“Über relaxing and gorgeous resort to boot!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Essque Zalu Zanzibar to your Saves list
Essque Zalu Zanzibar
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nungwi, Nungwi 3151, Tanzania   |
Ranked #1 of 17 hotels in Nungwi
“Über relaxing and gorgeous resort to boot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful stay here; the setting is stunning, the staff were wonderful, the food was excellent, the spa was fantastic and the beach front bungalow was gorgeous. All the ingredients you need for an amazing holiday. It was the perfect escape from the dreadful weather at home.
I would highly recommend a stay here. Given the standards of service received and the idlic location I thought it was excellent value for money. I have paid a lot more and got a great deal less in other resorts I have stayed in.
The staff truly are a credit to the General Manager. I really could not rate them highly enough. Special mention to Valentino and Alfred who were great. Alfred could not have been more helpful.
The shop could do with having a bit more in it and I think they could also do with having info on excursions in the rooms. We kept missing the chap that organised this which was a bit of a shame.
If you do visit here make sure you go to the local turtle sanctuary. Does not look much from outside but it was really interesting.

• Stayed February 2013
NicolasKonig-GM, General Manager at Essque Zalu Zanzibar, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Bonjour and warm greetings from Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

Such kind words of admiration are greatly appreciated by my team and myself. Our cumulative aim is to ensure we meet and exceed guest satisfaction and reading from you energises our selves to deliver more! Thank you!

Both Valentino and Alfred have read your feedback and send their regards and appreciations to you for your kind words. The management also appreciates to know which of our staff made your stay special - thanks for letting us know.

We have noted your concerns on the boutique shop and the need for having an excursions brochure in all rooms. It is always great to read and learn of some excursions so tat you can make up your mind what suites you or what you like best - we will surely do the needful and ensure these changes are made at the earliest.

With thanks and warm regards,

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bangalore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I fell in love with this hotel. The rooms, the ocean, the fabulous swimming pool. Definitely recommend this hotel to all.
A special mention to the little pool outside the rooms. This is an amazing place to relax with complete privacy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hello and a warm bonjour from Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

We are thankful for your nice and heart warming words on your stay during your visit to Zanzibar.

The serene ambience and zen like tranquility makes Essque Zalu entirely unique giving all our guests an feeling of relaxation and being one with the surroundings.

We hope our memories live in your heart for years to come,

Warm regards,

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

In December 2012 we spent 2 night at Essque Zalu prompted by a friend texting me a photo while we were on safari in Tanzania. When arrived in were instantly blown away. The design and ambience of the place was divine - not like anything we had yet or would experience in Africa.

Due to our very late reservation we managed to secure an Ocean View room for the first night and then a garden room for the second. This didn't bother us at all. The Ocean room was divine and right on the ocean. Zanzibar was very hot and the breeze off the ocean was very nice.

Once we had settled in the manager Nicholas advised us that there was a big wedding taking place that night and that over 100 people would be staying/attending!! We were a bit surprised and not terribly worried. He assured us that he would do everything he could to ensure our stay would be great and he did.

The wedding was loud (finishing at 6.30am when the generator finally gave up or someone secretly turned it off) but the ocean room we were in seems not to pick up most of the noise and we could still sleep pretty well. The next morning we were greeted by a very tired and apologetic Nicholas advising that he had upgraded us to a villa instead of the garden room. Apart from the fact that this was unnecessary as we were only mildly impacted, the villa was incredible and the offer clearly very generous.

While we were out snorkelling with a dive group (another review) and swimming with dolphins, all our luggage was transferred to the villa for she we arrived back. Our son couldn't keep his jaw off the ground he was so impressed.

Overall the two nights at Essque Zalu were fantastic made all the better by excellent service and attention by staff and a genuine feeling of wanting you to enjoy your stay. Our only regret was that we didn't get longer to stay (especially as the wedding guests left the same day we did)...

It would be fantastic to see a place like this use its position to provide some support to local communities and to encourage the guests to support the initiative as Im sure many, if not all, could afford to! Thanks Nicholas

Room Tip: If you can afford the villa and there are a few of you - it would be fantastic. If not, the ocean f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bonjour and warm wishes from the spice island of Unguja, alias Zanzibar,

It was really great to have very understanding guests as you - Thank you very much for such an amazing review, means a lot to everyone of us at Essque Zalu.

We love to make sure all our guests are well taken care of and that they are enjoying their stay with us. In the event we feel otherwise we right away approach the guest and see what we can do to ensure their stay remains a memorable one and we take remedial actions promptly, if any required. Our guests remain the primary focus at all times of their stay.

2 days in Zanzibar whizz through quite quickly therefore we do hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service again on your next trip to Zanzibar!

Wishing you a wonderful year and forwarding our sincere appreciations for choosing Essque Zalu Zanzibar as your preferred hotel for your holiday in Zanzibar,

With warm regards,

A Bientot

Paphos, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have spent six days in this beautiful place and wAnted to stay more. It is a luxury property, very well looked after, with lush gardens, excellent pool, amazing architecture. Staff are very friendly and helpful and a manager is doing a great job adding the tough of perfection to everything. Food is magic - congratulations to the chef. You must try a spa - excellent standard and experienced staff. Essque gives you this strange and fantastic feeling of being so far away from everything it is a paradise on earth, you start count your days in here, each one as a last one, you do not want to come back from here. But, there are few issues which I believe should be improved. Internet reception was poor. I suppose it is not much they can do about. Charging adapter was a big issue. Shopping - they have a nice big shop in the hotel, but very few items, little choice I must say. Music entertainment . Sleepy rasta songs will put you in bed even if you do not want to. There is life in Kendwa of course but you will have to get there. We had a very nice time despite those points, unforgettable holidays, memories of which will be cherished by our family. Please note, this hotel has the highest roofs on Zanzibar! So, it's an ultimate choice!

Room Tip: We stayed at garden studio 15 with the view to the ocean - that was a perfect combination, we were...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ezz11, General Manager at Essque Zalu Zanzibar, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello and good day from the sunny coast of Zanzibar,

Thank you so much for the time you have taken to post this review following your recent stay at Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

I will be sure to pass your compliments to my colleagues who will be very thrilled with your generous words of encouragement. Additionally, your concerns on the slow internet will surely be taken into consideration as we will be introducing additional capacity and bandwidth to meet the growing demand of our guests to be online whilst on holiday. We are also in the process to change our electrical sockets and have one international sockets to move away from the adaptor issues.

I sincerely hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Essque Zalu Zanzibar sometime in the near future and we are hopeful that Essque Zalu Zanzibar will linger in your memories forever,

Manama, Bahrain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

What I loved the most about Essque Zalu is that it's a getaway but it feels like home, you're escorted to your villa as soon as you get there. The Jetty and the Jetty restaurant are amazing, food was fantastic, we had a romantic dinner at the jetty which was magical, the spa was great, and all the staff were friendly and helpful but be patient with them during breakfast time, it was always crowded..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonjour and good day from Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our personal touch in service delivery - than you also for your encouraging appreciations on the quality of our food, spa and our friendly staff who are friendly and helpful.

We do regret the latency in service you experienced during breakfast which is not usual however we have taken this up with the respective managers to make sure we can avoid such delays the next time we have groups staying with us.

Wishing you a wonderful 2013,

Warm regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent ONE week at Essque, and the only regret/complaint I have is: it should have been ONE month. ( or longer) . The photos on their website are so on point of giving you the right feeling of what to expect, however when you step onto the property, you are taken away. They give options of water sports, and city excursions, but I found myself not desiring to leave the property. However after 4 days, I finally gave in to stepping away for a day on a Sand Dune ( great experience ) and Stone Town. The Spa at Essque is a must do, and a do-over! Some people I traveled with, made it a daily ( twice a day ) activity. That was another regret I had, I waited toward the end of my stay, to experience the spa, and ran out of time to do more.

Pay attention to the schedule of the tides ( which is provided in your room) I have a few scars to remind me of Essque because I didnt read the schedule and decided to go swimming off the Jetty.

The rooms, are also quite beautiful, and if your budget allows you -- book a villa ( as it comes with a butler) however if you get a regular room, ( garden view) , you will be as well pleased, and comfortable.

The food, service, staff - were great.
I choose the ONBOARD package ( which is all inclusive, with exception of drinks) and it was worth it.
However if you are NOT a big eater-- and opt not to eat three meals a day ( 4 courses at dinner ) then dont choose this option.

I cant say enough, as I write this on my first day back to work- sitting here feeling very relaxed, but sad that i am not at Essque.

Room Tip: As mentioned above-- if your budget allows you to get a VILLA- go for it. its has 4-5 bedrooms, a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I checked into your hotel on the 24th Jan and spent 3 nights leaving on the 27th Jan, 2013. We were impressed with d cleanliness, excellent service by a dedicated team, unparalleled level of organisation and genuiue passion to please the customer.

I plan to be back with my children later in the year becasue I truly believe that I received value for the money paid.

I want to seize this opportunity to commend the Management and Staff of Essque Hotel Zalu for a job well done and challenge them to continue to maintain this high standard.

Well done.

Regards,

Oludotun Osiyemi

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Essque Zalu Zanzibar? Share your experiences!