We just spent a heavenly week at the Essque Zalu, it absolutely deserves all the top reviews, staff level really is outstanding - so many beautiful smiles all around and great attention to detail and making guests feel like nothing is too much.
Massages almost every day and there too we were surprised at how high the quality was and how wonderfully flexible they were in terms of booking changes etc.
Fabulous food, whether on the jetty or at the restaurant (the a la carte restaurant upstairs seems a bit lost in space and slightly impersonal so never went there...)
All of this is to a large part clearly due to the very present manager - rarely the case these days - who came to greet and chat with most guests at lunch and/or dinner every day, implementing guest feedback straight away.
There weren't any kids other than babies around when we were there so I am not sure I would take mine plus there really isn't a beach for them to play on though the enormous pool of course is a great plus.
We stayed in Suite 15 on the waterfront (biggest bed we ever had in any hotel! wonderful) and just sitting on the terrace watching the tides come and go was paradise. (not one mosquito bite during the whole week by the way, extraordinary!)
Nungwi village 15 minutes walk on the beach at low tide makes for a nice little excursion into a more authentic African experience than the hotel. Kitesurfing school/rental and kayak rentals 10 minutes walk down the beach.
All in all a great place to get away from it all and let yourself be pampered rotten...
Thank you to all of the 180 staff at the Essque who made this such a lovely week for us!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove on the island’s north-eastern coast overlooking the Indian Ocean. Choose from 40 suites, all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Ensconce yourself in luxurious-styled spaces crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof. If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our nine expansive villas; 3 or 4 bedrooms. Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen or just chill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Venere, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Odigeo, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Nungwi