“I guess it says quite something if you intend to stay in a place for a week and end up staying for more than 2.5 weeks..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Divine Diving, Yoga & Dive Center

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 13 Attractions in Nungwi
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience divine diving in Zanzibar’s crystal blue waters and pristine white beaches. Explore over 25 different dive sites with a variety of abundant, vibrant, colourful corals and marine life.Divine Diving is one of the very few uniquely combined yoga and dive centers in the world. We offer free optional breathing technique classes to improve your air consumptions to enjoy a more relaxed dive. We are a professional PADI Dive Center with an experienced team who has extensive knowledge of the area and biodiversity.
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I guess it says quite something if you intend to stay in a place for a week and end up staying for more than 2.5 weeks.. And there's only Divine to blame ;-). Thanx Jaco, Lodize, Linnea, Kim, Opaz, Marisa & Juma! It really felt like a 2nd home!!!

I got my Advanced Open Water and did another 5 dives with divine. Small groups, enthousiastic crew and overall laidback but professional feel. Most of my training dives were one on one with loads of time, the other dives with max 4 divers which was really nice. The night dives were awesome and I finally feel like I control my buoyancy!

I can HIGHLY recommand these folks!

Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Just okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I've dived with quite a few clubs in a few places around the world and I have to say this worst the worst experience I've had so far (been diving 8 years). There was a large group of us with varying degrees of diving/snorkeling experience and I think it may just have been more than the diving crew could handle.

The trip felt disorganized and leadership was poor with no clear instructions/guidance given to some people, which ended in a couple of minor injuries taking place. Once these happened, they were brushed off and no care was offered during the 5 hours plus we were at sea. The staff at the hotel had to do address once we were back from the trip. Partial refunds were given even though one person had an awful experience and I felt should have not been charged at all.

As for my own experience, I didn't feel engaged with the crew and felt they were letting us go diving with them as opposed to guiding us. In addition, I wanted to hire a camera so I asked for it the previous day and was told to request it in the morning. Of course when I requested it in the morning, I was told I needed to request it the day before! Not impressed.

The water itself was clear and warm and the marine life whilst not spectacular was decent. These things can't be controlled, I understand so my rating is based mostly on the crew and their leadership/engagement skills on the day.

We did give the club this feedback the following day and I felt it went in deaf ears as they basically argued against what we had to say, rather than accept the constructive criticism for what it was.

Visited June 2014
Opaz_Micahel, Owner at Divine Diving, Yoga & Dive Center, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hi Patricia,

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm sorry that you felt that you didn't engage with us on your trip, and our apologies regarding the camera situation, it was a misunderstanding at the time, that the camera was not charged, which we explained and apologized for on the morning.

Your feedback to us from the day of the trip, and from the next morning was very different, I'm not sure why, but just to clarify a few things, you were on a different boat from the snorkeling group. Also our regulations are that we never take more than 6 people per dive group, this particular trip there was no more than 4 divers per group, and the groups were split up by experience and diving level.

Regarding the two people that stepped on the sea urchin, on the snorkeling boat, they had been warned before leaving to board the boat to take care whilst walking, and been offered and advised to wear booties to protect themselves as much as they could, along with the rest of both groups, but they chose not to listen or take heed. We listened to the feedback the next day, and we apologized for the fact that they felt they did not have a good experience, there was no arguing, just explaining our views. Their answer for our explanation afterwards, was - you should enforce us to wear them, it's just like telling a 3 year old to wear a seat belt and not buckling them up. I'm sorry, but they are not 3 years old, all we can do is advise in situations such as this. You can not know if they were taken care of or not, because you were on a different boat, so this is not a first hand opinion.

I'm sorry, but your friends from the group, were threatening us if we would not give them money back, they would give us a bad review on Trip Advisor. I'm not succumbing to threats, I have always, and always will, treat our guests as my family, and I feel the rest of the reviews on here stand to this.

Patricia, customer service is one of our biggest goals for the dive center. I see Trip Advisor as a tool to improve ourselves, and not as a tool to threaten businesses to get money back, and our feeling from your friends on the snorkeling trip, was that they were just looking for their money back. In fact, the other people that were on the same snorkeling trip, the same boat, on the same day, gave us really good reviews below, and good feedback from the day, for our staff management, for our staff taking care of them on the boat ( it wasn't the calmest day on the ocean, and several people were sea sick ) and for the trip in general.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding with the camera, and I'm taking on board your feeling of disengagement with our staff, I feel that we failed there. I hope that one day you will be around again, and we can give you a better experience, as we strive for it to be.

With Warmth,

Opaz
Midrand, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
“Diving Facilities at Nungwi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I did not dive myself during our stay - recent back operation, BUT how ever I visited the diving center out of curiosity. They are well stocked with all your diving equipment requirement. The staff seems well trained and competent in what they are doing. What I really witness is the amount of holiday guest making use of this center.

Visited March 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We did a snorkel trip and it was poorly managed. The customer service wasn't great (t.i.a. I know, but you still expect a certain level) and the safety aspect of the trip wasn't good either. There was no first aid kit on board (and it was needed) and nobody counted us on or off the boat which is basic in snorkeling or diving trips. A couple of people stood on sea urchins when walking out to the boat without any proper advice about being careful. There was also feedback from the dive trip that the experience was a little below par (not in terms of marine life, but the boat journey etc).

I know this dive centre has excellent reviews from a lot of other visitors so perhaps we were unlucky but it really was a dodgy experience!

Visited June 2014
“Dive Into Divine Diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

What do you do as a solo, female vacationer in Zanzibar for two weeks?

First, be incredibly thrilled that you're in Zanzibar; second, book that long-awaited Open Water Diver Certification class you've been promising yourself for forever. Fun, exciting, built-in companions, a new skill to brag about to your friends back home watching National Geographic on TV. What more could you ask for?

And definitely book it with Divine Diving! Not only did I get to pair up with some fantastic instructors, but they also took me under their fins and had plenty of advice for fun things to do in the area, where to eat, what to eat, and especially where to drop in the water. The equipment is in great shape, the crew is super knowledgeable and friendly, and the underwater world is incredible all around Nungwi!

I was more than happy to spend my vacation doing something new and exciting with this group. Though I am now totally spoiled by the diving experience and all the beauty in that underwater world, even snorkeling atop the surface would be a great adventure in Nungwi.

Did I mention just how beautiful this place is? Seriously, if you're on the fence about this decision, get off it and dive in. It's only water after all and the most incredibly clear, azure, sparkling water you can find anywhere.

Yep, I highly recommend Divine Diving, but only if you're looking for a great adventure with a fun crew. :)

I'm already making plans to return!

Happy diving,

~A newly certified underwater enthusiast