanent beds in the room (but that's to be expected). Our first 4 nights we were in a triple garden-facing room. But, we were having such a lovely time that we extended for a day and *had* to upgrade to an ocean-view room on our last night. Sigh. It was amazing! I highly recommend the extra cost. Larger, brighter, much nicer bathroom (in our first room whenever someone showered, there was a flood on the floor and, for some strange reason, whenever got a bath mat in that room, so we ended up soaking up the mess w a beach towel), and a stunning view.

Langi Langi also has super comfy lounge chairs (both by the pool and on the deck which, at high tide, extends directly over the ocean). There was never. A shortage of lounge chairs and, on most days, I claimed two--one in the sun and one in the shade of the nice thatched roof shade umbrellas. Also, Langi Langi has easy access to the beach w a stairway leading directly down from the restaurant area.

The vibe of the whole place was exactly what I would hope for from a beach hotel. Very friendly staff (Sele was very helpful), cool decor, well-appointed rooms w traditional Zanzibarian furniture. And the food was some of the best we ate in Nungwi. I lived. On their iced tea and we each had the prawn curry at least twice. Also, the included breakfast was great offering a choice of main (eggs, omlettes, pancakes, and a daily special) in addition to the typical spread of fresh fruit, baked goods, and stuff in warming dishes (beans, potatoes, veggies, etc).

Only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because of the bathroom issue in our first room. If I make it to Zanzibar again, I will definitely stay at Langi Langi. Only, next time I'll have the sea view room for my entire stay. Thanks so much for a great holiday!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed in langi langi for 9 nights. The staff in reception are very welcoming and helpful. I was in a room overlooking the pool. It was very nice, big bed with mosquito net, air con, big bathroom with an excellent shower.
The pool is nice, very clean with plenty of sun loungers.
Langi langi right on the beach which is great. It feels like a very safe and secure environment which as a solo traveller for the last few days of my stay was important to me.

I really enjoyed my stay here apart from 2 things.
In the reviews I read people were raving about the food. Maybe I was unlucky but I didnt manage to order anything that good while I was there.
The breakfast is good and plentiful but anything I ordered from the lunch or dinner menu was just OK.
Also i found the staff in the restaurant quite rude sometimes. At one point one of the waiters practically threw my food at me.
Its only the restaurant staff though, everyone else is perfectly lovely.

I would go back to langi langi. I looked in some other hotels along the beach and the rooms in langi are much better than any I saw.
Also chidi - I think the manager - is super helpful and a really nice guy.
In terms of food though i probably would choose to eat in other places along the beach of which there are many.

• Stayed March 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After one and half hour drive from the airport, through bumping road in the village we arrived most beautiful place for a vacation. It has lovely beach and blue waters. The restaurants are cosy and with perfect cuisine. The name is of the resort describes it very well Langi langi (flower)
Our experience was wonderful. Nice room and cosy the management team is flexible, the staff went out of their way to make sure we enjoy our stay including the home food they prepare to us. One of the best trips we have ever had.
I would highly recommend Langilangi beach bungalow, it's perfect for romantic getaways. It's paradise!

Room Tip: all rooms are nice, i had a chance to look one of the garden room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland Neck, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

After our climbing kilimanjaro my husband and I stayed in this beautiful hotel, our room facing the sea, it was absolutely perfect, life experience! We had a fantastic 5 days with with a perfect view of sun set, that all we needed. The room was big enough with allot of space, behind our room from view top a beautiful colorful garden and very green. There is also a pool sorrounded buy colorful flowers. The food in the terrace restaurants menu was big and good - something for everybody, allot of choice. we love the menu it has full of love to every page

The manager always talking to clients arround trying to improve his family business and proud of his efforts to train his local staff, sometimes the food service can be a bit slow compare to Europian standards but who care we are in Zanzibar and Africa. To us we had perfect service & and i can say super friendly staff
We will recommend it to anyone that wishes to have a true relaxing holiday

Room Tip: we had sea view room, we like it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ringkøbing, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Excellent location, built-out sundeck and restaurant overlooking a most beautiful beach with white sands and visible coral reef at low tide. At high tide you will practically find yourself on top of the water. Very friendly staff and an overall laid-back atmosphere. You will definitely be able to feel relaxed here.

Room Tip: Do not miss the beautiful views of the beach from your room. Always choose a suite facing the sea. R...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Langi Langi Beach Bungalows? Share your experiences!