“Overall Wonderful Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Manama, Bahrain
“Overall Wonderful Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

What I loved the most about Essque Zalu is that it's a getaway but it feels like home, you're escorted to your villa as soon as you get there. The Jetty and the Jetty restaurant are amazing, food was fantastic, we had a romantic dinner at the jetty which was magical, the spa was great, and all the staff were friendly and helpful but be patient with them during breakfast time, it was always crowded..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ezz11, General Manager at Essque Zalu Zanzibar, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Bonjour and good day from Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us at Essque Zalu Zanzibar,

We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and that you liked our personal touch in service delivery - than you also for your encouraging appreciations on the quality of our food, spa and our friendly staff who are friendly and helpful.

We do regret the latency in service you experienced during breakfast which is not usual however we have taken this up with the respective managers to make sure we can avoid such delays the next time we have groups staying with us.

Wishing you a wonderful 2013,

Warm regards,

Nicolas Konig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I spent ONE week at Essque, and the only regret/complaint I have is: it should have been ONE month. ( or longer) . The photos on their website are so on point of giving you the right feeling of what to expect, however when you step onto the property, you are taken away. They give options of water sports, and city excursions, but I found myself not desiring to leave the property. However after 4 days, I finally gave in to stepping away for a day on a Sand Dune ( great experience ) and Stone Town. The Spa at Essque is a must do, and a do-over! Some people I traveled with, made it a daily ( twice a day ) activity. That was another regret I had, I waited toward the end of my stay, to experience the spa, and ran out of time to do more.

Pay attention to the schedule of the tides ( which is provided in your room) I have a few scars to remind me of Essque because I didnt read the schedule and decided to go swimming off the Jetty.

The rooms, are also quite beautiful, and if your budget allows you -- book a villa ( as it comes with a butler) however if you get a regular room, ( garden view) , you will be as well pleased, and comfortable.

The food, service, staff - were great.
I choose the ONBOARD package ( which is all inclusive, with exception of drinks) and it was worth it.
However if you are NOT a big eater-- and opt not to eat three meals a day ( 4 courses at dinner ) then dont choose this option.

I cant say enough, as I write this on my first day back to work- sitting here feeling very relaxed, but sad that i am not at Essque.

Room Tip: As mentioned above-- if your budget allows you to get a VILLA- go for it. its has 4-5 bedrooms, a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I checked into your hotel on the 24th Jan and spent 3 nights leaving on the 27th Jan, 2013. We were impressed with d cleanliness, excellent service by a dedicated team, unparalleled level of organisation and genuiue passion to please the customer.

I plan to be back with my children later in the year becasue I truly believe that I received value for the money paid.

I want to seize this opportunity to commend the Management and Staff of Essque Hotel Zalu for a job well done and challenge them to continue to maintain this high standard.

Well done.

Regards,

Oludotun Osiyemi

• Stayed January 2013
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I am from Guatemala and was there with my family (parents and 3 siblings) as the last stop of a very fun vacation throughout Tanzania. From day one, we were greeted by the most friendly staff and were handed a smile every minute of our stay. Everyone was very attentive and made us feel at home. The resort is amazing and has the most breath-taking views and a very enjoyable infinity pool. The entire resort is spot clean and well taken care of. We stayed at one of the villas and enjoyed our own little private pool, massage room, and wide environments. The different restaurants are all delicious and handled by good staff. The manager was always in sight making sure our stay was delightful. I loved it and I would go back anytime!

Room Tip: Villas are very private, complete, and super comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We just spent a heavenly week at the Essque Zalu, it absolutely deserves all the top reviews, staff level really is outstanding - so many beautiful smiles all around and great attention to detail and making guests feel like nothing is too much.
Massages almost every day and there too we were surprised at how high the quality was and how wonderfully flexible they were in terms of booking changes etc.
Fabulous food, whether on the jetty or at the restaurant (the a la carte restaurant upstairs seems a bit lost in space and slightly impersonal so never went there...)
All of this is to a large part clearly due to the very present manager - rarely the case these days - who came to greet and chat with most guests at lunch and/or dinner every day, implementing guest feedback straight away.
There weren't any kids other than babies around when we were there so I am not sure I would take mine plus there really isn't a beach for them to play on though the enormous pool of course is a great plus.
We stayed in Suite 15 on the waterfront (biggest bed we ever had in any hotel! wonderful) and just sitting on the terrace watching the tides come and go was paradise. (not one mosquito bite during the whole week by the way, extraordinary!)
Nungwi village 15 minutes walk on the beach at low tide makes for a nice little excursion into a more authentic African experience than the hotel. Kitesurfing school/rental and kayak rentals 10 minutes walk down the beach.
All in all a great place to get away from it all and let yourself be pampered rotten...
Thank you to all of the 180 staff at the Essque who made this such a lovely week for us!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brasschaat, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were in essque zalu in the start of january. The hotel is really Nice, but we think it can Be even Much better. The rooms are Nice and clean, the bed is also big and very comf. We were in a garden villa, it is Nice but you do not have a vieuw if you want too. Breakfast and dinner is a la carte. For dinner you have 3 menu's of choice: menu, veggie or swahili. But sometimes there are things That you just dont like/eat. So with buffet its easier, but different. The food is nicely presented on the platea. only on the plates you will see fingerprints, also on the glasses. it seems like the just dont dry it??? when you like to smoke, they dont put an ashtray standard on the table. so you really need to aak because even when you are smoking a sigaret they just dont notice it... not even after several days. My husband has a sensitive stomach and after 3 days he got a little sick and 1 day after it got me :( when you order a drink at the pool it takes About 20min before you got your drink. The pool is amazing! Also the friendly Guy who takes care of you towel! The zalu special drink is very Nice even as the hibiscus ice tea! Fortunata was always smiling and in for a chat! Also robbert at the jetty was fun! But if the manager can do something for you he Will!!
Overal a very Nice hotel but i think it can Be better, maybe its because we already did a few superb hotels. It is just our opinion That we wanted to share :-)

• Stayed January 2013
Bonjour and salutations from Zanzibar,

We are really thankful for your wonderful and very honest perspective on your time with us. We appreciate your constructive critisicism and we have already started following up on the concerns raised by you where you saw fingerprints on the cutlery and glass. This is definitely not our standards and we have already changed some of the staff to ensure service delivery is practised as per luxury standards which we have been known to provide since our opening. Allow me to assure you that your point has been taken extremely seriously and we have taken remedial action to ensure this will not happen again.

Essque Zalu Zanzibar has since its opening become quite well known for its culinary and gourmet dining options, thanks to our team of dedicated and highly experienced chefs. We have moved on from the buffet concepts for daily guests since we believe it takes away the personal touch that we endeavour to provide all our customers. The dinner menu has been designed to provide our guests with 3 options consisting of Non-Veg, Veg and Local Swahili food where guests have the option of mix and matching to enjoy their dinner. Alternatively, our chef is readily available to conjure up something you like in the event that our set menu does not appeal to you; we just wish that you would have discussed with your waiter when you felt the menu did not appeal to you. We do sincerely regret that we could not meet your culinery expectatons and we will surely try and see how best we can work this out to ensure we cater for diverse meal requirements.

Zanzibar during these hot and humid times can be quite a challenge for many tourists who do not drink a lot of fluids to keep themselves hydrated. Your feeling unwell may have been a sign of dehydration and sun stroke which does make it difficult on the body making one feel sick and weak. We always encourage our guests to take plenty of fluids especially when swimming or going out on the beach.

Thank you very much for your kind words of praise to Fortunata, the pool guy and Robbert and not forgeting our signature drink the Zalu Special and the Hibiscus and lemongrass ice tea which is extremely refreshing and energising.

We are once again thankful to you for sharing your opinions and we are confident that we have addressed the concerns raised by you which will address accordingly and do the needful to ensure we do not repeat them.

Forwarding our sincere appreciations,

Warm regards,

Nicolas Konig
Zanzibar, Tanzania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

There are so many good things to say about this property its difficult to know to begin, however, apart from flawless housekeeping, well maintained grounds, friendly and attentive staff and good food, it was the outstanding levels of service and the "can do" attitude of the staff that really stands out. Nothing is a problem here and every request no matter how mundane was fulfilled with a smile and that aforementioned can do attitude. I loved the pool area and the jetty restaurant at the end of the pier. I indulged in a number of treatments at the on-site spa, all of them good and can be recommended. I stayed in a garden room and was perfectly happy with it. The huge bathroom, walk in closets and good quality linen and towels all added to a sense of pure luxury.
Another impressive aspect is the hotels attempt to reduce its carbon footprint. Motion sensor lighting in public area bathrooms among other small but important efforts are well received.
In short, a great hotel with outstanding service and I most certainly would return.

Room Tip: I stayed in a garden room and was very happy with it. i had a peek at the villas. (amazing with own...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Essque Zalu Zanzibar? Share your experiences!