We decided to take a mini break over a long weekend, and chose a destination not yet travelled. Our decision was good in that we visited a small piece of paradise, and not good in that we only had 2 days in this amazing resort.
Our trip to the destination was a harrowing event, but is not part of this review. We arrived late (20h30) and where greeted by a friendly reception staff who where well aware of our arrival. They whisked us to the relaxing and inviting lobby lounge and we had our welcome cocktails and an efficient and speedy check-in ensued. The ins & outs explained in under 15 minutes and we where shuttled to our room by golf cart. Being tired, we decided to eat and get to sleep for an early start.
Wow!! We woke to an amazing vista and started our exploration of paradise!
Restaurants/Food: We stayed on an all-inclusive package, and the food selection & variety was more than we could have hoped for. In some instances, the resort used tinned products, but this was understandable given to remote location of the resort. The main inclusive restaurant was roomy and well appointed. The staff attentive, and friendly. Some language barrier troubles, but a quick point to a menu and everything was resolved.
Room: We stayed in a suite, with a massive king size or 2 x 3/4 beds and a lounge dining area with kitchenette. The room was well equipped and appointed beautifully. We stayed on level 3, which allowed the best sea views. The lower you get, the less sea view and more garden view you get. All the rooms have massive balconies, that are grassed, as the have stepped the rooms in a terrace style layout. Our only complaint about this beautiful resort, was the shower. The shower head had clogged, and was not working. No bath meant that this was all we had. We did bring it too their attention, and I am certain it would have been resolved.
Facilities: This resort caters for everything one would want from a island resort holiday. We spent our days lazing on the beach and alternating between sea swimming and pool swimming. The days where quite and lazy, and the nights calm and rested. I would imagine that teenagers/kids may get slightly bored at night, with limited planned activities for them.
General: We would return to this resort in a heartbeat. Unfortunately getting there is not easy and we experienced the true African challenges of missed flights, officialdom, lack of customer service etc. If a direct flight opened to Zanzibar from Johannesburg, I would not hesitate to go again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set within exotic tropical gardens and water features inviting guests to enjoy the pristine view over the Indian Ocean, Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est is located on the north-western shores of the magical spice island of Zanzibar. This enchanting, luxurious and environmentally friendly resort is famous for its magnificent beach and large wharf built onto the open waters of the Indian Ocean and stretches out towards the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Splendia, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell` Est Hotel Zanzibar
- La Gemma Dell Est Zanzibar
- Gemma Del Est
- Diamonds La Gemma Dell' Est Zanzibar/Nungwi