“Saved our vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Specialty lodging in Nungwi
Bellevue, Washington, United States
“Saved our vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We planned a scuba diving trip to Zanzibar with my wife Lucie - found a great looking place, only to be shuttled into a cottage that smelled of rotten wood, with no hot water or AC/fans.
The first night we took sleeping pills because we got there late in the evening. As we walked on the beach we noticed a couple sitting above. They asked us why we look so upset in such a beautiful place and we explained the trouble. They introduced themselves as the owner of the mini-resort (only 4 rooms) and offered us their help. After talking to the guys at our place, they moved us and have taken care of us like their own family. From driving us to the scuba shop, to making amazing lobster dinners or crapes in the morning.

Thank you for saving our vacation - again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Falkenberg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

Following tips and reviews here on trip advisor and I took my fiancee to visit Game fishing lodge. Colin and Leslie are some of the most wonderful and hospitable people we ever met! Although we have not booked before we arrived in Zanzibar did they do everything so that we could go fishing. Their service level is absolutely the best.
Delicious food cooked on the grill directly on the table in light of the candles! Very friendly and nice atmosphere.

Despite the challenges of bad weather did Colin every effort that we would get a good fishing trip. High waves and strong winds did not stop us from getting the fish. Many bites and two fish on deck. Unfortunately, I missed a really big fish but that's just my own fault. Colin is extremely knowledgeable in these waters and know where to fish, depending on conditions and tides.

Next time we book a three day trip to Pemba!

Thanks again for an unforgettable experience!

With love Marcus and Linda

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Wow! What an incredible experience to spend time at Game Fish Lodge! It has got to be the most peaceful perfect place on the island and the amazing attitude of the owners, Colin and Lesley, make it better and more personal and accomodating than any other place I have ever stayed. Thank you guys for contributing to the most spectacular holiday! Your place and the two of you have such a presence about you! If you are going to Zanzibar staying at Game Fish Lodge is a must! The lodge is awesome and the beach and sea in front of it is better than that anywhere else on the island!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011 via mobile

Thank you Collin and Lesley!!

I had the honour and previledge to meet 2 amazing people that will bend over backwards to assist and help the people that meet them in Zanzibar.

I stayed in Zanzibar for almost 3 months and will without any doubt say that this is the place to go and enjoy yourself. If it wasn't for them I would not have stayed that long. They are very trusting people. For example: you take what you need from the bar and fill in a form to say what you took.....no cheking up on you every now and then.

The food I got from them was devine!!! Collin is a master chef and with Lesley's helping hand (and music in the kitchen) they conjured up ammazing dishes with the little resources of Zanzibar.

The hot water showers in the beautifully decorated rooms is a bonus. The new way they constructed the mosquito nets is also great. It is now easy to get the net out of the way and not make you feel all entangled in it during the night.

I will definateley be back in Zanzibar in 2012 to go stay there. They are friends to have for life and not just overseers/managers of a resort.
Thx for everything

• Stayed October 2011
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Hi

Just back from Nungwi, stayed at Ras Nungwi, but went fishing with and visited the Game Fish Lodge
Colin and Leslie are lovely people who are easy going and friendly

Fishing was great, Colin is a hard working, honest, skipper who does his best to get fish and helps as much as he can. Unlike any other fishing charters in the area. I was ripped off before (local charter, not Colin) as some skippers will trawl the barren areas in order to save lures (money), and then take you to a 'fertile area' to make sure you catch a fish and then home.

You can see this from the beach with the charter vessels fishing waters that even the locals are fishing in!! Rip off merchants.

I can honestly say that Colin is not in the group, I managed to lose several lures and fish but he wasn’t bothered. Great attitude

I have just read a previous post from Invictus, no need for his comments, obviously has extremely high standards and likes a bit of a complaint

My comments to his:

The beach in front of the lodge was unswimmable due to the vast amount of seaweed around.

Well what can I say, Mother Nature acts in strange ways, the sea was great all along the front, and you can walk believe it or not.

The other thing is take a sturdy pair of footwear as there are sea urchins

While Kendwa is only 3 kms. away, taxis in Zanzibar really overcharge as compared to other parts of Tanzania. You're lucky if you can get a taxi to bring you from Game Fish Lodge to Kendwa for only TSH 10,000 (around USD 6). Others charge at least TSH 15,000. Colin, the owner of the lodge along with his wife Lesley, does bring guests to nearby beaches for free when he is not otherwise out on game fishing trips.

I agree the taxis are taking the pi** they do try and charge a lot, negotiate as much as you can. I think they are self regulated. A generous offer of the lodge to give you a FREE lift, I guess if Colin is out trying to earn a living you could share a taxi with other guests to save some money or walk as it is about 45 minutes. A bit hot at midday

Game Fish Lodge is literally a mom-and-pop operation Couples, however, may prefer more privacy and having dinner on their own, where they are not forced to mingle and make small talk with strangers.

I did not stay at the Lodge but did pop by a few times for a beer, I think it is unfair criticizing a couple who are obviously working hard and being disrespectful by calling them mom and pop operation it is out of order. I have been to places before where the communal thing is going on, I am not keen on this sort of thing so I say so at the time and alternative arrangements are made. Communication the key to success

We stayed in big hotel but no free transfers $70 each way, I think Colin picks you up so a great saving there

The dinner, while tasty, is overpriced at $15.

All I can say is stay at the ras Nungwi, $45 each for 4 course meal, small portions. We took a taxi to Amman cottages. With transport, meals and drinks probably costs $40 for both. Well worth it as gets you out and about.

DON NOT GO to Inspiration Restaurant, I had terrible food poising my last night. Had been there 3 nights previously with only rough guts................ My wife had grilled fish no problem at all. Great sunset views around there with lots of selection

There is an issue with water but that is a government issue, we had frequent powers cuts but not for long. The worse place was the airport. Most places have backup generators that kick in

We went parasailing but got cheated a wee bit, paid $70 for 20 minutes but only got 10, was booked via ras (they made one phone call) so maybe they took a slice and we got 10 minutes rate. Go and book direct yourself. The office is on the beachfront and easy to find. I would recommend going up as you have superb views of the area

Change money in Stone town as much as you need as you will get humped on the rate.

Stone town 1730 shillings per dollar Nungwi area 1500

I felt pretty safe around there but be careful as always.

I enjoyed staying in the area

Please drop me a note if any information required I will try and help

BTW I did not know Colin before I went in case anyone is wondering, I Just think the tourist industry is a tough one and some people can unnecessarily whinge and it could potentially cost honest hard working people their livelihood, but of course you should always get value for money

Suggy

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
White River, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

My 3 teenage boys and me met Colin( from SA) and went out on his boat. it was i life highlight. Within 2 hours we had 2 sailfish on the boat and a couple of 26kg plus fish followed. A day I will always treasure. The boat was spacious and clean and comfortable and the kit was only the best. Colin has been fishing the area for 7 years and you cant beat local knowledge. He gave 120% and was just superb to be with. His lodge is just what you want in Zanzibar - you have to stay north(where the action is) and you have to stay east(the breeze is from the east!). The popular lodges seems to be too much in the local village and could be smelly if you are downwind from the harbour. He is outside the town but still walking distance from the restaurants and shopping places. His setting and view could be the best you will find and you will not want to ever leave his bar. His food is definitely the best we found and that includes the south as well. A must if you wnat to visit Zanzibar and best value for fishing probably in the world.

PS remember to do the blue safari in the south - a must do

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

I rarely write entries on Tripadvisor but having stayed at Game Fish Lodge, I felt the need to.

The location is beautiful, quiet and secluded. The rooms are more than adequate and running water (both hot and cold) were not issue whatsoever during our entire stay. I cannot express the kindness, generosity and friendliness of the owners Colin and Lesley. They catered to our every need. The food was spectacular, which consisted of whatever we wanted to eat! This included fresh fish, slow roasted lamb and prawns to name just a few dishes. Breakfast was perfect, and thankfully served at whatever time we asked.The other staff at GFL were extemely helpful and friendly.

Excursions were organised by Colin at the mere hint of wanting to do something. Free transfers were arranged to and from the nearby Kendwa beach. In the evenings we would go and listen to the local live band or drink at the nearby bars.

I have travelled all over the globe, and stayed at establishments for which I payed 5 times what I have done at GFL but didn't receive anywhere near the level of service. I rarely return to the same place twice but I can see just why people do so after staying with Colin and Lesley. They are a warm and welcoming couple who make every conceivable effort to make their guests feel comfortable.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Game Fish Lodge? Share your experiences!