It has been exactly one week since we have been at Essque Zalu for our four nights and five days vacation and we have talked about it EVERYDAY since! Recounting what we were doing daily, either lounging by the infinity pool, eating swordfish and prawns at the Jetty with Hassan providing us excellent bar service, he kept the shots coming! But I digress; let me take you back to the beginning!
Mohammed picked us up from the airport and provided an exceptional, informative drive through Stone Town all the way to the hotel. We didn’t utilitize Mohammed as much as we should have (next trip?), we just wanted to lounge and relax in paradise. However, if you need to hit those tourist spots- see Mohammed! Saying he has a wealth of information, is an understatement. He takes pride in knowing all about his home!
When we arrived we were greeted graciously by the GM Nicholas, Ruthie (Evening Mgr.) and Paul “front desk” staff. Front desk is in quotes because there is no front desk! You are greeted and taken directly to your room, after of course a brief walk-through to get you familiar with the hotel. The walk-through was quick and didn’t take us out of the direction of our room.
Our room was SPACIOUS and ELEGANT!!! We had the ocean front view so we allotted time just to enjoy the elegance of our room. And room service! We only wanted seafood and had only two meals brought to us, both were fish and chips. DELICIOUS! We enjoyed our patio and found ourselves up at 5am watching the sunrise over the Jetty, BEAUTIFUL!
Mohammed, our waiter for two days was wonderful and very engaging! Always smiling! The Assistant Restaurant Manager, Abdul, took care of us tremendously!!! He checked on us daily and would be seen all over making sure guests were happy! He communicated with the Head Chef (who was amazing and would check on his dining guests nightly at Market Kitchen to ensure they were enjoying their meals) which ultimately led to our personalized AMAZING last meal at their third restaurant A La Carte of about 6 courses of nothing but SEAFOOD prepared by Chef Tito. We were so stuffed, we couldn’t eat dessert! Many thanks to the Head Chef and Abdul for making that happen! The Head Chef even met us at the room in the morning of our last day to ask us about our meal. AMAZING! One thing though, please get take-away (or to-go) boxes so if guests are stuffed, we can enjoy the rest later in our room. I felt horrible leaving so much lobster to go to waste! I would have liked to enjoy it later.
Before our last meal, the mix-doctor of drinks, bartender John D. whipped up an extraordinary local pineapple drink! Pictures to come, if you go to Essque, see JOHN D.! He takes so much pride in his job and has so much fun with it! We challenged him for cocktails not on the set menu and he delivered like no other! I have some amazing pictures of drinks he had mixed up from us just asking him to “surprise us!” If you are expanding your cocktail menu, make John D. ahead of the project and training of how to mix the drinks. We had the most delicious, amazing drinks at his bar! He was really one of the highlights of our experience at Essque!
Daily, we were just in heaven! The whole ENTIRE staff there seems to love the property and enjoy their jobs. Coming from a hotel background, it is sometimes hard to smile everyday but ALL STAFF does. Gardeners, maintenance, housekeeping, etc. everyone made our stay so magical. Thanks to Suelemon(sp?) front desk, for approaching us and giving me a beautiful flower! It really made us smile! …And it later became my hair accessory. :) I can go on forever about Essque Zalu and we have been spreading the word daily. It really hurt to leave! :) We are already trying to find a way to get back there! :)
(More pictures to come when we aren't to depressed to look at them now!!! They will include: John D's amazing cocktails, restaurant meals and our room.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove on the island’s north-eastern coast overlooking the Indian Ocean. Choose from 40 suites, all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Ensconce yourself in luxurious-styled spaces crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof. If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our nine expansive villas; 3 or 4 bedrooms. Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen or just chill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Jetsetter, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and HostelWorld so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi