“Paradise on the East African coast” 5 of 5 stars

Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Nungwi Road, Nungwi, Tanzania   |
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Surrey, UK
“Paradise on the East African coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at the Hideaway for 12 nights from the 3rd July for our honeymoon.

From the moment you walk into reception you know you're stay is going to be nothing short of perfect! It's lovely to arrive and be able to see the beautiful sea view from the reception as it really set's off the mood for your stay!

Check in wasn't super fast and our room wasn't quite ready (but we had arrived in the morning so it could be expected) but we weren't exactly in a rush now that we'd arrived and were more than ready to relax! After check in you (and your luggage) are taken to your room in a golf buggy by one the friendly staff. He led us into our room which was a Junior Luxury Suite with a sea view and balcony and showed us around. The room was AMAZING! Very spacious with a huge bathroom, beautifuly decorated with italian marble and tiles, the bedroom had a huge four poster bed with a very pretty white mosquito net draped around it, we had a sofa with a coffee table, a dressing table and a large TV. The balcony went the length of the room and had two sun loungers/chairs and a beautiful view of the sea.

Not only are the rooms beautiful but the gardens are absolutly stunning and if you stay here you really should take the time to walk around and take a closer look at all the flowers and plants, they really have gone to so much effort to make it look so pretty. We also spotted plenty of little lizards and a huge one which hid for the rest of the holiday(!) and even a tree crab as well as butterflies.

One of the best things about this hotel is the food. If you are all inclusive the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner is outstanding, the choice is huge. I'm sure they bake all the pastries and bread fresh everyday and it is amazing, I have to say I seriously overloaded on carbs during my stay!! The little desserts they have every lunch and dinner are also truely scrumptious (thank god they were only small!!) There is also the option of fresh pizzas and pastas made to order. There are also two restaurants, Canivorous and More and Ishi-teppenyaki which aren't included in the all-inclusive but are good value at $35 per person for 3 courses. We only dined in Carnivorous and More and the food, as with the buffet was outstanding, I had Ostrich steak and my husband had Springbok!

If you are a honeymooner, one of the fabulous perks is a romantic meal on the beach. We were lucky enough to be the only couple who booked that night so we had it all to ourselves, which made it all the more special. Again, the food was fantastic and the setting was very romantic.

The facilities at the hotel are great, there is a beautiful spa area with an outdoor spa pool (which no-one seems to use!!) and it's a lovely quiet escape. There's a sun set bar (the cocktails are great!) This is also where they have the evening entertainment such as African dance, acrobats, Masaii show etc, all were great and not to be missed. They also have a library (great if you finish your book before it's time to go home!) a tour guide and an internet cafe.

The pool at the hotel is lovely, it's an infinity pool so it has great views of the ocean. The only downside with the pool was when we had a large group arrive with their very young children, so it became very noisy but this was when we disappeared to the beach in front of the hotel, which is beautiful and the sea is a lovely warm temperature!

There are various acitivites on offer at the hotel, diving on Pemba island, snorkelling, jet ski hire, kayak hire, windsurfing etc etc.

I would say our highlights from our stay were being able to see the stunning African sunset from our balcony or the sun set bar EVERY night! The food, the romantic meal on the beach, the friendly and helpful staff and the decor and size of the rooms. Also, the stunning gardens! Everything really!!

Room Tip: The Junior Luxury Suites are stunning and more then ample for a couple, just make sure you book a SE...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Samantha B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear KirstSurrey_UK, we are so thrilled to hear of how much you enjoyed your honeymoon. The honeymoon dinners on the beach are indeed very special and we are happy to have provided you with an experience to remember. You shall have to return for your first anniversary! With kind regards, Samantha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stunning location. It is the only hotel I have been to where the views are stunning from anywhere. Very clean hotel. Just opened in April. The food was good but unfortunately the service was very poor. The staff are very friendly but there aren't enough of them.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jane M, we thank you for commenting on the views which we too find mesmorising. Your feedback is always welcome and we assure you that we are always working to improve upon both our product and service. When will you be back to visit again? With kind regards, Samantha
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed at the Hideaway of Nungwi in early July for just 2 nights (I was in Tanzania for business, and my work partner and I only had the weekend free), and I wish I had been able to move in permanently! The other reviewers on here have already gushed about how breathtaking the property is, the beautiful rooms, the amazing view, delicious food, etc so I won't go into detail. Instead, let me tell you a few things that really stood out to me:

1. Going above and beyond to meet a guest's needs - the evening we arrived, we didn't get to the resort until 10pm because our flight had been very delayed. When we checked in, the gentleman who checked us in told us about the meal times and that dinner was finished at 10pm. When we told him that we hadn't eaten dinner yet because of our travel delays, he immediately got on the phone and told them to hold dinner so that we could eat. We were whisked in a golf cart down to the lawn by the water, where the entire massive buffet was still set up... and all of the employees stayed at their stations until we had finished eating! We couldn't believe it. If they were frustrated that they had to work a bit later to accommodate us, no-one showed it. Everyone was kind and helpful and smiling, which made the delicious meal with an amazing view even better.

2. Again, concern for a guest's well-being - for our last day, my co-worker and I had booked a tour on our own with a company that would pick us up at the Hideaway and also take us straight to the airport at the end of the day. After we checked out, we waited in the lobby for a while and it turns out there was a miscommunication with the tour company that caused a delay. Everything worked out fine, but we were a bit late in getting underway and there was some initial frustration. When we got back to work on the mainland, I discovered that Samantha from Nungwi had emailed us to make sure everything had turned out ok for us. Any other property would have just seen us off and gone about their business, especially since they hadn't even booked the tour for us... but Samantha's care and follow-up was a huge step above and was much appreciated.

3. The spa - I splurged on one of the spa's "ritual" treatments, and it was amazing. Two hours of body scrub, mud wrap, and massage for about half the cost of what it would be in my hometwon. And my masseuse (can't remember her name) was fantastic, I came to her full of knots and left there relaxed and smooth-skinned.

If only Hideaway of Nungwi weren't so far away, I'd be back there again in a heartbeat. Hopefully I'll be able to go again with my husband in the next year or two!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear WaturiMatu, we all wished that you two could have stayed here longer - next time, please! I was only too happy to follow up on your tour and was pleased to hear that you had enjoyed yourselves. You must let us know if you return. With kind regards, Samantha
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Choice to stay at the Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa was made by our agent Gallery Tours in Zanzibar based on high specifications to host a high level delegation of tourism stakeholders from East Africa.

Check in was efficient for the group and porters available to whisk guests to their rooms on foot or by golf cart depending on distance from the reception.

The establishment layout is well planned, all suites have a private porch and are surrounded by tropical gardens with stunning views of the deep blue Indian Ocean. The suite decor is exquisite, suites spacious and tastefully furnished. The bathroom finishing is beautiful and somewhat gives you a spa feel. I loved the digital weighing scale which was a good reminder to watch what you eat. The bath suite products are luxurious.

The dining options are varied, with the main Aqua restaurant offering a lavish buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then there is the Carnivorous and more that offers a taste of all things African. If you are wish for Oriental cuisine try the Ishi-Teppanyaki open only for dinner and if you are feeling pasta-ish try the Pasta and Pizza Corner. The Ice cream was great.

The Spa & Health Club offer extensive services like the hammam, hydrotherapy, body and beauty treatments. Loved the relaxation area with Jacuzzi and pool. It’s a must do.

The kids play area that I saw is not very equipped, but again this could be work in progress.

The staff were friendly and went out of their way to make sure that my stay was pleasant. The Hotel MD/ Part owner Francisco earned my thumbs up for freely mingle with guests while rolling up his sleeves to ensure that everything was running well.

Cons: Wireless internet in the rooms is a challenge, something to do with the thick walls as I was told.

Room Tip: Though all rooms are ocean facing; the rooms and suites closer to the dining area and the beach are...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear WaturiMatu, it was wonderful to welcome your group and to read such sincere comments from you upon departure. We too hope our bathrooms emulate a spa! We are glad you got to enjoy all of our offerings including the Asian and African restaurants. When will you return? With kind regards, Samantha
Wokingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The HIdeaway is a positioned in a stunning location, beautiful beach, wonderful sea views and is genuinely a luxury five star resort. Rooms are excellent, food offering varied and delicious, staff very friendly. Spa and gym first class. Cleanliness is outstanding, entertainment each evening was good. Altogether a wonderful resort and well worth visiting. Contact Samantha Boyle, Guest Relations Manager with any query, or question, she is excellent and extremely helpful.
Many thanks for a wonderful holiday Samantha!

Room Tip: Luxury Beach Villas as very well positioned, wonderful sea views and privare plung pools.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Samantha B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear bill1664, it was such fun to have you stay here with your family. Head Butler Vivian and I were truly sorry to see you leave. We sincerely hope to see you all return soon. Please just get in touch when you are ready. Until then and with kind regards, Samantha
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I have to insist that you ignore negative reviews. As a solo traveller, I was greeted like an old friend and the reception knew my name although we were 5 people who arrived at same time. Every one from serving staff to the ground men went out of their way to just say hello. Loved the spa and the pool . They also have taken care of activities you can do with your family. like darts pool and card games. You will not be bored. ..trust me

of course not all is rosy and I feel that the management should address these issues. One. .. Please give your guests water with their dinner. I was asked if I want a glass of water only to be charged $3 for it. That's ridiculous. secondly, I came on holiday to relax not to hear stories of discrimination on salary of staff. That's not fair. Could you pay your people fairly? you already have disgruntled employees 3 months after opening.

All in all, I loved my experience and would love to come back.

• Stayed July 2013
Samantha B, Guest Relations Manager at Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Kezgeo, we are delighted to hear that you felt taken care of as a solo traveller and that you enjoyed our activities. We thank you for your constructive comments but assure you that our Swahili speaking owners have been in Zanzibar for decades and pay our staff in line according to our competitors, their skills and their tenure with us. Please be advised too that water is included for all-inclusive packages but all beverages for half-board are chargeable. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Kind regards, Samantha
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had stayed for 2 weeks at Hideaway in Zanzibar and could have definitely stayed longer. The perfect mixture of an excellent service, a wonderful long "sugar" beach and the most beautiful pool I had ever been and seen.
Hakuna Matata: not only words but perfectly realised. Whenever (at all) a problem arouse, it had been sorted out immediately.
The best for me: wherever I had been in the hotel, I could see the sea with the different colours: breakfast, room, fitness room, pool.....the sea is always with you.
I already plan the next trip there....

Room Tip: There are no rooms but suites. I had a Junior Suite with sea view. Large balcony with sun beds. Larg...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Galava2013, it was a true delight to have you stay with us at Hideaway. As a solo traveller we were honoured to take care of you and were so happy to see you enjoy our stay with us so much. Perhaps one day you will return, or we will visit Berlin? Kind regards, Samantha

Been to Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!