“Terrible customer service” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Nungwi
nairobi
“Terrible customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Although the location of this hotel is good and the staff are friendly, the overall customer service is terrible. The hotel basically only caters for Italians so if you are not from Italy I strongly suggest that you don't go to this hotel - you will be ignored and treated as a second rate customer. In addition, the General Manager is exceptionally rude and does not assist his clients in anyway despite his staff giving out incorrect information. His attitude was that all customers must know everything before arriving and that asking for assistance is unacceptable. I have never experienced such poor customer service from the manager of an organisation. The maintenance of the rooms is also unacceptable for the price - we did not have any working lights for 2 days which was incredibly frustrating. The cleaners also burst into our room at 6am waking us up. I would definitely not go to this hotel EVER again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Brno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were there first time and everyting was super. Very nice beach and garden, cleaned rooms, very pleasant people everywhere. The food was delicious and various. We enjoyed our holiday maximally. We look forward to visit this resort next year. Thank you for all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I went to My blue resort in the second week of February and what can I say ?
It s one of the best holiday I ever done .
The resort is fine , well cleaned and people who work are always friendly and sweet.
The food is good and different every day ...but one of the best thingh was a fantastic dinner on the beach of delicious lobster!!
I love this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

We stayed at My Blue August 3 to 10 on their honeymoon and never so happy to return to Italia.Appena arrived we waited two hours the room for what we paid for a 4-Star Superior service leaves much to be desired. Believe me that my grandmother taught me to eat everything and at the same piatto.Siamo been ill with diarrhea during your stay, we thoroughly that it was owed by the restaurant food, trying not to eat when we realized that something in your mouth mettevi have run into food washed bathroom .... somehow??? plates full of flies, and I realized that some bottle Coke, Fanta, Sprite, they advance the open rimboccavano why I came to the table ..... I understand sgasata but not to waste what you pay for these things do not accept them!! very repetitive Eating fish: tuna, swordfish, octopus, vegetables: cooked and uncooked always the same,

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Very good hotel, good location, right on the beach. Food is amazing, i heard the hotel is owned by italians, which would explain such high quality of food. Bar is a bit poor, but as you spend most of the time by the beach, it is not a problem. High standards of cleaning, which we were a bit worried when going to africa. Enjoyed masai show in the hotel, who by the way also work as guards of the hotel, making you feel very safe.

• Stayed April 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I went to Zanzibar in December of 2010. My boyfriend and I stayed at the MyBlue Hotel because it was one of the most affordable full board resorts on the northern side of Zanzibar. We wanted to stay on the northern side of Zanzibar, Nungwi, because many of the reviews that we came across said that it was the best part of the island to stay in if you're young and want to be close to the social activities.

My first impression of MyBlue was excellent. We were welcomed in the reception area with welcome drinks and the staff was very warm and welcoming. We immediately felt comfortable on arrival. It was also really beautiful. The hotel rooms are built around the pool and bar area, which is quite nice and it is super close walking distance to the beach. We enjoyed walking along the beach for hours every morning and evening. From all the hotels we walked past, MyBlue, Royal Zanzibar and Z-Hotel were one of the few hotels with the best access and views of the beach. We were so glad to not have stayed on the East Coast because the water recedes for almost 1km during the day and the water is hot (uncomfortable hot). So in terms of location, MyBlue has an excellent location. It is within close walking distance to all the snorkeling and scuba diving facilities, but not right on top of it, which is great because you don't get bugged to go on trips whenever any locals see you.

In terms of the food and drinks, we were on the full board package which included food and drinks but didn't include alcohol. The alcohol is not excessively expensive, but not cheap either. So either bring your own or you can purchase from a small liquor shop next to the Z-Hotel, which is within short walking distance from MyBlue. The food was okay. If you're a meat lover, you are going to miss eating meat. The hotel usually serves fish and only serves chicken and beef occasionally, so if you see meat, grab some before it disappears. They serve pasta everyday for those that enjoy that. It is an Italian resort afterall, so I guess that was expected. Try to avoid the salads because they are washed with tap water, not mineral water, and as a foreigner, you may get sick if your tummy isn't made from steel. Overall, the food was okay, not lavishly excellent, but not bad at all. You can definitely go for the seafood dinner for two, where they set up a romantic, private dinner for two, but you have to pay separately for it.

As for the service, it was okay as well. It was a bit difficult to communicate with some of the employees, especially the manager because he is Italian and his English isn't so good. It was just a bit weird when you go eat breakfast, lunch or dinner and the staff is eating with you. I can understand if they come join you when the lunch or dinner service is coming to an end, but its a bit uncomfortable to eat with them when some of them are dishing all the meat (which was scarce) they could on their plates before the guests arrived. Maybe I'm just a bit picky, but it was a bit uncomfortable for me.

What I did enjoy about the service though is the bar and house keeping staff. They are always so friendly and they never give you attitude if you don't tip them. They always greet you with a smile and ask you how you're enjoying yourself, which is great. The house keeping staff is super dedicated as they come into your room every evening to spray mosquito repellant and put the mosquito net over your bed.

The rooms are really great. We had a nice view of the pool and the room was clean, modern and very comfortable. We had room service everyday, and there was the house keeping staff had no expectation to be tipped everyday.

Overall, we had a nice experience at MyBlue. Every hotel has its hiccups and the ones I experienced here I can easily overlook because the whole experience was quite good. I definitely recommend it to couples who are looking for affordable yet good accommodation in Nungwi. I would definitely go to MyBlue again but I would opt for the half board package as it is within close walking distance to many restaurants whose meals are quite reasonably priced.

Room Tip: In my opinion, rooms on the second floor is less noisy and you have a better view of the pool area.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

My girlfriend and I, stayed at My Blue for 2 weeks in October this year. There are few positive points about this hotel and quite many negative ones.
Positive: The hotel is situated in the North of the island (1,5 h by car from the airport) near a lovely white and clean sand beach. I think this is the best thing about the hotel...the location. During high tide the beach is almost inexistent, during low tide the beach is quite wide and remains clean... Regarding this aspect I think they are quite lucky bcz in front of Hilton hotel which is 500 m from this one, the beach is almost always covered by 5-6 m of dead algae.
Meemba island is quite close from the hotel(1 h by boat) and the corrals around the island are almost as beautiful as those from Maldives. The staff is very friendly and they are trying their best, to make your stay pleasant (for ex.: Umbertto). The beach boys around the hotels, especially Tonino were the best. We did almost all the trips with them, their excursions price are half the price of the hotel and they provide excellent quality. I would encourage anyone to go with them not only because is cheaper but also because those money will go to the African people and not to the Italian owners of the hotel.
Negative: They say that the hotel is 4 stars. I've been in many 4 starts but this doesn't come even close. Considering that is in Africa I would say it's an average 3 stars. You start having a bad feeling even before arriving to the hotel, as the road finishes in front of an neighbour hotel (Gemma dell Sud) and then you'll need to continue on a dusty road full of bumps and holes. The hotels' rooms are quite large. Our room was on the ground floor, right in front of the bar. The first week the room smelled of mold and moisture. We complained many times and they reacted (they did a thorough cleaning and change the A/C filters) only when we started to ask the travel agency representatives, about a possibility to change the hotel. Also you need to run after towels as they won't change them every day(even though they are used and wet) unless you wipe the floor with them. I also could add here other downsides of this room which could be: the entertainment from the bar becomes annoying after several days especially when Reginas' voice (the singer) is amplified by 100 Mwts stereo system which is located a few meters from your room windows…Especially when you come from a long day trip and you try to sleep around 10-11 PM. Also when it rains too much the smell of sewerage in the room is awful. Don't forget to pack shower gel and shampoo; we got one sample of each of them in the first day and another sample one day before departure.
I won't recommend you to try the cocktails as they are all bad. We tried almost all of them and they are bad not because the bartenders don't know how to make them, but because they use cheap alcohols, although the prices are comparable with the ones from EU. Another strange thing I've noticed was that they were serving the soft drinks, the ones you take on the beach with you, in small plastic glasses!!!(Never experienced that in a 4 star hotel)
Food…well there is a lot to speak about the food.
The breakfast is 100% the same every day and there isn't much choice. Lunch is quite the same every day with some minor changes. The dinner is nice; I have nothing to complain about that, especially that we didn't get sick like some people did. As this wasn't our first trip to Africa we took several different drugs to avoid problems like that, and I'd say it was a good idea. On the second week of our staying one of the owner of the hotel came in vacation. I'd recommend him to pass by more often as many things changes noticeable (us and other several guest noticed that the food became better and more diverse, and the resort got cleaner).
Another big disappointment was the Safari trip,2 days one night, we did with a guy named Jerard on a Staff and Co tour operator recommendation. My last picture contains his face so if you meet him I advice you to run away. He took us in Mikumi National park (Tanzania). We travel 10 h one way (plane+car+gip) to see a small number of tired animals. We spent more time travelling then in safari…I don't think we spent more than 6 h in safari in both of those 2 days). The guy is interested only in taking your money (we paid 320e/person) and the service is providing is awful.

Room Tip: do not take rooms located on the ground floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to My Blue Hotel? Share your experiences!