We liked our stay here. Stayed for a weekend in January in what we thought was one of the self-contained apartments. We were told the apartment had 2 bedrooms (5 people). The main entrance was direct into the lounge/sitting room which had our 2 bedrooms coming off it but also 2 other doors. I asked where did those doors lead - to the other guest rooms was the reply. So the apartment wasn't really exclusive for just us - it was more like shared accommodation. I stated I really wasn't happy with this arrangement and told them had I been aware of this I would have stayed elsewhere. I asked for a key to lock the entrance to the lounge / sitting room (which was the only way of getting to our rooms) but was told there wasn't enough keys for us as well as the other guests sharing the cottage and as such we would have to leave the main entrance unlocked. I then had a look in the other rooms, they were unlocked and had no-one staying in them! I went to the desk to enquire when the other guests would be coming. Was then told that actually no other guest were coming for the next few days - so don't know why they didn't tell me that to start with . All very odd. It took 4-6 hours and 3 requests to get a third bed into one of our rooms - despite it being booked as such. They do have a nice pool and a great view over the ocean. Food at the restaurant isn't great, average at best (breakfast and dinner is included). We ate dinner elsewhere. It is situated in the quieter part of Nungwi and personally think it is a much nicer part of Nungwi. The main tourist area is like a zoo. If you like Ibiza you will probably love it but the walk we took down there along the beach was more than enough for me. Mnarani is run by locals as many other places are but a lot are also run by Europeans from afar - we prefer the local experience that benefits the locals a bit more. Overall we though the place was pretty good, just a few glitches that could have been avoided and handled better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mnarani Beach Cottages is a beach resort hotel, located on the northernmost tip of Zanzibar Island in the village of Nungwi, next to the old lighthouse.Mnarani has been independently recommended by The Lonely Planet Guide, The Bradt Guide to Zanzibar and many other East African travel guidebooks. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Mnarani Beach Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mnarani Beach Cottages Hotel Nungwi
- Mnarani Beach Hotel
- Mnarani Beach Resort
- Mnarani Beach Cottages Zanzibar/Nungwi