We were three friends visiting Zanzibar for the first time........mainly for business, but our stay, facilities and view at ZALU was so incredible, that we felt like we were on holiday!!
The building and architecture is impressive to say the least - the roof pitch has to be the tallest on the island. They have Suites and Villas set amongst fantastic gardens - we stayed in suites and the standard of offering exceeded our expectations. They only opened in June, so everything is in tip-top condition, but the service culture and slickness feels that they have been open for years!
ZALU is part of the ESSQUE group.......i just love their philosophy and 'essence' : "We have a vision and have made it a reality - to create inspirational places for you to stay, eat, play, relax and do business - your way - translating luxury the way you understand it".....they really lived up to it in their delivery!
There is naturally always somebody that has to make it happen on the ground - i have to compliment the very competent and friendly staff that is dressed in the most beautiful uniforms - they always have a smile to offer and welcoming you in their island/Swahili language....KARIBU!! The General Manager, Nicolas Konig is most charming and looks after all his guest with great ease....always around when you need him for assistance.
The food was outstanding - a variety of venues and styles to choose from, so you will not go hungry.......'The Jetty' for lunch was definitely my favorite - the view and intense blue sea around you is to die for....i could have sat there the entire day.
I went for a run on the beach every day at low tide......I felt completely safe and was enjoying the local island-living around me - boats, fisherman, kids playing soccer, tourist enjoying the sun......and the vibrant beach-bars in Nungwi was also a good experience - 'Cholos' is not far from ZALU and we walked there on the beach one night for a different experience. For some pampering, we went for a treatment at their Spa and the ladies made us feel like princesses!!
We did some water sport with EAST AFRICA DIVING company - jet-ski and paragliding (fantastic and very high!!!).....i unfortunately did not have enough free time to go scuba diving with them, but will definitely put that on my list to do next time - i was very impressed with the quality of their equipment.
One of the best things about the location of ZALU is that it is a bit elevated off the beach, so you do not get any disturbance or interference from local traders bothering you - one can enjoy the exclusivity.
The week went by too quickly!! LUCKILY we were introduced to their Private Residence Club and we have an option to purchase a membership......this will give us the excuse to go there EVERY YEAR FOR 50 YEARS!!!
i will sincerely highly recommend visiting this property when u go to Zanzibar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar is an intimate boutique destination nestled in a natural cove on the island’s north-eastern coast overlooking the Indian Ocean. Choose from 40 suites, all with picturesque views over the lush tropical garden or the ocean turquoise blue. Ensconce yourself in luxurious-styled spaces crafted from local materials, adorned with native artwork and housed under a traditional pitched Makuti roof. If you need extra space to spread out, try one of our nine expansive villas; 3 or 4 bedrooms. Stretch out in the spacious living room, rustle up a snack in your own kitchen or just chill in the privacy of your very own plunge pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Jetsetter, Odigeo, HostelWorld and Agoda so you can book your Essque Zalu Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Hotel Nungwi
- Essque Zalu Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Nungwi