So I arrived to be greeted by an old college mate of mine who is now the Executive Sous chef @ Essque Zalu hotel. His name, Ian van der Walt, his characteristics, charming, sophisticated and wise. He has an in depth understanding about this beautifully created yet somewhat gargantuan establishment. As a chef myself, at Mnemba Island, I was blown away by not only the kitchen and its toys but by the food produced by it. There are 3 dining areas at Zalu, the ala carte restaurant, the Market kitchen (including full deli) and the restaurant out on the Jetty. All of which have incredibly tasty plates to choose from and to my surprise, very reasonably priced.
My meal @ Market kitchen:
Starter: Spinach and feta ravioli in a beurre noisette
Main: Beef Fillet (cooked to perfection) with trufflued brocolli puree, classic chips and Bearnaise sauce
Dessert: Collared creme brulee with passion fruit ice cream
Oh my word, twas all thoroughly delicious and served without pretense.
An upper bar area casts an incredible view over the architectually astounding infinity pool that creates an atmosphere of iminent freedom, complete with fountains and a built in hot tub.
The staff...all welcoming...literally...Karibu sana voiced at you with smiles of true sincerity. The rooms, what can I say, I pride myself on having slept on some comfortable beds in my lifetime and valued many good nights sleep but @ Zalu the bed I slept in made me feel at home in paradise. Waking with such rejuvination and hopping into a well pressured luxury shower room with high end European toiletries (which I did not knick btw).
All in all even with the extravagent design that, at first, I will admit to be a bit intimidating, it all comes together. Once you explore the art gallery, the 50 meter jetty, the elborate entrance hall and of course the unparalleled professionalism of all involved, it simply just works. I will be back again without a doubt
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove on the island’s north-eastern coast overlooking the Indian Ocean. Choose from 40 suites, all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Ensconce yourself in luxurious-styled spaces crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof. If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our nine expansive villas; 3 or 4 bedrooms. Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen or just chill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Tingo, Despegar.com, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Nungwi